Author Topic: tenterhooks/NYSRPA scotus case  (Read 8199 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: tenterhooks/NYSRPA scotus case
« Reply #175 on: July 01, 2022, 11:02:26 AM »
At least she is admitting she has no good reason to be anti-gun.  Still crazy.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #176 on: July 01, 2022, 06:38:02 PM »
You don't need data and facts when you have the power of feelings

Hochul Rejects Needing Data to Support Passing Strict Gun Control Measures
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2022/07/01/hochul--i-dont-need-numbers-n2609635

There you go. The Supremes said interest balancing was out, so ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #177 on: July 02, 2022, 09:14:16 AM »
California's new back door strategy (SB918) is to allow shall issue, but basically ban carry most everywhere, including public sidewalks. Reno May also mentions the section about psych evals and that they can only be done by a shrink approved by the state for CCW evaluation. There are apparently very, very few of these, like one per county, which could put someone on a year or longer waiting list just to finish their application, let alone the wait time once the application is submitted.

8:00 in the video is where he lists the places SB918 makes CC illegal.

https://youtu.be/DbVuYvSorKo
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #178 on: July 02, 2022, 09:17:19 AM »
California's new back door strategy (SB918) is to allow shall issue, but basically ban carry most everywhere, including public sidewalks. Reno May also mentions the section about psych evals and that they can only be done by a shrink approved by the state for CCW evaluation. There are apparently very, very few of these, like one per county, which could put someone on a year or longer waiting list just to finish their application, let alone the wait time once the application is submitted.

I say we propose the same rule on voting.
Or even on getting an abortion
Oh how they would howl
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #179 on: July 02, 2022, 10:08:34 AM »
As I mentioned earlier-
They made their ruling, now let's see them enforce it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #180 on: July 02, 2022, 10:34:00 AM »

NAGR Files Class Action Lawsuit Following California AG’s Disclosure of Gun Owners’ Personal Information
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/nagr-files-class-action-lawsuit-following-california-ags-disclosure-of-gun-owners-personal-information/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #181 on: July 02, 2022, 03:36:59 PM »

I heard someone comment that the conditions from the ruling may apply to all these restrictions also.  There will be lawsuits.  That is the only guarantee.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #182 on: July 02, 2022, 03:49:10 PM »
I heard someone comment that the conditions from the ruling may apply to all these restrictions also.  There will be lawsuits.  That is the only guarantee.

Yep, let's put the same restrictions on freedom of speech and voting and see what happens.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #183 on: July 02, 2022, 03:54:31 PM »

Yup, lawsuits for sure. IANAL, but I thought a large part of the SC ruling was eliminating these very unconstitutional roadblocks that CA is now setting up. I can't see any way this SB918 holds up in any court if it passes, which with the dem supermajority, it likely will.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #184 on: July 02, 2022, 04:41:05 PM »
Yep, let's put the same restrictions on freedom of speech and voting and see what happens.

No matter what people are saying now (and I agree that is ruling is a still a great victory) the Second is still a second-class right... until all permits and licenses are struck down, along with all gun bans.

I wish the court had said that requiring a license or permit for a right is unconstitutional.... like they held in Murdock v. Pennsylvania:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murdock_v._Pennsylvania

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #185 on: July 02, 2022, 04:50:16 PM »
Apparently NY wants to require a list of your social media accounts to get a permit

UNBELIEVABLE! New Law Demands Social Media Accounts & Makes It Illegal To Carry Basically Anywhere!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoLumxiTphg

List of places where you can't carry in the bill

If the bill is approved, guns would be banned from modes of public transportation, such as subways and buses, and from schools, shelters, government buildings, poll sites, places of worship, health facilities, establishments that serve alcohol, libraries, day cares, zoos, museums, theaters and stadiums, public playgrounds and parks.

Other sensitive locations where firearms would be prohibited include Times Square, a popular tourist destination in Manhattan.

There will also be a “presumption” statewide that firearms are not welcome inside private businesses unless the property owner explicitly states otherwise with a clearly visible sign.
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2022/07/01/two-very-big-problems-with-new-yorks-new-concealed-carry-restrictions-n59981
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 05:17:40 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #186 on: July 02, 2022, 05:33:35 PM »
 support your local and national groups fighting against these silly restrictions,  most will not pass the history/tradition/text test anyway.

for instance, your regular citizen in 1790 - did they require his neighbors report his church attendance or lack of it in order buy or carry a gun?
( social media )
what were sensitive areas in 1790?

I'm picking 1790 because it was soon after the cotus was ratified,  all these silly roadblocks will not pass the test
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #187 on: July 02, 2022, 08:10:43 PM »
support your local and national groups fighting against these silly restrictions,  most will not pass the history/tradition/text test anyway.

Virtually no gun control would pass that test.  There was basically no gun restrictions in early USA that applied to citizens.  It's not going to happen, unfortunately.  I would love to see the NFA die, but is is wishful thinking.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #188 on: July 02, 2022, 11:17:30 PM »
Virtually no gun control would pass that test.  There was basically no gun restrictions in early USA that applied to citizens.  It's not going to happen, unfortunately.  I would love to see the NFA die, but is is wishful thinking.
I heard someone say the "common use" test still applies.  They didn't think NFA would get past that, but perhaps parts of it or other things.  I assume the gun rights groups will start with the various state restrictions. 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #189 on: July 03, 2022, 12:48:18 AM »

for instance, your regular citizen in 1790 - did they require his neighbors report his church attendance or lack of it in order buy or carry a gun?
( social media )
what were sensitive areas in 1790?

I'm picking 1790 because it was soon after the cotus was ratified,  all these silly roadblocks will not pass the test

The 2A wasn't ratified until 1791, but you're close.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Pb

• friend
« Reply #190 on: July 03, 2022, 08:32:37 AM »
I heard someone say the "common use" test still applies. 

Yeah.  The "common use" test is utter bullcrap.

1) It is not in the amendment.  It is an invention to justify banning MGs.
2) All case law and all commentary on what weapons we have a right to own, from early America, up through Miller, specifically say we have a right to own military weapons.  Many cases and commentators said there was no right own civilian weapons (mainly Bowie knives)… everybody said military weapons were protected, even cannons.
3) It is a circular argument.  Machine guns are not in common use because they are banned.  It is okay to ban them because they are not in common use.
4) Machine guns are in "common use" with militaries and official militias around the world anyway.  Therefore we have a right to own them.
5) The Second Amendment was meant to be a counterweight to abuse of the people by the the standing army, and "select militias" (ie, the National Guard).  Early commentary said Americans have a right own military weapons to prevent abuses by the standing armies.
6) The "common use" test allows the government to ban any new type of gun.  The federal government could have banned metallic cartridges when they were first invented, and we be stuck right now with only muzzleloaders.  That would pass the "common use" test.

"As civil rulers, not having their duty to the people before them, may attempt to tyrannize, and as the military forces which must be occasionally raised to defend our country, might pervert their power to the injury of their fellow citizens, the people are confirmed by the article in their right to keep and bear their private arms." (Tench Coxe in ‘Remarks on the First Part of the Amendments to the Federal Constitution' under the Pseudonym ‘A Pennsylvanian' in the Philadelphia Federal Gazette, June 18, 1789 at 2 col. 1)

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American.... [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.)

If you could go back in time, and tell James Madison and the rest that the Federal government in 2022 would throw a citizen in prison for owning a military rifle they would be horrified.

I'm just venting here.  I know it is pointless.