Author Topic: Russia has pulled out of ISS operations/maintenance  (Read 774 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Russia has pulled out of ISS operations/maintenance
« on: April 02, 2022, 11:52:00 AM »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10678705/Russia-END-cooperation-International-space-station.html

This is really sad.

I was hoping that Roskosmos and NASA (and ESA/JAXA and others) could continue to keep this thing operating in spite of the tensions between NATO and Russia.

Then again, with the aerospace and technology sanctions in place against Russia, they likely cannot operate many Soyuz rocket launches and are rationing them for intelligence assets rather than ISS missions.

Very fortunate that Northrop-Grumman's Cygnus cargo craft has recently been certified to provide orbital boost operations for the station, and SpaceX is currently researching modifications to the Dragon capsule's Draco thrusters to enable them to perform the function as well when docked on station.  Still, the ISS is not "two halves."  There are redundancies between Russian and American sections, there are parts that work a lot better on one half than the other, and the station is effectively doomed if the Russian and American sections are separated.

And given Russia's recent SNAFUs with docking capsules and modules to the ISS, perhaps it'll stay in the sky longer without them anyways.  They've thrown the station into a wild tumble twice in the last year or so, and impacted it pretty hard when maneuvering thrusters failed to shut down properly.  Then again, Boeing is about to put its Starliner capsule back in the sky this year for a second qualification test, and the first time they screwed up their thruster software (and mission clock), so maybe the ISS should just have protective bumpers installed instead.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Russia has pulled out of ISS operations/maintenance
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 12:36:39 PM »
I'd be find with the ISS crashing back to earth...

right into the middle of Moscow.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 12:52:24 PM »
I'd be find with the ISS crashing back to earth...

right into the middle of Moscow.

DC would be a good target of opportunity if it misses Moscow.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 02:51:38 PM »
Peking

Or Pyongyang.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2022, 02:59:33 PM »
The ISS is made up of modules aka MIRVs  >:D
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2022, 03:08:17 PM »
Might be time for a little pirating.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2022, 06:37:19 PM »
Might be time for a little pirating.

APS Space Frigate Rodger Young?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2022, 08:10:41 PM »

Sounds good.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2022, 10:04:48 PM »
I was hoping for a SpaceX Serenity, complete with Kaylee and Inara.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2022, 11:40:26 PM »
We might need to find a guy named Cherenkov to invent a space drive first.  I also want some armor. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge