Author Topic: Chick-fil-A  (Read 5093 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Chick-fil-A
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2023, 09:08:35 AM »
Honestly I can see NY's point on this when it comes to rest stops.

"While there is nothing objectionable about a fast food restaurant closing on a particular day of the week, service areas dedicated to travelers is an inappropriate location for such a restaurant," the bill's justification reads. "Publicly owned service areas should use their space to maximally benefit the public. Allowing for retail space to go unused one seventh of the week or more is a disservice and unnecessary inconvenience to travelers who rely on these service areas."

Graham threatens 'war' over New York's new bill that would require Chick-fil-A to be open on Sundays
https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/graham-threatens-war-new-yorks-new-bill-that-would-require-chick-fil-a-open-sundays
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2023, 09:13:51 AM »

Yeah, I can see that in rest stops, airports, etc. Though they knew CFA's policy when they signed them up. They should never have signed with them vs altering the deal later.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2023, 09:15:26 AM »
Ben beat me too it, this isn't a problem with CF but the ones that gave them the contract knowing their hours/days of operation.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2023, 09:22:46 AM »
Ben beat me too it, this isn't a problem with CF but the ones that gave them the contract knowing their hours/days of operation.

Agreed. I think it's just a thinly veiled dig at CFA and the values they hold.  It's not a genuine attempt to improve services at rest stops.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2023, 09:32:14 AM »
You see the story I heard is that when Jesus Chicken was initially contracted with for the rest stops is the authorities were fine with it since other vendors at the stops were open on Sunday…much like a mall food court.

You don’t get to be OK with something like that at the start and then change your mind down the road and blame it on CFA.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2023, 09:34:11 AM »
You see the story I heard is that when Jesus Chicken was initially contracted with for the rest stops is the authorities were fine with it since other vendors at the stops were open on Sunday…much like a mall food court.

You don’t get to be OK with something like that at the start and then change your mind down the road and blame it on CFA.

If true that's a case of changing the rules after the fact and that changes things a bit.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2023, 01:25:26 PM »
I wonder if their being closed on Sunday is really such a disservice or inconvenience. Does it outweigh the fact that people just really love them some CFA every other day of the week? 'Cause people really be lovin' them some CFA.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2023, 03:07:54 PM »
I wonder if their being closed on Sunday is really such a disservice or inconvenience. Does it outweigh the fact that people just really love them some CFA every other day of the week? 'Cause people really be lovin' them some CFA.

It’s not. It’s just something the left loves to bleat about

Plenty of local restaurants here are closed one or two days a week. Sunday and Monday or Monday and Tuesday seem to be popular for those schedules. Real BBQ places are only open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday and you don’t see the whining about either of those cases, but Chick Fil A closed on Sundays, might as well be the eating at a KKK buffet.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #83 on: December 23, 2023, 05:40:06 PM »
If true that's a case of changing the rules after the fact and that changes things a bit.
From what I've seen so far, CFA contracted with the New York State Thruway Authority (A stage agency?) to provide service 6 days a week, excluding Sundays.

So my question is - legally, CAN the state pass and enforce a law that changes a valid existing contract with a state agency? If the contract is valid, I don't see how they can change the terms under which CFA operates until such time as the existing contract expires.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2023, 05:45:02 PM »
IMHO, they can pass the law and use it to not renew the contract.  But it's unenforceable against CFA (or anyone else with a similar contract) for the duration of the contract.
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #85 on: December 24, 2023, 02:26:43 PM »
Lindsey Graham has entered the chat

If this goes forward, I will be introducing legislation withholding federal funds from any city or state that requires @ChickfilA to stay open on Sunday.

The founders of Chick-fil-A made a decision early on to close on Sunday, consistent with their faith. For any government to…
    — Lindsey Graham (@LindseyGrahamSC) December 22, 2023
https://twitchy.com/amy-curtis/2023/12/24/lindsey-graham-chick-fil-a-ny-n2391090
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #86 on: December 24, 2023, 02:40:34 PM »
Let's have some 10th Amendment correctness and withhold federal funding from the states and local government, period.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #87 on: December 24, 2023, 03:31:16 PM »
It's a safe move for spineless Lindsey Graham because he knows his legislation will go exactly nowhere.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #88 on: December 24, 2023, 07:07:33 PM »
It's a safe move for spineless Lindsey Graham because he knows his legislation will go exactly nowhere.

This. It’s no shock that retard is tilting at this windmill. It’s what he does when he’s in between voting with the Democrats to “reach across the aisle” and *expletive deleted*ck us all over. That piece of *expletive deleted*it…

HankB

• friend
« Reply #89 on: December 25, 2023, 07:49:40 AM »
This. It’s no shock that retard is tilting at this windmill. It’s what he does when he’s in between voting with the Democrats to “reach across the aisle” and *expletive deleted*ck us all over. That piece of *expletive deleted*it…

+1 to both the above.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #90 on: December 25, 2023, 01:10:51 PM »

Then New York shouldn't have signed a contract that stipulated Chick-fil-A would be closed on Sundays.

There's this thing about contracts -- they are agreements that are binding in both parties who sign them. The State of New York agreed that the Chick-fil-A franchises along the NY Thruway would be closed on Sundays, and now the State of New York isn't happy with their [own] decision.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #91 on: December 25, 2023, 01:11:58 PM »
Then New York shouldn't have signed a contract that stipulated Chick-fil-A would be closed on Sundays.

There's this thing about contracts -- they are agreements that are binding in both parties who sign them. The State of New York agreed that the Chick-fil-A franchises along the NY Thruway would be closed on Sundays, and now the State of New York isn't happy with their [own] decision.

See reply 80
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2023, 02:17:36 AM »
Politicians in New York or any of its political subdivisions do not observe the rules of decency, honor, justice, fair play, or the restraints of contract law or the Constitution.

That ploy of "reaching across the aisle" in terms of lauding and even co-sponsoring opposition laws they know will not pass is so common that the iggerink voters never catch on to it.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #93 on: December 27, 2023, 06:40:35 AM »
Chick-fil-A: That wasn't part of our deal!

New York: I am altering the deal, pray I don't alter it any further.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #94 on: December 27, 2023, 11:27:47 PM »
Chick-fil-A: That wasn't part of our deal!

New York: I am altering the deal, pray I don't alter it any further.

You should have added the pulsing breath sounds.  :rofl:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2023, 07:13:21 AM »
You know, it just dawned on me...

The scene in Cloud City where C3PO go in the door and finds a room of Imperial Storm Troopers?

That may be the only time in any of the movies that one of the troopers actually landed a blaster shot...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2023, 11:26:17 AM »

The scene in Cloud City where C3PO go in the door and finds a room of Imperial Storm Troopers?

That may be the only time in any of the movies that one of the troopers actually landed a blaster shot...

Not to further thread drift, I rewatched Star Wars (first film/unaltered) yesterday and remarked the assault on the Rebel ship was pretty impressive given their later reputation.  I think Kenobi jinxed them when he remarked "Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2023, 11:41:41 AM »
Not to further thread drift, I rewatched Star Wars (first film/unaltered) yesterday and remarked the assault on the Rebel ship was pretty impressive given their later reputation.  I think Kenobi jinxed them when he remarked "Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise."

It is pretty clear in the movie both from Tarkin's and Vader's statements that the Stromtroopers were ordered to let them escape from the Death Star so that the M-Falcon could be tracked to the rebel base. Leia then makes the comment "They let us go. It's the only explanation for the ease of our escape". You want to face someone who has a "I Force Choke for Fun" bumper sticker on his TIE Fighter after shooting Luke after being ordered not to?

Later getting beat by a bunch of Teddy Bears in VI is another matter.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 11:55:09 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2023, 12:45:01 PM »

I remember the very first SW movie (Now Episode 4) - I took my parents to see it when it was in the theaters. When the stormtroopers boarded the Rebel ship right at the beginning, they FILLED the corridor with blaster shots, hitting noting - my mother remarked "WHY CAN'T THEY HIT ANYTHING" to which I replied "YOU'RE A BETTER SHOT THAN THEY ARE, MOM!!"

The people in the row ahead of us turned to look, so I looked 'em in the eye and said, "WELL, SHE IS!"   :rofl:

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2023, 04:32:22 PM »
Seeing the screaming idiot made me wonder if anyone knew who she was.

Yep.

Jessica Starr.

https://www.itv.com/news/2017-01-20/protester-who-screamed-at-trumps-inauguration-this-is-not-america

I'd love to see her account of how she survived the violence of Trump's 4 years in the White House.

Given her bit of street theater I'd not be surprised if she didn't become a semi-professional protestor.

Or the screaming chick in adult films.

I never realized the person in that photo is a woman!
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame