Author Topic: Star Tred Picard, I hope they're not going where I think they're going with this  (Read 3938 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Just caught a clip on YT
Apparently the Borg do what the Borg do because

The Borg Queen is lonely  :facepalm:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
The Borg are not only lonely but are the good Borg now and want to join the Federation.

And just saw this
Gee wonder what they're trying to imply at 0:22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngLciMERwZk
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
The Borg are not only lonely but are the good Borg now and want to join the Federation.

And just saw this
Gee wonder what they're trying to imply at 0:22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngLciMERwZk
Technically, they wanted the Federation to join their organization in the old series. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
I was reflecting that we are further away from the The Next Generation series today than we were from the Original Series when the Next Generation came out.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I was reflecting that we are further away from the The Next Generation series today than we were from the Original Series when the Next Generation came out.

It's like another universe. I haven't watched these new "start trek" shows, but I saw a pretty funny youtube video the other day showing all the discontinuity. As an example, the replicators that didn't exist in TOS are suddenly available in Discovery and I guess Strange New Worlds as well. At least Enterprise did stuff like have twitchy transporters, since it was a new technology.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
With all these changes and deviations from one ST series to the next, it would seem like the future isn't what it used to be.

Or maybe the writers and/or producers really don't really care about Star Trek - to them, it's just the gig before their next one.

Meh.

Not a good time to be a passionate Trekkie.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Or maybe the writers and/or producers really don't really care about Star Trek - to them, it's just the gig before their next one.

This, plus the drive to push "The Message" in nearly every movie and TV series is ruining them as entertainment.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
Not a good time to be a passionate Trekkie.

Just try to ignore anything made after Enterprise
But I will admit like watching a train wreck it's hard not to look once in awhile
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
I do think 'Lower Decks' is generally worth a watch.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
I do think 'Lower Decks' is generally worth a watch.

Almost forgot about that
I've caught some clips of that on YT and the impression I've got is while woke to a certain extend it does respect old Trek for the most part and the rapid fire references they include to Trek lore is quite interesting.  There are YT videos where they try to spot them.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
I have only seen the first episode so far, but 'Strange New Worlds' looks promising.

WLJ

• friends
Discovery doesn't even try to be intelligent

The Difference between TNG and Star Trek Discovery / Short Trek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnlxugk3Qb0
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Thread Necro.

The horrid Discovery is done, so no more woke, whiny college students in space. I never watched it except for the first episode, but each successive youtube clip I watched was more horrid than the last. Apparently even woke people thought the series went overboard on woke.

On to Picard. Season 3 is out. I watched Season 1 and it was "meh", but watchable. Like Discovery, I only caught some youtube clips of season 2. You would expect the clips to be the best parts to reel people in, but they were also crappy and social justicey. I have just watched some clips of season 3, and I think I am going to do a Paramount+ trial to watch the season. It looks good. Bringing more of the STNG characters in shows some are too old for this, but the Worf clips look really good. They must have hired all new writers for season 3.

https://youtu.be/L-JIpj0ybio?t=70

https://youtu.be/a22CJginp6E

WLJ

• friends

The horrid Discovery is done, so no more woke, whiny college students in space. I never watched it except for the first episode, but each successive youtube clip I watched was more horrid than the last. Apparently even woke people thought the series went overboard on woke.

Cue the because it had a powerful black woman screeching
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
https://ew.com/tv/star-trek-discovery-ending-season-5/

Looks like season 5 will be the last for Discovery.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
There was a Star Trek: Discovery?

Huh?

For 5 seasons?

Double huh?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
Is Stacey Abrams still pres of the Federation?
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
Is Stacey Abrams still pres of the Federation?
I think she's just president of Earth - voter suppression kept her from becoming president of the Federation.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
There was a Star Trek: Discovery?

Huh?

For 5 seasons?

Double huh?
I believe it was on the Paramount network so you may not have noticed it. 

I have heard Picard Season 3 is fairly decent.  More like the TNG movies than the series.  Apparently the people running the previous Picard series departed to do other stuff and dumped it on someone who likes Star Trek.  The reviewers I watch say it won't mean good Star Trek going forward, just one last good season before it dies. 

One guy I watch said he went to a viewing of Star Trek II Wrath of Khan with William Shatner saying a few words.  He is in his early 50's and he felt like one of the young people there.  He didn't think the Star Trek universe had a very young audience and would largely die with his generation. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The good thing with season 3 seems to be that you could just about watch it as a standalone season without needing any season 1 or 2 background. About the only thing that would be weird for you is learning that Picard is in a synthetic container now.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
"I believe it was on the Paramount network so you may not have noticed it.  "

I would say that that is the case, then. At least I was aware of ST: Picard...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Anyways, I just now finished up season 3 and it was really, really, good. Sad that it's the end (though watch the final episode past the credits for a potential offshoot) and that they couldn't have done this from season 1. Just very good writing, and I liked the TNG characters better than their TNG versions.

I tortured myself and watched season 2 just beforehand in case there was some continuity I needed to know. Absolutely none, and what a crapfest. As mentioned a few comments up, the season 2 borg turn into good guys. Without giving up any big spoilers, it's like that whole timeline or whatever didn't exist in season 3.

I think you could go from season 1, which does get referenced in season 3, directly to season 3 and skip 2 all together. Or if you think you need to see season 2, do what I did and keep the remote in your hand with you finger hovering over FF. I think I averaged skipping a good 20min per episode of nonsense.

MechAg94

• friend
I finished the 3rd episode this week.  It is good so far.  I heard it gets better.  I hope to binge most of it over the weekend.

WLJ

• friends
Possible Spoiler Alert
Probably an oversight on the writers part but Data referred to Spot more the once as HE despite Spot having kittens in an TNG episode. But nowadays you can't be sure if it actually was an oversight.  :O
Spoiler Alert Off
- Calvin and Hobbes