Author Topic: WaPo's List of their 2024 Presidential Nominees  (Read 1798 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
WaPo's List of their 2024 Presidential Nominees
« on: April 16, 2022, 03:06:41 PM »
Here's the top ten who the Washington Post thinks should run in 2024:

Here’s the list in order from one to ten:

President Biden
Pete Buttigieg
Kamala Harris
Elizabeth Warren
Amy Klobuchar
Roy Cooper
Sherrod Brown
Cory Booker
Gavin Newsom
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/04/16/wapo-presents-the-top-10-dem-presidential-candidates-in-2024-guess-whos-not-in-the-top-2/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: WaPo's List of their 2024 Presidential Nominees
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 03:11:53 PM »
Is my calendar wrong? Is it April 1?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 03:57:50 PM »
I've long since unplugged from the R machine, but aren't ALL those names D names?

Since when does a party run competition against their own incumbent?  Or is Biden not intending to run again?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 06:52:22 PM »

President Biden House Plant
Pete Buttigieg - the guy nobody noticed was gone for 2 months
Kamala Harris - makes HRC look personable and W look articulate
Elizabeth Warren - Fauxcohontas, her moment passed in 2016
Amy Klobuchar - who?  Oh yeah, the frumpy senator from somewhere nobody cares about
Roy Cooper - who?
Sherrod Brown - another old white guy
Cory Booker - Spartacus!
Gavin Newsom - even CA hates him
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez - Oh please, oh please, oh please run this moron!

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/04/16/wapo-presents-the-top-10-dem-presidential-candidates-in-2024-guess-whos-not-in-the-top-2/
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 07:06:15 PM by sumpnz »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2022, 06:58:23 PM »
From what I remember seeing on TV during the debates, the only one even flirting with sanity is Klobuchar - the others are practically bark-at-the-moon lunatics.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2022, 12:55:39 AM »
The progressive pseudoreligion requires all adherents to be even more progressive than any others. There is no level of "okay." All that exists is the extreme.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 08:39:01 AM »
Ocommunist-Cortez would, I think, just barely slip in under the age requirement for a president.

Of course, if she missed it, that would just be the most cisnormal white male racist thing ever...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2022, 09:06:41 AM »
In this issue of Pravda you will find the list of CCCP candidates you will be allowed to vote for
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2022, 09:14:56 AM »

President Biden
Pete Buttigieg
Kamala Harris
Elizabeth Warren
Amy Klobuchar
Roy Cooper
Sherrod Brown
Cory Booker
Gavin Newsom
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Same old clown train, with some added "who dat?" names.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2022, 09:39:12 AM »
Same old clown train, with some added "who dat?" names.

And a certain person conspicuously missing.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2022, 09:54:20 AM »
And a certain person conspicuously missing.  :laugh:

I noticed that.  I wonder if she's pissed about being left off the list?  Hopefully all the WaPo's editors life insurance is paid up.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2022, 09:56:03 AM »
I noticed that.  I wonder if she's pissed about being left off the list?  Hopefully all the WaPo's editors life insurance is paid up.
Is Arkancide still a thing?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2022, 10:01:26 AM »

President Biden
Pete Buttigieg
Kamala Harris
Elizabeth Warren
Amy Klobuchar
Roy Cooper
Sherrod Brown
Cory Booker
Gavin Newsom
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Did not kill themselves
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2022, 11:19:09 AM »
Ocommunist-Cortez would, I think, just barely slip in under the age requirement for a president.

Of course, if she missed it, that would just be the most cisnormal white male racist thing ever...

She’ll turn 35 about 3 weeks before the election in 2024.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2022, 11:34:55 AM »
I just looked, and the youngest President in history was Teddy Roosevelt at 42 years and 10 months. I was actually surprised as I thought it might have been one of the earlier presidents.

https://www.thoughtco.com/youngest-presidents-in-american-history-3368124

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2022, 11:48:02 AM »
HRCs ship has sailed. I am still pretty sure that Chelsea Clinton will be brought forth to stand.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2022, 11:56:46 AM »
HRCs ship has sailed. I am still pretty sure that Chelsea Clinton will be brought forth to stand.

Not this time, she needs another public office first. Watch for a Senate race, probably a few years from now after H is out of the picture.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2022, 01:01:42 PM »

She’s old enough (already 42), but I agree with bedlamite.  She would have to win something elective first.  Or have a record as a business executive or something of significance in a political or leadership avenue.

