Author Topic: Any of youse guys have a 3D printer?  (Read 1746 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: Any of youse guys have a 3D printer?
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2022, 10:54:19 AM »
Nah, it failed at the back where the bolt bottoms out, but it was a progressive failure.

First the brace and brace tube broke (in transport, not shooting) and I decided to see how long it would last.  it took like another couple mags of that blowback bolt hitting the back of the receiver with no support to break that at the layer lines, and crack the receiver from the top down to the hole for the safety.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2022, 11:22:58 AM »
How hard would it be to print something to take aluminum or steel reinforcements for some areas? Seems like that's why the good lord made Superglue...
Blog under construction

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2022, 11:29:21 AM »
How hard would it be to print something to take aluminum or steel reinforcements for some areas? Seems like that's why the good lord made Superglue...

If you're good with CAD, not hard at all.
I promise not to duck.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2022, 12:14:15 PM »
Hmmm... Time to fire up the Bridgeport, I guess, and make some inserts, while I'm musing on the plastics... Hell, even 6061 or 1018 would provide greater life...
Blog under construction

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2022, 10:26:01 PM »
Anyone tried the carbon fiber infused filament?
My son has a 3d printer and I'm trying to get him to ramp up his setup. I've even offered to help fund the upgrades or even a higher end printer.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2022, 10:43:47 PM »
Was reading some of the rabbithole, and it seems that the carbon fiber might be more trouble than it is worth...

What could be interesting would be to see if you can print into/onto a matrix of reinforcing material? Take a plate of cast 6061, and then drill it like a badword for lightening, then do your print into/around the holes...
Blog under construction

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2022, 01:59:24 AM »
Another E3Pro owner here.  Upgrade the extruder arm assembly to an all metal one: https://www.amazon.com/Official-Creality-3D-Extruder-Aluminum/dp/B07J44QW8B/

The plastic one is notorious for cracking under the constant spring pressure.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2022, 09:09:50 AM »
Another E3Pro owner here.  Upgrade the extruder arm assembly to an all metal one: https://www.amazon.com/Official-Creality-3D-Extruder-Aluminum/dp/B07J44QW8B/

The plastic one is notorious for cracking under the constant spring pressure.

That was my first upgrade.  Well worth it.  Easy, too.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Any of y'all have a 3D printer?
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2022, 04:17:14 PM »
I was about to start a new thread like this one; decided to revive this one instead.  (if any of the admins don't like that, we can move it) 

Who here has a *resin* 3d printer?  I'm getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on an Elegoo Mars 3 printer, mostly for making models for wargaming.  I'm having trouble finding much info for beginners about how to get started.  How do you set up and level the machine.  What resins to avoid.  How to mitigate fumes.  Operating temperature.  Etc.

There are tons of YT videos but they all seem to assume a certain amount of prior knowledge. 

I have found a few free STL files and have been playing with them in Lychee slicer software, just using all default settings and seeing what it does.

The main thing slowing me down is clearing a workspace to set it up.  ;/
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 06:10:03 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2022, 07:01:00 PM »
My son has a resin printer. I'll ask him what he uses.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2023, 05:19:02 PM »
I just ordered over $400 of crap from Amazon; paid for most of it using CC rewards points.  It should get here Sunday.  I'm also making plans for building a ghetto fume hood (probably from a cardboard box) that I can vent outside thru a casement window.  But let's see how it works w/o a vent just using the charcoal filter.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09V17RKFV/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B086274P54/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Q2M17K/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VBM4Z7Q/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm hoping I can clean the parts in the ultrasonic by putting a 600ml beaker of 70% isopropyl alcohol in the tank which is full of degassed water, so I don't have get nasty resin in the unit itself.  Some people use plastic bags for that, but I think glass will transmit soundwave just fine.  (I wonder if the sound will bother the dogs?)
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2023, 05:35:35 PM »
My son just uses what he calls "standard resin". He has the Elegoo Saturn S

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Any of y'all have a 3D printer?
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2023, 05:07:14 PM »
The printer, Elegoo Mars 3 Pro, just got here.  The resin and other stuff are in a separate box and were supposed to get here today too but it's pretty obvious they won't be delivered until tomorrow.  The printer is much heavier than I expected (that's good.)  The shipping box is large enough if I tape the flaps open, I might can use it for a temporary cover with a power vent to exhaust the fumes out a nearby casement window until I can build something better.

I bought a quart of acetone yesterday; it's less toxic that isopropyl alcohol, is a better cleaner, but it is more flammable.  Perhaps I can use it diluted with water.  I also want to try E85 flex-fuel for a prewash (1/10 the cost of acetone or denatured alcohol or IPA) but the 15% to 20% gasoline might cause problems. 
"It's good, though..."