Author Topic: tenterhooks/NYSRPA scotus case  (Read 8050 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: tenterhooks/NYSRPA scotus case
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2022, 09:01:44 PM »
Virginia is an Open carry state.  Anyone have the addresses of Justices Kagan, Breyer, and Sotomayor?  Perhaps some peaceful protests in front of their houses are in order just so they know where the people stand on the issue.  I hear it's all the rage, and Law Enforcement won't bother you.

ooh, I like that idea
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2022, 07:56:29 AM »
Currently the dates for releasing opinions are:

May 02, 16, 23, 31
June 06, 13, 21, 27
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2022, 08:55:56 AM »
Virginia is an Open carry state.  Anyone have the addresses of Justices Kagan, Breyer, and Sotomayor?  Perhaps some peaceful protests in front of their houses are in order just so they know where the people stand on the issue.  I hear it's all the rage, and Law Enforcement won't bother you.

I am sure you can eventually get out of it without charges.  I really doubt they will leave you alone.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2022, 10:00:26 AM »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2022, 10:40:41 AM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2022, 11:19:14 AM »
The 2A doesn't say anything about permits or licenses. A right for which each person needs a permission slip is not a right, it's a privilege. What's needed is for the SCOTUS to eviscerate "may issue" permit states such as Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, California, and Hawaii. That would be a good start.

Then there needs to be a good test case for eliminating permits/licenses entirely.

You are right, of course, but the Court won't do that.  The courts treat the 2nd as a pathetic fake right.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2022, 08:33:27 PM »
darn, I was hoping that for once scotus wouldn't wait untill the last minute to release good news.
hopefully the delay is good news

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2022, 10:57:47 PM »
They added a new day for Opinions, on Wednesday the 8th

[ar15]

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2022, 11:13:06 PM »
      I think tomorrow, first day of summer, is the day.
 I have a feeling it's gonna be huge.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2022, 12:13:00 AM »
They added a new day for Opinions, on Wednesday the 8th

[ar15]

Yep, they will drop the NYS and Roe vs Wade the same day, the 8th, and then all head to Bali for a vacation. :)

bob

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2022, 11:00:42 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

grumble grumble grumble .... you seem to be correct ...grumble grumble grumble ..

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2022, 11:15:09 PM »
Yep, they will drop the NYS and Roe vs Wade the same day, the 8th, and then all head to Bali for a vacation. :)

bob

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2022, 05:30:39 PM »
Unfortunately, that's a good point.  We probably shouldn't give them any ideas.

Oh, I'm sure it's been whispered around the Lefty water coolers.  Meanwhile, at the Conservative water coolers, they're singing "On the good ship Lollipop."

Given the pollyanna predictions for a Republican Conservative sweep this November, I wonder if impeachment of Supreme Court Justices might be suggested in later legislative sessions.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2022, 05:51:32 PM »

bob
If that is the last day before a summer break, I think that is advisable.  Get out of DC.  Ask security or someone to watch their houses. 

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2022, 09:04:46 PM »
I heard on talk radio today that they're adding friday to the schedule.
thursday/Friday - just looked at the scotus website, thurs/fri are the last two days to release opinions, i saw on calguns they only very rarely release in july

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2022, 10:50:57 AM »
The Supreme Court on Thursday handed down its opinion in a landmark Second Amendment rights case, the biggest win for gun rights since the court's Heller ruling holding that "New York’s proper-cause requirement violates the Fourteenth Amendment by preventing law-abiding citizens with ordinary self-defense needs from exercising their Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms in public for self-defense."

6-3
The usual suspects dissented

The ruling came down 6-3, with Justice Clarence Thomas writing the majority opinion joined by Justices Roberts, Alito, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Barrett — plus concurring opinions by Justice Alito and Justice Kavanaugh. Justices Breyer wrote the dissent joined by Sotomayor, and Kagan.

Supreme Court Hands Down Biggest Second Amendment Victory Since Heller
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/spencerbrown/2022/06/23/scotus-gun-case-n2609212
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2022, 10:53:54 AM »
Getting the bunker ready for RvW which should dial the calls to pack the court to 11
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2022, 11:34:03 AM »
At least it looks like the more conservative justices are not avoiding controversial cases.  Great to hear about this.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2022, 11:36:41 AM »
the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2022, 11:44:21 AM »
6-3
The usual suspects dissented

I was a little surprised (pleasantly) to see Roberts on the right side of the ruling.

So how long before the may-issue laws in CA, HI, NJ etc. are struck down?
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2022, 11:52:08 AM »
I was a little surprised (pleasantly) to see Roberts on the right side of the ruling.

I have to believe there are more than a few pro-2A state groups with petitions already drafted. They were just for this decision to file.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2022, 12:04:55 PM »

My understanding is this rules all may-issue laws unconstitutional just like when the RvW decision ruled state laws banning abortion unconstitutional.
But...

Keep in mind, however, that this doesn’t mean that anti-gun jurisdictions like New York, California, Hawaii and others will now be handing out concealed carry permits like candy. Expect them to put up barriers such as high fees and extensive training requirements (which, if they’re too burdensome, will then be challenged in the courts). Today’s ruling simply means that that these governments can no longer make arbitrary decisions regarding whose civil rights can be exercised and whose can’t.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/breaking-supreme-court-_-new-yorks-may-issue-concealed-carry-law/
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2022, 12:17:47 PM »
OMG! The horror of expecting the 2nd to be a first class right just like the 1st.
And this coming from the side that routinely takes a dump on the 1st

CNN Legal Analyst Jeffrey Toobin is not happy with SCOTUS' Second Amendment ruling.
https://twitter.com/townhallcom/status/1539982844516356097
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 12:31:52 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2022, 12:31:13 PM »
OMG! The horror of expecting the 2nd to be first class right just like the 1st.
And this coming from the side that routinely takes a dump on the 1st

CNN Legal Analyst Jeffrey Toobin is not happy with SCOTUS' Second Amendment ruling.
https://twitter.com/townhallcom/status/1539982844516356097

Toobin and his ilk: Can't have the peasants exercising their rights.  They might start thinking that they're equal to us.

(ETA: I  :rofl: at some of the comments)

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2022, 12:33:27 PM »
And someone had to drag Drag Queens into this

ABC's Terry Moran implies there will be a fear that the SCOTUS decision on guns means people will show up with guns at Drag Queen Story Hours to intimidate them from going on.
    — Curtis Houck (@CurtisHouck) June 23, 2022

More examples of meltdowns at
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2022/06/23/liberal-media-is-going-insane-over-supreme-court-gun-ruling-n2609214
Warning: some are brain cell killers
- Calvin and Hobbes