Author Topic: Musk and Twitter  (Read 46663 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Musk and Twitter
« Reply #675 on: November 18, 2022, 10:33:40 AM »
Is it a bad thing if Twitter implodes? Is it bad for the world?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #676 on: November 18, 2022, 10:34:28 AM »
Can Elon buy DC?
As in the whole package.

He already has a missile. Sometimes buying the thing isn’t the most cost effective way to get a few redundancies of staff handled.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #677 on: November 18, 2022, 10:40:59 AM »
Ligma Johnson
Close cousins of Ligma Balls
Meet my eastern cousin, Harry Balsczak

It'll be okay. Twitter is just an imaginary place.
7-11 was a part time job.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #678 on: November 18, 2022, 10:42:19 AM »

I still sometimes think maybe that's what Elon actually wants, and that he'll change it to something else entirely.

I saw that AOC put out some stupid statement about the millions of people mad at Elon. I wonder if she has considered that there are TENS of millions of people happy with him, and another TENS of millions of people that don't care. Twitter users are actually not that big of a subset of the overall population. They're just mouthy.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #679 on: November 18, 2022, 10:49:06 AM »
I don't think so. I'm sure many people would miss Twitchy, people seem to love that.

Before Elon bought it there was grandiose talk about Twitter being vitally important to free speech and many people seemed to buy into that - calling it the new town square. That always seemed a bit silly to me but it was a big talking point leading up to the purchase.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #680 on: November 18, 2022, 10:54:11 AM »
I don't think so. I'm sure many people would miss Twitchy, people seem to love that.

Before Elon bought it there was grandiose talk about Twitter being vitally important to free speech and many people seemed to buy into that - calling it the new town square. That always seemed a bit silly to me but it was a big talking point leading up to the purchase.

I get a hoot out of twitchy, but I got along fine before it existed and will happily get along fine without it, and with whatever new platform I find that makes fun of hippies and losers.  :laugh:

Twitter's beginnings were that of a "free speech" platform in the vein of people being able to speak freely worldwide, even within repressive governments. Also as an expeditious way to get news out during natural disasters, conflicts, wars, etc. These were laudable goals. They evaporated within the first ten years. Whether it's noise from the left or noise from the right, it's all just noise now, with 0.0005% signal.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #681 on: November 18, 2022, 10:56:18 AM »
^^^My wife persuaded me to sign up for Twitter to get news about power outages, natural disasters, breaking news and the like.  It is handy for that.  I don't follow anyone on Twitter.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #682 on: November 18, 2022, 11:11:10 AM »

Yes.  Maybe.  Could be.

Twitter, and more expansively social media, has become where a lot of "public opinion" of the world, and especially the western world is formed, and decisions that affect us are made by people and governments on the basis of that opinion.  I think that "the discourse" has always happened somewhere.  Federalist/Anti-Federalist papers being published.  Newspapers in general, but certainly the Yellow Press, later televised debates, talk shows and things like 60 Minutes (circa 1968), later still CNN through the 80's and 90s.  All the various editorial pages and magazines, and now on the nebulous "Social Media".  A decent argument could be made that nailing a list of complaints to a church door is very public discourse. This discourse will happen, and where it does, people will seek to control it for their own ends.

Look at how the Western governments and populations are responding to the war in Ukraine for one example.  The pushing of The Woke tm is spearheaded on social media.  Chinese interests are being pushed on TikTok with a striking lack of subtlety.  There are plenty of other examples.

All of which is to say, that there is plenty of harm that can come from opaque interests controlling and shaping the direction of the public discourse, since that discourse ends up shaping social and government policy.  If Twitter is to implode and disappear today, I think we can predict with a high level of confidence that some other means of communication will rise to fill the void in public discourse, and that folks in power will attempt to guide or control that means of communication for their own ends.  Elon is certainly not a savior, or even necessarily a nice person, but he at least seems committed to guiding Twitter towards a neutral[ish] version of discourse control, which I think is better for my preferred goal of individual liberty, then any of the other options likely to rise and fill the void were Twitter to fail.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #683 on: November 18, 2022, 11:32:48 AM »
Can Elon buy DC?
As in the whole package.

