Author Topic: Musk and Twitter  (Read 47748 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Musk and Twitter
« Reply #650 on: November 16, 2022, 10:24:58 AM »
Read further down at the link https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1586108809772089345
Musk bad mouth them after firing them a couple of weeks ago and now he's like "my bad", welcome back!
I don't think you've quite got it yet.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #651 on: November 16, 2022, 10:29:52 AM »
I don't think you've quite got it yet.

And now I see that.
Apparently I wasn't reading far enough  :facepalm:

Nevermind  :rofl:

Too much soap opera crap and I start surface reading
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #652 on: November 16, 2022, 10:49:06 AM »
I wonder if Musk understands the laws on overtime pay.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/16/elon-musk-demands-twitter-staff-commit-to-long-hours-or-leave.html

He is demanding that remaining employees commit to working “long hours at high intensity” or leave. Since he has already fired a bunch of senior executives, most of the employees left are probably not high enough in the corporate ladder to legally qualify as "exempt" (i.e. salaried) employees. That means if he wants all those remaining minions to work long hours, he has to pay them time-and-a-half for all their overtime.

My guess is that he has no intention of doing that.

It's interesting that, while demanding a commitment to working long hours, there's no indication of how many long hours.

I think if I were at Twitter, I'd take the three months severence package and find a real job, working for an employer who isn't an egotistical jerk.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #653 on: November 16, 2022, 10:51:40 AM »
^^^I suspect most employees there are exempt, just like any other dot com.  My nephew works at Microsoft, and virtually everyone who works in the actual IT/software area is exempt.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #654 on: November 16, 2022, 10:55:58 AM »
^^^I suspect most employees there are exempt, just like any other dot com.  My nephew works at Microsoft, and virtually everyone who works in the actual IT/software area is exempt.

How are they exempt? You're an attorney -- to be exempt, certain conditions have to be met. The person has to have executive or decision-making authority. They also can't have their pay docked when they take time off. For an employee to be exempt, it takes a lot more than the employer saying, 'You're salaried, so you don't get paid for overtime." (As one of my former employers found out the hard way.)

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/exempt-employee.asp

https://www.patriotsoftware.com/blog/payroll/exempt-employees-must-meet-specific-qualifications/
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #655 on: November 16, 2022, 11:07:11 AM »
I'm sure they all make the minimum salary and would be considered "learned professionals". Almost anyone working in software or IT is exempt these days.
Not everyone can learn to code ya know?
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #656 on: November 16, 2022, 11:17:52 AM »
How are they exempt? You're an attorney -- to be exempt, certain conditions have to be met. The person has to have executive or decision-making authority. They also can't have their pay docked when they take time off. For an employee to be exempt, it takes a lot more than the employer saying, 'You're salaried, so you don't get paid for overtime." (As one of my former employers found out the hard way.)

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/exempt-employee.asp

https://www.patriotsoftware.com/blog/payroll/exempt-employees-must-meet-specific-qualifications/

You don’t have to be a senior executive to be exempt.  Fresh out of undergrad engineers making $70k are usually exempt employees.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #657 on: November 16, 2022, 11:42:47 AM »
You don’t have to be a senior executive to be exempt.  Fresh out of undergrad engineers making $70k are usually exempt employees.
Yep.

From Hawkmoon's own link:
  • The FLSA includes these job categories as exempt: professional, administrative, executive, outside sales, and computer-related.
  • The details vary by state, but if an employee falls in the above categories, is salaried, and earns a minimum of $684 per week or $35,568 annually, then they are considered exempt.
I'm guessing most of the relevant Twitter employees are making more than $35,568 and can be considered one of the categories listed.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #658 on: November 16, 2022, 11:51:23 AM »
I point out that there may be state laws that are more restrictive than the Federal laws on dot com employees being exempt vs. non-exempt.  California is an example: effective January 1, 2022, there are a number of tests to determine if a computer professional is exempt or non-exempt for purposes of paying overtime. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #659 on: November 16, 2022, 11:55:14 AM »
I started out of college as an engineer.  Been exempt my entire career.  Never had pay docked because I was sick, but never got paid extra for working over either.  Generally, if exempt people end up working too much OT or too much travel, they find another job.  When I have seen hourly guys switched over to salary, they were usually given a boost in base pay to try to account for the OT they were getting paid for.  Some are okay with that, others are not. 

I don't know what they mean by long hours.  That could just mean working a full 40 hours a week.  I am sure someone at Twitter was working, but it sure seemed like they were heavy with people who weren't doing much that was useful. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #660 on: November 16, 2022, 11:56:43 AM »
I point out that there may be state laws that are more restrictive than the Federal laws on dot com employees being exempt vs. non-exempt.  California is an example: effective January 1, 2022, there are a number of tests to determine if a computer professional is exempt or non-exempt for purposes of paying overtime.
Good point on the state specific laws.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #661 on: November 16, 2022, 01:06:28 PM »
I don't know what they mean by long hours.  That could just mean working a full 40 hours a week.  I am sure someone at Twitter was working, but it sure seemed like they were heavy with people who weren't doing much that was useful.

This. I recall a Twitter employee complaining that they had to work like four hours a week a while back.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #662 on: November 16, 2022, 01:16:07 PM »
At PACCAR I have never been paid a dime for OT.  At aerospace companies I’ve been paid for OT, but only at straight time equivalent hourly rate, and in some cases the first 5 or 8 hours of OT was unpaid, or you had to work at least 5-8 hours of OT to get paid for any, but then you got paid for it all.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #663 on: November 16, 2022, 01:44:25 PM »
Even fed.gov employees have professional "exempt" categories. I was allowed limited comp time, but the only time I got OT was in special circumstance emergency response work. For the regular office stuff, I usually averaged 50hrs/week, no OT. Even for fieldwork, like diving and flying, while I got hazard pay (which was a joke of an amount), no OT, even on day trips where the boat left at 0300 and got back at 1900.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #664 on: November 16, 2022, 02:16:04 PM »
Who are Ligma & Johnson?