Trump was a businessman and celebrity before getting elected.  Obama was a senator (and the least qualified potus in living memory).  W was TX governor, Clinton was AR governor, HW was VP and head of the CIA, Regan was CA governor and a celebrity, Ford was unelected but had been VP and a powerful R in lower offices.  Nixon was a previous VP, LBJ was a VP and powerful in TX politics before that.  JKF was a Senator (for a lot longer than Obama) and in the HOR before that.  Ike had been the commanding general in WWII.  Truman was a VP, a senator and a judge.  FDR was governor of NY and a military bureaucrat.

Chelsea, so far, hasn’t done anything of note publicly, whether in business, entertainment or politics.  And as powerful as the Clintons were I don’t think she’d be able to muster the backing anymore to use her name as launch pad to the Oval Office.  At least not directly.

I could maybe see making a play for a NY senate seat, or maybe Lt Governor or something high level in the NY state cabinet.  From there she could aim for a high level federal cabinet position or VP slot.  If she starts doing those things I could see the possibility of a run in 2032 or 2036.  But nothing she’s done so far makes me think she has the slightest interest in doing anything like that.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2022, 08:35:41 AM »
She’ll turn 35 about 3 weeks before the election in 2024.

Yep, that's what I was coming up with, as well.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2022, 08:42:51 AM »
Trump was a businessman and celebrity before getting elected.  Obama was a senator (and the least qualified potus in living memory).  W was TX governor, Clinton was AR governor, HW was VP and head of the CIA, Regan was CA governor and a celebrity, Ford was unelected but had been VP and a powerful R in lower offices.  Nixon was a previous VP, LBJ was a VP and powerful in TX politics before that.  JKF was a Senator (for a lot longer than Obama) and in the HOR before that.  Ike had been the commanding general in WWII.  Truman was a VP, a senator and a judge.  FDR was governor of NY and a military bureaucrat.

Nixon had also been elected as a representative and then as a senator from California.

LBJ had also been elected as a representative and then as a senator, but from Texas.

Interesting tidbit about Gerald Ford... he served over 20 years as a rep from Michigan and never proposed a single bill. His ultimate goal, apparently, was to become Speaker of the House.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2022, 10:25:17 AM »
. . . Interesting tidbit about Gerald Ford... he served over 20 years as a rep from Michigan and never proposed a single bill. . . .
My first thought was "We need 434 more House members like that!"   >:D

Yeah, yeah, I know they have to vote on things like the budget. But aside from annual housekeeping items (which they still frequently screw up) most other bills do things TO us rather than FOR us. And with over 240 years of legislation already on the books, I think we're pretty well "over-lawed" already.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2022, 10:51:21 AM »
Oh excellent nobody competent and likable.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2022, 12:14:23 PM »
My first thought was "We need 434 more House members like that!"   >:D

Yeah, yeah, I know they have to vote on things like the budget. But aside from annual housekeeping items (which they still frequently screw up) most other bills do things TO us rather than FOR us. And with over 240 years of legislation already on the books, I think we're pretty well "over-lawed" already.
I am sure he voted for plenty of laws. 

One idea might be to expand the number of House members.  Maybe we should not have fixed it at that number.  If there were a couple thousand of them, maybe they wouldn't be so self important.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2022, 12:22:51 PM »
I am sure he voted for plenty of laws. 

One idea might be to expand the number of House members.  Maybe we should not have fixed it at that number.  If there were a couple thousand of them, maybe they wouldn't be so self important.

No, then we’d just have a couple thousand set-important blowhards telling us how to live instead of a few hundred self-important blowhards.  It might dilute them a little but there’d still be a powerful core of a few dozen running everything just like now.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2022, 09:54:20 AM »
No, then we’d just have a couple thousand set-important blowhards telling us how to live instead of a few hundred self-important blowhards.  It might dilute them a little but there’d still be a powerful core of a few dozen running everything just like now.
Change House membership to a three-year term and then each year randomly draft 1/3 of the members from a list of registered voters in their district between the ages of 25 and 60 who pass a criminal & drug background check. (This was partially inspired by William F. Buckley who said he'd prefer to be governed by people chosen from the Manhattan phone book rather than by the faculty at Harvard.)