Author Topic: Musk and Twitter  (Read 46569 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Musk and Twitter
« Reply #801 on: December 05, 2022, 12:51:05 PM »
This could be a fun one...

Kyle Rittenhouse has asked Musk to reveal if there was a Twitter censorship campaign against him...

https://www.foxnews.com/media/kyle-rittenhouse-goes-viral-asking-twitter-files-reveal-hidden-censoring
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #802 on: December 05, 2022, 02:25:16 PM »
No, like age ratings on movies.

Grandma may want a PG account.  Someone else might want an R rated account.

But who decides the ratings? What objective criteria can be established for what rating a post will receive?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #803 on: December 05, 2022, 06:10:14 PM »
DNC, Media Collude To Suppress Story About DNC, Media Colluding To Suppress Story
https://babylonbee.com/news/dnc-media-collude-to-suppress-story-about-dnc-media-colluding-to-suppress-story
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #804 on: December 05, 2022, 10:02:29 PM »
But who decides the ratings? What objective criteria can be established for what rating a post will receive?

Beats me.  You could just re-use the standards for movie ratings I suppose.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #805 on: December 06, 2022, 11:56:28 AM »
Maybe it morphed into something else by now, but in the beginning many of these "perks" were just simple ways to keep employees from doing anything else besides working. Sleep at the office and work through your lunch break.
I guess the nap rooms are back ;/
Elon Musk's “extremely hardcore” vision for Twitter seems to have manifested itself in conference-room sleeping quarters reminiscent of sad hotel rooms at the company's recently depopulated headquarters.

On Monday, employees returning to work at the company’s San Francisco location were greeted by modest bedrooms featuring unmade mattresses, drab curtains and giant conference-room telepresence monitors
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #806 on: December 07, 2022, 08:22:32 AM »
I see that SanFran is "investigating" Elon over the sleeping quarters. He needs to close that building down and move the operation to America.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #807 on: December 07, 2022, 09:15:56 AM »
Doesn't anyone just sleep in their office anymore?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #808 on: December 07, 2022, 04:04:20 PM »

With the rent rates in that city who wouldn't if they could get away with it?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #809 on: December 07, 2022, 08:12:36 PM »

We need Linus Larrabee's input on this.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #810 on: December 09, 2022, 07:23:36 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #811 on: December 09, 2022, 01:16:27 PM »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #812 on: December 09, 2022, 01:37:08 PM »
One more reason why some elections can simply not be regarded as legitimate - unless you're very gullible.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #813 on: December 09, 2022, 03:00:52 PM »
I just wish that Elon would buy Google. They are twitter x1000, and have a far greater effect, given numbers of people who use anything google related vs twitter.

I recently made a comment post for a youtube video - a totally innocuous post on something that had zero politics attached - and it was disappeared. Doing some (ironically) googling,  I discovered a whole big rabbit hole on how youtube scrubs video comments, often with seemingly no rhyme or reason, and in great numbers.

All of big tech needs sunlight.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #814 on: December 09, 2022, 03:10:29 PM »
I recently made a comment post for a youtube video - a totally innocuous post on something that had zero politics attached - and it was disappeared. Doing some (ironically) googling,  I discovered a whole big rabbit hole on how youtube scrubs video comments, often with seemingly no rhyme or reason, and in great numbers.
It's more complicated than that.  Creators can also set up banned word lists that will block posts featuring certain words as well as perform administration on comments on their videos.  Just because a comment was disappeared doesn't always mean Google did it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #815 on: December 09, 2022, 03:15:06 PM »
It's more complicated than that.  Creators can also set up banned word lists that will block posts featuring certain words as well as perform administration on comments on their videos.  Just because a comment was disappeared doesn't always mean Google did it.

I recognize that and certainly a creator could have deleted me, manually or automatically. However this was at Warrior Poet Society, where I commented on John's video about book banning, stealth editing, etc. He was making a case for people to find hardcopy classics before they are stealth banned from bookstores, etc. All I posted was that a good resource for classics was the Gutenberg Project. I didn't even post the URL. That was disappeared. I can't see his channel killing a post that agrees with him. Certainly it could have been an algorithm error.

Nevertheless, an internet search will bring up some pretty blatant censoring by google, much of it appearing to be worse than twitter.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #816 on: December 09, 2022, 03:57:00 PM »

Except in the case of The Poorman's Chemist, who expressly refused to censor anything on principle, and youtube was still deleting or shadowing half the comments people were leaving in his videos.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #817 on: December 09, 2022, 04:01:18 PM »
Except in the case of The Poorman's Chemist, who expressly refused to censor anything on principle, and youtube was still deleting or shadowing half the comments people were leaving in his videos.
I am aware that Youtube censors stuff, but I was pointing out that creators can also make word lists for automatic comment suppression.  People putting together their own word lists often make them too broad.

Not sure which is impacting Ben, but both are a possibility.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #818 on: December 09, 2022, 04:06:15 PM »
Not sure which is impacting Ben, but both are a possibility.

Now that I'm thinking about it, regarding the WPS post, I will put on my tinfoil and recall that I did use the phrases "stealth censor" and "stealth edit", and will note that big tech is rather sensitive to those two terms.  =)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #819 on: December 09, 2022, 04:12:03 PM »
I, too, have suffered a great deal from Big Tech censorship. Lost to mankind forever are many of my unfathomably deep, sophisticated, witty, urbane, polished, erudite, deeply researched and broadly-sourced - yet refreshingly down-to-earth and accessible, eminently readable - thoughts and musings.

I must go now, and broodingly ponder the sadness of it all.

Sorry, what are we talking about?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #820 on: December 09, 2022, 04:17:59 PM »
I, too, have suffered a great deal from Big Tech censorship. Lost to mankind forever are many of my unfathomably deep, sophisticated, witty, urbane, polished, erudite, deeply researched and broadly-sourced - yet refreshingly down-to-earth and accessible, eminently readable - thoughts and musings.

I must go now, and broodingly ponder the sadness of it all.

Sorry, what are we talking about?

Wait until you find out how many of your older posts here that APS staff have deleted.  =D

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #821 on: December 09, 2022, 04:21:10 PM »
Wait until you find out how many of your older posts here that APS staff have deleted.  =D

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #822 on: December 09, 2022, 08:24:21 PM »

Why is my post count 4?

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #823 on: December 10, 2022, 12:02:22 AM »
We need Linus Larrabee's input on this.

[popcorn]  =D
Good movie.  Harrison Ford remake was almost as good.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #824 on: December 10, 2022, 12:48:14 AM »
[popcorn]  =D
Good movie.  Harrison Ford remake was almost as good.

Bogie's character had a studio apartment attached to his office.