The comic book publisher or the wretched hive of scum and villainy?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #684 on: November 18, 2022, 01:16:31 PM »
Look at how the Western governments and populations are responding to the war in Ukraine for one example.  The pushing of The Woke tm is spearheaded on social media.  Chinese interests are being pushed on TikTok with a striking lack of subtlety.  There are plenty of other examples.

Twitter could easily be a factor in WW3, or at least escalated conflict. Just look at a few days ago, when twitter was awash in blue check "The Russians fired a missile at Poland!" talk, and the MSM and politicians ran with that (though I actually have to give some props to the Biden admin for early on saying "we don't know" rather than "Ruskies!").

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #685 on: November 18, 2022, 01:45:48 PM »
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1593673844996288512?s=20&t=xsLaXfSvdZjyP3gfgTsavA

Quote from: Elon Musk
Kathie Griffin, Jorden Peterson & Babylon Bee have been reinstated.

Trump decision has not yet been made.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #686 on: November 18, 2022, 01:51:55 PM »
Plumbing is all the rage now.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #687 on: November 18, 2022, 01:53:11 PM »
"Trump decision has not yet been made."

He doesn't want the building burnt down by a mostly peaceful raging mob of San Fran SJWs.....yet.
Needs to make sure nothing valuable is left in there first.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #688 on: November 18, 2022, 05:17:14 PM »
"Trump decision has not yet been made."

He doesn't want the building burnt down by a mostly peaceful raging mob of San Fran SJWs.....yet.
Needs to make sure nothing valuable is left in there first.

Maybe he's waiting for more TDS patients to resign. Better to not give them the opportunity to show off how bravely and piously anti-Trump they are, by resigning in protest.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #689 on: November 18, 2022, 05:23:11 PM »
Maybe he's waiting for more TDS patients to resign. Better to not give them the opportunity to show off how bravely and piously anti-Trump they are, by resigning in protest.

Or he's just making the suspense last.  Theatrical timing and all that.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #690 on: November 18, 2022, 05:28:36 PM »
Or he's just making the suspense last.  Theatrical timing and all that.

Could have timed it with Trump's announcement...

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #691 on: November 19, 2022, 07:53:16 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #692 on: November 19, 2022, 07:58:04 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #693 on: November 19, 2022, 08:16:00 AM »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #694 on: November 19, 2022, 08:21:16 AM »
Elon Musk has committed an act of war!!!!!!!!!!!

Arise Wokeastan. Your nation calls you to battle!
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #695 on: November 19, 2022, 08:40:42 AM »
    ‘In light of the uncertainty around Twitter, and out of an abundance of caution, CBS News is pausing its activity on the social media site, as it continues to monitor the platform.’

CBS News and its owned and operated stations are “pausing” activity on Twitter; blaming “uncertainty” on the platform. pic.twitter.com/Pv1gEQjQJH

— Jim Lokay (@LokayFOX5) November 19, 2022
https://twitchy.com/fuzzychimp-313137/2022/11/19/lol-cbs-news-is-pausing-their-use-of-twitter-out-of-an-abundance-of-caution/

« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 12:20:30 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #696 on: November 19, 2022, 10:44:25 AM »
And there it is.  The left can't help themselves from stealing.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #697 on: November 19, 2022, 10:53:20 AM »
And there it is.  The left can't help themselves from stealing.

The left's answer to everything, total government control.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #698 on: November 19, 2022, 11:50:00 AM »
From the desk of Elon Musk

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #699 on: November 19, 2022, 12:27:09 PM »
And the war continues  :rofl:
She's not used to getting fact checked.

AOC’s response to Elon Musk’s Twitter poll about Trump earns a fact-checking
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/11/19/aocs-response-to-elon-musks-twitter-poll-about-trump-earns-a-fact-checking/

- Calvin and Hobbes