Author Topic: Nut Roll  (Read 1148 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Nut Roll
« on: April 17, 2022, 04:24:37 PM »
I am really jazzed that I found this recipe. It was in the Epoch Times Sunday paper. My parents made this quite a bit, and it is one of the recipes that I didn't get from them before they passed. It's more Austrian/Hungarian than German, but I guess because my mom grew up in a German village in Hungary, that's the side of the family it came from. I used to love eating this as a kid. I don't know how close the recipe is to what my folks made, but I'm gonna give it a try.

Baba’s Nut Rolls or Mitch’s Butter Nut Rolls
Makes about 80

For the Dough

1 package active dry yeast
2/3 cup to 1 cup lukewarm milk, plus 2 teaspoons for the yeast
2 sticks butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar, plus 1/2 teaspoon for the yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 egg yolks
4 cups flour
For the Nut Filling

2 pounds ground walnuts
4 egg whites
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Zest of 1 lemon
About 1/2 cup milk, or more as needed
For Assembly

1 to 2 sticks butter, melted (this is Mitch’s addition to the recipe)
Dissolve the yeast in a small bowl with 2 teaspoons warm milk and 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Set aside for 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine the softened butter, 1/4 cup sugar, and salt. Mix until crumbly, then add egg yolks and blend well. Add flour, mixing slightly. Alternately add the warm milk (4 additions total) and the yeast mixture (3 additions total), mixing thoroughly after each addition. Knead for approximately 1 minute into a smooth ball of dough. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour.

Lightly grease a large bowl. Place the dough in the bowl, sprinkle with a little flour, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight or at least for 8 hours.

The next day, mix together all of the ingredients for the nut filling except the milk. Add in splashes of milk as needed until the filling is spreadable, but not goopy, soupy, or too soft; it needs to have some body to it.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Divide the dough into 4 parts.

Place 1 part of the dough on a plastic pie mat/sheet and roll out into a 9-by-15-inch rectangle. Spread 1/4 of the nut filling all over the rectangle of dough. This is where the melted butter comes in handy: Use a spatula dipped in melted butter to help spread the nut mixture more easily and avoid tearing the dough. Roll up the dough in a jelly-roll fashion. Place on the prepared baking sheet, seam-side down, and tuck the ends underneath. Repeat this process for the remaining dough and filling.

Roll out the dough. (Courtesy of Mary Lou Young)
Epoch Times Photo
Spread the nut filling with a spatula dipped in butter. (Courtesy of Mary Lou Young)
Epoch Times Photo
Roll it up jelly roll-style. (Courtesy of Mary Lou Young)
Cover the rolls with cloth and let rise for 2 hours. (This dough doesn’t double in size like most yeast dough; it will be minimal.)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Using a fork, prick two rows of holes down the length of each nut roll, on either side of the center, about 2 inches apart. Brush with melted butter.

Epoch Times Photo
Prick the dough and brush with butter. (Courtesy of Mary Lou Young)
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. You may also brush with more melted butter upon removing from the oven.

Epoch Times Photo
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. (Courtesy of Mary Lou Young)
Let cool completely, then slice into 1/2- to 3/4-inch slices. The nut rolls can be frozen or stored in a cool place.

Na zdravie! To your health!

https://www.theepochtimes.com/the-family-table-the-ultimate-butter-nut-rolls-perfected-from-baba-to-father-to-friend_4373442.html

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Nut Roll
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2022, 08:11:34 AM »
Phew, it's a confection.

I was afraid I was going to open this and see how your... parts... got twisted around when you were sitting down and you did a... nut roll...

:)

Looks really good but not for me. I can't eat walnuts. I'd have to go with pecans or almonds.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Nut Roll
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2022, 09:49:29 PM »
I am going to have to make these, they seem similar to a cookie I remember at Christmas time growing up.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536