Author Topic: 'nother truck thread  (Read 4332 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: 'nother truck thread
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2022, 10:08:06 PM »
Are you talking about an improved IAC that doesn't repeat the problem, or does the new unit just take longer to gum up than an old unit that's been cleaned?

It's a twofer. Dogmush is spot on about the IAC. Not an improved unit, per se, just one that's clean and new. Between that and cleaning carbon buildhp in the throttle body throat, especially where the blade is, you can cure a whole host of ills.

Brad

It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2022, 10:27:29 PM »
Thanks for the advice, y'all.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2022, 02:20:49 AM »
Broken exhaust manifold bolt on LS engines are a known problem. There are a couple of tricks for getting them out with minimal swearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIdRuc4ZbNs

My 2500 HD with a 6.0 L engine is losing its exhaust manifold bolts and I’m using the Dorman flanges to keep the manifold leaks down.  Ticking was driving me crazy and I was about to tear I to it u til if ound the $28 fix on Amazon.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2022, 09:03:54 AM »
Thanks for the advice, y'all.

Last bit of advice... don't use second-rate aftermarket parts like Dorman, Cardone, and BWD. They're almost universally pieces of crap. Go for at least a mid-tier line like NAPA Gold or the premium aftermarket manufacturers. If possible, use factory parts.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2022, 09:12:30 AM »
Last bit of advice... don't use second-rate aftermarket parts like Dorman, Cardone, and BWD. They're almost universally pieces of crap. Go for at least a mid-tier line like NAPA Gold or the premium aftermarket manufacturers. If possible, use factory parts.

Brad

I promise to use only Duck brand duck tape and name brand bailing wire.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2022, 09:13:22 AM »
This is what I had to use as a temp fix to stop manifold leaks. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GHT9L4O?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_9RGQSSW8X3YHCGZX9PFE

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2022, 09:14:43 AM »
I promise to use only Duck brand duck tape and name brand bailing wire.

You have learned well, young padawan.

Brad
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2022, 01:03:14 PM »
Just got back from Illinois. The truck is from eastern Missouri, anyhow, so a bit of a homecoming for him.

Constant rain today, which is making the pedals extremely slippery. And I am still very rusty on the whole manual transmission thing.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2022, 01:26:50 PM »
Just keep it in 2nd gear and you won't have to shift!   =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2022, 01:46:09 PM »
Just got back from Illinois.

Locked the front door. Oh, boy!
Got to sit down, take a rest on the porch...  ♫   :laugh:

Anyway, I checked with the county compost site to see how much the stuff costs now; they used to give it away for free.  $20 a pickup load, which isn't bad.  I bought a used long-bed 3/4 ton last year.  We probably had one of these threads about it.  It should hold over 2 cubic yards and I only want about 1 or 1.5.  They will load it for $15 but only if your truck is at least 10000# GVWR.  I can't remember whether mine is 9500 or 9700.  :facepalm:  I called and asked if that was good enough if I signed a waiver.  Of course it's not.  I used to haul heavier stuff than that in a 7600 GVWR truck (and ruined a pretty beefy 9.50x16.5LT radial tire once when a load of mushroom mulch was soaking wet and it was loaded unevenly), that's when I switched to Load Range D to E and never had a problem again.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2022, 02:24:31 PM »
I went fishing around the exterior of the truck, looking for a good spot to put a magnetic key box, and what do you think I found?  =D Had a good, old-fashioned flat key inside, too.

Just hours after getting it home, we have hail.  =D  You can't make this stuff up.

Don't think it hurt anything, though.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 06:50:05 PM by Perd Hapley »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2022, 12:32:37 PM »
I finally used the truck I bought last year as a truck.  (after filling it up with $104 worth of gas. Ouch)  I bought a pallet of concrete blocks.  I thought it was about 2500# but it was just a few pounds shy of 3000.  The truck really squatted down on the springs when the forklift guy set it way in the back, half in the bed and half on the tailgate.  I thought the front tires might come up.  The back tires looked good.  When he pushed it forward just enough to get it all in the bed (still loaded towards the back) it was fine.  The truck even drove well like that; enough acceleration, the steering wasn't squirrelly, and the brakes were good.

Next time I buy a pallet of something heavy I'll take the tailgate off to get it out of the way.

Now it's raining, so too muddy to use a dolly or wheelbarrow to move them, I'll have to carry them one at a time to the backyard, and that's a pretty long way.  (I'm too much a wimp now to carry them 2 at a time like I coulda done 15 years ago)
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2022, 10:44:29 PM »
I finally used the truck I bought last year as a truck.  (after filling it up with $104 worth of gas. Ouch)

When I bought my pickup, I stopped on the Illinois side to get a couple of gallons (much wampum prices there). Later, I filled up at the station closest to the house, and the total was $100, even. (What happens when you buy a truck in the Biden era.)