Author Topic: I love plumbing!  (Read 1474 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: I love plumbing!
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2022, 07:28:13 AM »
"What they DO give incentives on are hybrid heat pump water heaters, which I have never heard of before:

https://www.idahopower.com/energy-environment/ways-to-save/savings-for-your-home/rebates-and-offers/heating-and-cooling-efficiency-program/heat-pump-water-heater/"

I looked at one of those back in 2016 when I had to replace my water heater.

They were still fairly new at the time, and were pretty expensive compared to the electric unit I was looking at. The killer for me, though, was a growing number of reports of the heat pump unit failing and the manufacturer (Rheem) not really giving a crap.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2022, 09:09:48 AM »
My gas water heater is in its last leg.  Gonna have to replace it this summer I’m guessing.  Debating on another tank or go tankless.  Anyone have any horror stories on the switch to tankless?

No regrets switching to tankless here.  We went from an electric 40 gallon tank to a gas-fired tankless.  The drop in the electric bill was substantially more than the rise in the gas bill.  We're getting about 120° water out of the tankless, but it cools some by the time it makes it through the Pex pipes to the point of use.  It's still plenty hot for all our purposes.  There is a provision in the tankless heater where it will heat to 125° if we activate an override DIP switch, but I've not been tempted to do it.
No changes were needed to our gas lines.  At 3/4 inch they were already sufficient to supply gas for our entire house.  We have a gas stove and a heat pump with gas heat backup when it's too cold outside for the heat pump to heat the house.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2022, 09:47:57 AM »
We are on an 85' well with the water level at 35 feet.  Year round, the cold water temp out of the tap is around 51-53 degrees.  The Noritz propane tankless water heater raises the temp to 140 degrees at 11 gallons per minute with no problem.  The existing gas line for the gas tank water heater was used with no changes.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2022, 10:56:23 AM »
"The Noritz propane tankless water heater raises the temp to 140 degrees at 11 gallons per minute with no problem."

Jesus, that's one beefy unit!

What is it, 330,000 BTU?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2022, 11:22:27 AM »
Based on those numbers, it'd have to be at least 500kbtu/hr.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2022, 11:25:26 AM »
All that hot water's gonna burn you up, kid.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2022, 11:42:14 AM »
The *expletive deleted*ck is he heating?

Seaworld?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2022, 11:46:59 AM »
https://www.noritz.com/product/ez111/

According to the specs, up to 199,000 BTUh per hour. I can say that my wife and I can take showers side by side with the dishwasher also running and there is no lack of hot water. I should add that my wife is apparently a 65 year old teenager in that she likes to take long showers with the water temp at 120 plus degrees or so.  When we had the gas water heater, it was not unusual that in taking a shower after her, I would run out of hot water and that was with the tank thermostat set at 130 degrees.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2022, 11:59:31 AM »
Well somethings clearly off.  11 gpm is 660 gph or 5478 lb/hr.  At an 88F temp rise, that's 482k BTU/HR.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2022, 12:16:16 PM »
Well somethings clearly off.  11 gpm is 660 gph or 5478 lb/hr.  At an 88F temp rise, that's 482k BTU/HR.

When we are both taking a shower, that is 2.5GPH times two for 5 GPH, and the dishwasher only fills a couple of gallons.  So I suspect we are never anywhere near the maximum flow rate and BTUh usage.  Although there have been times that all three showers, the dishwasher and the washing machine are going.