Author Topic: Anybody here do YouTube products?  (Read 482 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Anybody here do YouTube products?
« on: March 15, 2022, 08:58:24 AM »
So I guess the term is “content”.
I’m considering trying some short videos on stuff I myself find interesting. Maybe some old tool rescue and rehab, maybe some woodworking or welding, shooting or reloading, just random stuff.
I am getting ready to do a controlled burn on 17 acres of prairie and have reached out to a young local guy with camera drones, might be exciting.
I’m not willing to let it consume all my time. I am most intimidated by the video editing process and I tend to shoot from the lip rather than follow a script.
Any tips or advice?
Thanks
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Anybody here do YouTube products?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 09:08:01 AM »
1. Have an idea what you're going to say before you ever hit the record button. Even if you don't follow a script at least have some notes. Stick to them.
2. Get to the point. Don't ramble.
3. Cover salient points/actions completely but don't belabor them.
4. When you're done, be done. Don't keep blathering on.
5. Unless there is something extremely technical that needs extra time to be covered in detail, limit vids to 10-12 minutes.
6. No need for fancy video editing but some basic cleanup and titling can work wonders. There are several good freeware video editors out there.
7. Finally, be entertaining, educational, or funny. Preferably a combination of all three. Usually works best by just being yourself. The best content in the world can't overcome a dull, lifeless, boring presentation.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 09:16:41 AM »
Don't explain how to make a match, or how to light a match. Light the dang match.
Blog under construction

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 09:28:02 AM »
Don't explain how to make a match, or how to light a match. Light the dang match.
Can I use a vintage zippo instead?

I think I can be somewhat entertaining but if I’m wrong, I can go back to my normal life. Not looking to become a YT star 🌟! I actually have quite a bit of experience public speaking and in theater.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 10:12:32 AM »
I spent most of 2020 recovering from multiple surgeries while watching YouTube videos.
I'm practically an expert at what I like to watch.

Things that will get me to click off a video RFN:
Bad audio- wind noise, muffled voice, overly loud background noise.
Bad voice work- uh,uhm, like, ya know, uh, like ....
Bad camera work- shakey camera, blurry images, to fast pan and zoom, portrait mode, irrelevant obligatory drone footage.
Long introduction-  more than 15-20 seconds is way too much.
Unsafe acts- careless gun handling,  improper use of tools and such.

Go for it, post the link when you're done.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2022, 10:15:57 AM »
wranglerstar does a pretty good job, you could pick up some tips from him. Look at his earlier stuff, the more recent stuff isn't as compelling IMHO.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2022, 10:22:50 AM »
Thanks.
Wrangler star has resorted to click bait. His earlier stuff was good but he is technically very well equipped and capable.
I might start with a short teaser on the anticipated prairie burn with some “before” video. then do a hatchet rescue. A 1930s ECSimmons Keen Kutter that was a dollar on a yard sale or maybe an axe review of several rescues. Everybody seems to be doing axe stuff recently.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2022, 10:23:39 AM »
I've toyed with it a bit.

I've found that the editing and computer work is tedious and time consuming.

Audio quality is hugely important.  Even with good mics, I had background static.  Post processing with audacity helped clean it up.

You don't really recognize it much when you're watching videos, but in periods where you're showing some process but not speaking, you need to sort some appropriate ambient background music.

Tripods.

Indoors, lighting is really important.  Three point lighting with a key, background and fill light is classic for a good reason, it works.

Some (most?) LED's produce flicker artifacts.  *expletive deleted*it DC filtering, cuts costs.  I run the workshop lights off high voltage dc for this reason.

Thanks.
Wrangler star has resorted to click bait. His earlier stuff was good but he is technically very well equipped and capable.

Tis the life-cycle of youtube:
Start taking videos of stuff you're doing for fun.
Once you've got some people following, turn on the monetization.
Once the money starts coming in, start going more pro: better equipment, maybe some help editing.
Sponsorship?  Hey, here's more money if you start talking about our VPN or online service in the middle of your video!
People get tired of your crap, viewership drops
Creator starts getting desperate, and tries to get those clicks by clickbaiting.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2022, 10:25:53 AM »
Big Clive: Excellent example of what can be done with minimal equipment, good knowledge, pleasant presentation, and witty delivery. Editing limited mostly to simple cuts, and that's if there is any editing at all.

AvE: Master of ebullient oratory and hilarious over-analysis grounded in a solid knowledge core. Bonus points for speaking Canadian French.

South Main Auto: Straightforward presentation in a personable way with solid tech info that's devoid of fluff and filler. Napa is not a sponsor.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2022, 11:20:28 AM »
This is my sole Youtube upload.
I am particularly proud of the voice work.  =D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDmkiwnMQJc
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams