Author Topic: I think I'll make this this weekend...  (Read 6150 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I think I'll make this this weekend...
« on: April 28, 2022, 09:05:13 AM »
Quick and simple, and I LOVE chickpeas...

Tomato, Chickpeas, and Orzo

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/recipe-one-pot-tomato-chickpeas-and-orzo?utm_source=pocket-newtab
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: I think I'll make this this weekend...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 05:44:35 PM »
OK, finally got around to making this for dinner.

Not bad at all.

I did alter the recipe a bit. I added 8 ounces of sauteed mushrooms, a green and red pepper, and about 20 ounces of browned ground turkey (that I had to use before it went south on me).

All in all, pretty darned good.

Oh, I also added some basil and oregano to give the tomato base some extra seasoning. Not much, though. Just enough to give a hint of flavor.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 12:20:41 PM »
Making this one again for dinner and for lunches this coming week.

Again, if you've not tried it, it's really good.

I STILL can't find orzo in my local stores so I'm using small shells. They work just fine.

I'm also adding browned ground turkey, sauteed mushrooms, and a bag of chopped spinach.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 05:14:26 PM »
You're too much like me in the kitchen.  Yes, I see your recipe, but that's suggestions, or a starting point.  Any resemblance between the original recipe and my final product may be limited to the name.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 11:25:16 AM »
I've had the left overs for lunch all this week. It just keeps getting better and better. Really enjoy this recipe. Very simple, very easy to make, and very adaptable.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2023, 11:21:12 PM »
Do you think Parmesan cheese in a can would work for this, or does it need to be freshly-grated?

I would have to add some oregano and red pepper flakes.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2023, 09:36:08 AM »
Canned cheese would work just fine, I would think. In this case the cheese is for flavoring, it's not a structural element as it is in mac and cheese.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2023, 10:19:45 AM »
Hmmm, now do I want to make a whole recipe or cut it in half?  I do have some 28 ounce cans of crushed tomatoes that I need to get out of the pantry...
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2023, 10:46:43 AM »
It keeps well for about a week, but I don't know how well it would freeze.

I've been using small shells in mine since I still can't regularly find Orzo at my grocatorium.

I may make it again next week, and this time I'll probably make it Florentine style -- chicken and baby spinach and possibly sauteed mushrooms.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2023, 04:35:28 PM »
Going to make this again in a few minutes for dinner this evening and also lunches the coming week.

This time I'm going to use whole grain Barilla penne with ground turkey, mushrooms, and spinach.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2023, 04:59:13 PM »
I bought some orzo pasta (Walmart had it but it was hard to find in a weird place in the store) and some canned chickpeas to make this.  But first I need to make a big pot of Great Northern beans to make use of a ham bone; the orzo can wait another week.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2023, 05:19:42 PM »
It's such a simple darned recipe but it really delivers on taste.

I do add extra spices, some garlic, oregano, basil, and thyme. Just adds something more.

As I noted, I also add ground turkey and mushrooms, and this batch I'm going to add spinach, although the pot is almost full. I'll have to wait to add it at the very end when some of the liquid absorbs.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2023, 11:00:38 AM »
I made this last night.  I like how fast it comes together.  Was going to add some sausage to it, but decided to try it once with just the chickpeas.  I did add some more spices (thyme but not much, oregano, red pepper flakes) and half a bag of frozen chopped spinach.  It's good!  But I'll be eating it for a week with plenty to share a little with the dogs. 

I haven't checked it yet this morning to see if it's all seized up into glue like that much rice would do.  If it is I should be able to loosen it up with a little bouillon.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2023, 11:39:13 AM »
Glad that you like it. It is really easy and really good. It's become one of my "make on Sunday, take to work all week" meals.

In fact, I think I'll do it again this weekend.

I don't find that it seizes up much. It does get stiff, but that's mainly from the cheese. The more cheese you use, the stiffer it will be when it's cold, but when you microwave it, all of the pasta separates again.

The reason rice would seize up like mad is that it would be essentially a risotto, and with the amount of starch rice liberates (especially the medium and short grain rices), it's going to be very sticky and clumpy.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2023, 11:56:53 AM »
OK, I am going to make this tonight.  I have some leftover Costco rotisserie chicken that I pulled off the carcass, and it might make a good addition.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2023, 12:43:57 PM »
OK, I am going to make this tonight.  I have some leftover Costco rotisserie chicken that I pulled off the carcass, and it might make a good addition.

I think the basil is important.  I didn't list it in the spices I added because the recipe calls for fresh basil and I substituted dried.

I will probably add this when I eat leftovers.  (not this brand, and not purchased from amazon their price is ridiculous)  It has garlic, hot peppers, salt, and umami.  I think the umami is from dried shrimp but it doesn't taste or smell fishy

"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2023, 07:21:57 AM »

So how did it turn out for you?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2023, 09:35:23 AM »
So how did it turn out for you?

This was just excellent.  I used tomato paste since we had that on hand, but next time I am going to try crushed tomatoes.  Adding spinach as noted above would also be good.  We have family members that are vegan, and this would be a great recipe without adding the chicken.  The chicken was a great addition by the way.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2023, 09:42:19 AM »
This was just excellent.  I used tomato paste since we had that on hand, but next time I am going to try crushed tomatoes.  Adding spinach as noted above would also be good.  We have family members that are vegan, and this would be a great recipe without adding the chicken.  The chicken was a great addition by the way.

If they are vegan you'd have to use vegetable broth instead of chicken (not a problem) and figure out something to sub for the parmesan cheese.  The recipe as-is is almost vegetarian but not vegan.

I may go the other way with it and use sausage instead of chickpeas (still add the spinach) to take to a church potluck.
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2023, 10:06:19 AM »
^^^I did not even think about the vegetable broth for vegans. Good call.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2023, 10:07:06 AM »
Really glad that you liked it!

As for the cheese, there are actually recipes on the intardnetz for *shudder* vegan parm cheese. My guess is it uses a lot of pocket lint and soiled kitty litter, but that's neither here nor there.

I'm probably going to make this again this weekend, and this time I'm going to add very thinly sliced pork sausage and I may go with broccoli florets this time around. 

As for the chickpeas, no way am I going to omit them. They add a texture and flavor that I absolutely love.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2023, 06:01:59 PM »
I'm going to make this for supper tonight with some lamb chops.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2023, 06:45:13 PM »
I made it again last weekend and have been having it for lunches this week.

ground turkey, mushrooms, and spinach again.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2023, 10:14:09 PM »
I was awesome, I'm going to add za'atar next time.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2023, 07:11:43 AM »
It's shocking how good this stuff is.

It's one of those recipes that looks meh when you read it, but it delivers so much more.