Ligma Johnson

Close cousins of Ligma Balls

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #665 on: November 16, 2022, 10:32:24 PM »

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #666 on: November 17, 2022, 06:06:51 PM »
 :rofl:

Fired Twitter Employee Applies For First Real Job
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-voQsFY6SE
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #668 on: November 18, 2022, 08:00:48 AM »
One of my favorite parts of the takeover is the now balanced fact checking that is driving the left crazy (because they are now being fact checked for the first time in the history of twitter),

https://www.foxnews.com/media/surge-twitter-fact-checks-progressive-figures-praise-tech-watchdogs

I also saw another article where Elon sent an email requiring a mandatory yes or no answer about employees agreeing to actually work like normal people instead of putting in 5 hours a week from home. If they answered "no", they were automatically fired with three months severance. It started a spree of tantrum quitting, which is probably something he was hoping for.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #669 on: November 18, 2022, 08:43:25 AM »
And the latest.

Those Twit employees who survived the mass layoff are now apparently resigning in droves because they don't want to commit to working hard.

You took my nap room! You took my free lunches! You took my emotional support puppies, kittens, and coloring books! And now you actually expect me to WORK? You're a monster!

https://www.foxnews.com/media/musk-triggers-liberals-email-urging-employees-commit-extremely-hardcore-work-musks-hellscape

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Musk's only miscalculation in this entire mess is that he should have demanded this commitment FIRST, before laying off a ton of people. Had he done so it's likely he would have gotten the head count reductions he wanted and without having to resort to the axe.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #670 on: November 18, 2022, 09:31:04 AM »
Those Twit employees who survived the mass layoff are now apparently resigning in droves
Who's Elon going to be left with?
It's rarely the best and the brightest that stay behind when a company experiences a significant change or mass exodus like this. It tends to be the people who are in the country on work visas or aren't talented enough to easily find employment elsewhere.

You took my nap room! You took my free lunches!
Maybe it morphed into something else by now, but in the beginning many of these "perks" were just simple ways to keep employees from doing anything else besides working. Sleep at the office and work through your lunch break.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #671 on: November 18, 2022, 09:43:09 AM »
Who's Elon going to be left with?
It's rarely the best and the brightest that stay behind when a company experiences a significant change or mass exodus like this. It tends to be the people who are in the country on work visas or aren't talented enough to easily find employment elsewhere.
Maybe it morphed into something else by now, but in the beginning many of these "perks" were just simple ways to keep employees from doing anything else besides working. Sleep at the office and work through your lunch break.

Bet most of the people leaving are basically worthless and aren't going to be missed.
Just how many people are required to run twitter? Probably a tiny fraction of the number that was there.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #672 on: November 18, 2022, 09:48:31 AM »
Bet most of the people leaving are basically worthless and aren't going to be missed.
Just how many people are required to run twitter? Probably a tiny fraction of the number that was there.

If they had titles like "content overlord" or whatever the *expletive deleted*ck other weird job titles there were for people with no real skills, who even cares if they were "the best and brightest" at that? It sounds like Elon wants all those jobs gone anyway and is looking for engineers and actual software coders.

Real engineers versus "social engineers". I'm sure he'll find plenty of skilled engineers that want to make a boatload of money and don't care about working 40-50 hours a week because they're doing that anyway at their current job.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #673 on: November 18, 2022, 10:08:15 AM »

Depends on what exactly you mean by "run Twitter".  Keep the site operational so folks can Tweet and see other tweets, or shape a worldwide societal narrative.

Real engineers versus "social engineers". I'm sure he'll find plenty of skilled engineers that want to make a boatload of money and don't care about working 40-50 hours a week because they're doing that anyway at their current job.

See above.

I think that's the real cause of all the Twitter [ex]employee, and liberal twitter user angst.  It's not that these social engineers weren't doing anything between there rounds of meditation, massage, and Kambucha.  It's that they WERE doing something they thought was important, and now they are told it's not important, and their work will be undone.  And to top it off, they can't say what they were really doing that has them so wound up, because they spent a decade wink, wink, nudge, nudge saying they weren't doing it. 

Personally I love to see unemployed collectivist social engineers as, like locusts, when they do labor they only destroy useful things.  I have also been entertained spending the morning reading about the end of Twitter, on Twitter.

It remains to be seen how many of the folks at Twitter are going to be onboard with it's new direction, and whether Elon can find enough over-dedicated folks to run it.  I think he's been successful at finding those folks to work at Tesla and SpaceX because he sells the companies to employees as transformative to humanity and doing important work.  Folks are more willing to work crazy hard hours and sacrifice downtime if they think they are changing the world*.  I don't know if Elon will be able to sell "Twitter 2.0" as the exciting, transformative, cutting edge place to be that attracts the type A personalities he wants to employ.  I guess we'll see how he brands it and what he says he plans to do with it.  SpaceX crashed a lot of rockets before they landed one.  I'd expect to see a similar number of "crashed" ideas at Twitter before (if) they manage some paradigm shifting social media product.

*Ironically, last year's Twitter employees seem to be the exception to this.  They thought they were shaping the world, but still weren't willing to work super hard.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #674 on: November 18, 2022, 10:14:55 AM »
Can Elon buy DC?
As in the whole package.
- Calvin and Hobbes