Author Topic: Walmart Distribution Center goes up in flames  (Read 1278 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Walmart Distribution Center goes up in flames
« on: March 16, 2022, 11:15:12 PM »
Big Walmart distribution center burns in Indianapolis

Walmart distribution center catches fire near Indianapolis airport
https://fox59.com/indiana-news/walmart-distribution-center-catches-fire-near-indianapolis-airport/

Walmart Distribution Center WTHR Coverage | 6 p.m. Update | March 16, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik7HW9J4SF4

WATCH: Drone video of Walmart Distribution Center Fire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvBkV7LKyLM
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Walmart Distribution Center goes up in flames
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 12:13:03 AM »
I've heard of fire sales, but this is ridiculous!!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 09:54:23 AM »
I don't understand how the steel trusses supporting the roof collapsed.  We all know that even jet fuel cannot melt steel.  [/sarc]

Heard in an early report that the fire started on a third floor mezzanine.  That's typically where the conveyors run product long distances through a distribution center.  Steel post and truss construction with 3/4 or one inch plywood decking.  The conveyor equipment is screwed down to the decking. I wonder if there was a drive motor failure, or bearing that overheated, maybe an electrical fire.  Some sparks contacting cardboard boxes moving down a conveyor would spread fire quickly through a building like that.
Lots of flammable stuff in a DC
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 09:56:21 AM »
I don't understand how the steel trusses supporting the roof collapsed.  We all know that even jet fuel cannot melt steel.  [/sarc]

An oldie but a goodie.  :rofl:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 10:09:36 AM »
"I don't understand how the steel trusses supporting the roof collapsed.  We all know that even jet fuel cannot melt steel."

Proof positive that Walmart is shipping chemtrail chemicals! Those burn REALLY HOT!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2022, 10:29:12 AM »
I am certainly not a firefighter in any shape or form, but from the video I saw there were 3 ladders putting water on the fire.  One was covering some trailers that were not on fire, understandable, the other 2 were putting water into the structure...with a building that large and so involved it seems kind of useless.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2022, 09:04:54 PM »
13News drone video of the aftermath of Plainfield Walmart fulfillment center fire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afKdkGMdabk
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2022, 01:10:37 AM »

WATCH: Drone video of Walmart Distribution Center Fire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvBkV7LKyLM

Some of that drone video reminded me of the initial stages of the PEPCON Fire in Henderson NV before it blew up.

Large area, lots of dense black smoke, flashes within the mass of smoke...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 02:56:23 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2022, 08:06:28 AM »
So... I'm confused...

Am I getting my cheap Chinese knock off *expletive deleted*it or not?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2022, 08:08:38 AM »
So... I'm confused...

Am I getting my cheap Chinese knock off *expletive deleted*it or not?
Does this mean my fire extinguisher order will be delayed?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2022, 09:10:46 AM »
Does this mean my fire extinguisher order will be delayed?

You'll get it, but it might show up in slightly used condition.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2022, 09:15:05 AM »

Ashes in a zip lock
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2022, 10:30:31 AM »
Well, as long as I know it was tested and worked to stop a fire.

Oh, wait . . .  :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2022, 10:38:41 AM »
That building is a total loss.  As extensive as the fire suppression systems are in a warehouse like that, I wonder why the fire managed to get so completely out of control?  At the very least, the suppression system should have kept the fire contained enough until the fire department could arrive and knock it down completely.
If the fire did indeed start on a third floor mezz as was reported, it was probably in and around live roller conveyor equipment.  Conveyors moving product long distance across a warehouse are usually on mezzanines.  And there's usually fire sprinkler systems interspersed in and above those conveyor systems.
Lots of stuff about this incident that make me wonder.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2022, 10:55:12 AM »
It looks like it got up into the roof structure. If it did that then the fire suppression systems probably weren't able to deal with it as it spread.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2022, 11:26:00 AM »
It looks like it got up into the roof structure. If it did that then the fire suppression systems probably weren't able to deal with it as it spread.

It most certainly did work its way into the roof structure, but that structure is open for the most part.  The main layer is usually corrugated steel decking.  Sprinkler piping is attached just below that deck.  Above that will be insulation and roofing materials.
Why the fire wasn't kept in check enough by the suppression system before it could work its way into the roof structure is a bit of a mystery.  From a third deck mezz to the underside of the roof is around 20-25 feet of open air.  There will be sprinklers in that area of the roof, and probably sprinklers interspersed in the material handling systems on the mezz itself.  Seems odd that the fire would spread that quickly before the FD could arrive to contain it.
Makes me wonder if their suppression system was compromised in some fashion.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2022, 12:08:09 PM »
"Why the fire wasn't kept in check enough by the suppression system before it could work its way into the roof structure is a bit of a mystery."

I answered that a bit farther down...

It's the Chemtrail chemicals that Walmart ships. Those chemicals burn HOT!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2022, 12:18:27 PM »
Chemtrail chemicals will melt steel beams  [tinfoil]
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2022, 12:22:33 PM »
"Why the fire wasn't kept in check enough by the suppression system before it could work its way into the roof structure is a bit of a mystery."

I answered that a bit farther down...

It's the Chemtrail chemicals that Walmart ships. Those chemicals burn HOT!

That's got to be it.   ;)

More seriously, I wonder if this Walmart distribution center was still moving flammable liquids and compressed gas products down their conveyor systems?  My former employer stopped that practice many years ago over fears of this exact problem occurring.  I can see where a large spill of flammable liquid or the breach of a compressed gas cylinder (for camp stoves and lanterns) on the conveyor system could cause a fire of severe enough intensity to overcome the suppression system.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2022, 12:23:18 PM »

Absolutely and for sure.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2022, 12:33:28 PM »
Another thought:  Maybe it was just well executed arson.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2022, 12:52:22 PM »
I blame the NRA, Trump and the Russians.
Total justification for war with Russia.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2022, 01:42:32 PM »
I've seen two rumors as to how it started.  One is that it was an air conditioner that caught fire.  The other is that it was a disgruntled employee who started a fire in a clothing bin.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2022, 02:12:49 PM »
As extensive as the fire suppression systems are in a warehouse like that, I wonder why the fire managed to get so completely out of control?  At the very least, the suppression system should have kept the fire contained enough until the fire department could arrive and knock it down completely.
The fire department was called out to the building because of reports of smoke.  They couldn't find the source so the responding Battalion Chief had them open all the doors.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2022, 03:10:18 PM »
It was an inside job.  The Bush family has a plan to manipulate Walmart stock.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge