Author Topic: tenterhooks/NYSRPA scotus case  (Read 8360 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: tenterhooks/NYSRPA scotus case
« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2022, 12:07:07 PM »
Neato.  I’ll have to look that up.  Thanks!

I see that Skagit is now using Permiteum:  https://skagitwa.permitium.com/ccw/start

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2022, 12:41:50 PM »
A 72 hour psych hold if they act in any way upset disappointed during any part of the denial or red flag too.

FTFY.  Won't have to be upset or angry.  Just "darn it" disappointed.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #127 on: June 25, 2022, 12:50:45 PM »
Until about 15 years or so ago, St. Louis City required two letters from "responsible" individuals attesting to the character of someone who wished to legally purchase a handgun.

And if the prospective purchaser was black, the letters obviously were not from "responsible" individuals.

We've fixed SO much of that.
Blog under construction

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #128 on: June 25, 2022, 02:13:06 PM »
So will Hochel's security be switching to muskets?

Gawd, new yorkers like her are so dense - infuriating imbeciles, A: quite some time ago, a guy got arrested for having a replica functional black powder Kentucky Rifle in his apt as a wall hanger, they eventually let him go due to not having ammo/powder.
 In the media they kept on showing pictures of a Barrett .50 because it was a fifty caliber rifle.
B: They would certainly arrest anyone they caught waking around with "muskets". Not that they know the difference between a blunderbuss, a musket or a Kentucky Rifle
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #129 on: June 25, 2022, 02:21:59 PM »
 hopefully, they will now be forced to accept national reciprocity for ccw, you can drive anywhere on a driver's license , it needs to be the same for gun owners-living on the border of California is a drag
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #130 on: June 25, 2022, 10:23:34 PM »
A: quite some time ago, a guy got arrested for having a replica functional black powder Kentucky Rifle in his apt as a wall hanger, they eventually let him go due to not having ammo/powder.

Wasn't there someone, possibly a professor from a southern college, driving north through NJ and got pulled over and went through H.3LL because he had BP pistol with him?  It may have been in his glove box or in a box in the trunk (I don't remember) but they went through all kinds of legal shenanigans several years ago.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #131 on: June 25, 2022, 11:27:30 PM »
Wasn't there someone, possibly a professor from a southern college, driving north through NJ and got pulled over and went through H.3LL because he had BP pistol with him?  It may have been in his glove box or in a box in the trunk (I don't remember) but they went through all kinds of legal shenanigans several years ago.

I do not recall, but I wouldn't be surprised - NJ is beautiful in some sections but a legal S hole everywhere in the state.

it will take a yr or two for nj/ny/ca to really start complying and it will be a fight for every win

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #132 on: June 26, 2022, 12:22:59 AM »
hopefully, they will now be forced to accept national reciprocity for ccw, you can drive anywhere on a driver's license , it needs to be the same for gun owners-living on the border of California is a drag

No, they won't. The decision specifically said this decision does not affect existing permitting systems that [paraphrased] aren't arbitrary or capricious. If states are still allowed to have their own permitting systems, they aren't required to recognize any other states' permits.

I actually think this should be covered by the "full faith and credit" clause, but lawyer types tell me that doesn't apply. They have a reason, but it doesn't make sense to me. I guess that's why I'm not a lawyer.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 03:10:16 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #133 on: June 26, 2022, 12:56:45 PM »
I was just reading that the CA AG is fast tracking legislation to vastly expand "gun free zones" and other areas where guns would be prohibited. I suppose that is one other sly workaround they can use. You get your permit, but pretty much everywhere you go is off limits for concealed carry.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #134 on: June 26, 2022, 01:13:52 PM »
I was just reading that the CA AG is fast tracking legislation to vastly expand "gun free zones" and other areas where guns would be prohibited. I suppose that is one other sly workaround they can use. You get your permit, but pretty much everywhere you go is off limits for concealed carry.

Illinois passed a law banning carrying firearms within 1,000ft of any and all schools. If you looked at a map of many cites and centered a 2,000ft dia circle on every school 90% of those cities would be covered.
Also IIRC Illinois also passed a law that banned carrying firearms within 1,000 of a public park.

Both got struck down by the IL SC
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2022, 01:16:18 PM »
I really wondering what the courts are going to do now.  Are they going be serious and start striking down restrictive carry laws now, or not? 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2022, 01:25:55 PM »

With the IANAL caveat, wouldn't those types of rulings only apply to public areas? In a state like CA, with a large anti population, the AG could work with private entities to "suggest" they put "no guns" signs at their front doors, and even make violation a firearms felony versus the misdemeanor trespassing charge it is in most private places that do that.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2022, 02:42:05 PM »
When I got CT pistol permit way back in 1987 it was an annoying and intrusive process but it seemed mostly a matter of checking the boxes and jumping through the right hoops. No anticipation that a denial was very probable.
Unconstitutional but it was the process.
Sign off by a certified NRA instructor,  background check, interview with county sheriff or police chief, don't remember which and I got my permit.

Has it changed much since then?

It doesn't sound like it has.  I am hoping for a streamlining of the entire process, which includes the (always has been) stupid requirement of getting a town permit first.  Which, by the way, no longer even allows you to carry in that town.  So, WHY DOES IT EXIST?

The process of getting a state permit is the same once you get your town permit as it is for non-residents, which again begs the question of why require a town permit first if the state is just going to make you go through the same process again?

Lastly, once you add up all the fees leading to the final permit, I think you can argue that it's prohibitive enough to force a change, if some entity has the time, money, and lawyers to do so.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2022, 03:11:13 PM »
Illinois passed a law banning carrying firearms within 1,000ft of any and all schools. If you looked at a map of many cites and centered a 2,000ft dia circle on every school 90% of those cities would be covered.
Also IIRC Illinois also passed a law that banned carrying firearms within 1,000 of a public park.

That's already prohibited under federal law.

"Gun Free School Zones Act."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2022, 03:12:55 PM »
It doesn't sound like it has.  I am hoping for a streamlining of the entire process, which includes the (always has been) stupid requirement of getting a town permit first.  Which, by the way, no longer even allows you to carry in that town.  So, WHY DOES IT EXIST?

Yes it does. In fact, it's no longer a "town" permit -- it's now a "temporary state permit."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2022, 03:33:49 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CfO6HBILR_T/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I saw this yesterday.  Not certain if there is a non-Instagram source. 

Essentially says California AG issues legal alert that authorities should no longer require "proof of good cause" for the issuance of carry license. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #141 on: June 26, 2022, 04:06:41 PM »
Gun people are really missing the point. Like Roe people or gay married people why do we get excited when the rights we consider essential to life are confirmed by one or two people voting in a court? I mean glad we won but I am at the point where I am going to do me not matter what a court says.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #142 on: June 26, 2022, 04:09:00 PM »
Gun people are really missing the point. Like Roe people or gay married people why do we get excited when the rights we consider essential to life are confirmed by one or two people voting in a court? I mean glad we won but I am at the point where I am going to do me not matter what a court says.

Not getting jailed for exercising fundamental rights is kind of a big deal.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2022, 04:12:51 PM »

I complained loudly several times about the fact that all these school shooters were already breaking that law, but nobody seemed to pick up on it... least of all, those of us who are supposed to know about it.

So, like, a whole lot of cotton-pickin' good that stupid law did, right?

"Oh, wait,.,. I can't go in that school and shoot the place up!  I can't have a gun within a thousand feet of a school. Drat!"

Grrr....

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 04:40:26 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2022, 04:41:43 PM »
Give thanks to the deity of your choice that Merrick Garland didn't get appointed to the Supreme Court.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-statement-supreme-court-ruling-new-york-state-rifle-pistol-association-inc

Paraphrased: "The federal agency charged with upholding the laws and the constitution thinks the federal body charged with interpreting the constitution is wrong, so we're going to do our best to subvert the law of the land."
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 06:54:26 PM by Hawkmoon »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #145 on: June 26, 2022, 05:28:43 PM »
A small number of people took it away in the first place bit by bit over time.  The importance of judges in our govt is not widely recognized until something like this happens. 

The importance of voting also.  A whole lot of people turned out to vote for Trump in 2016 and overcame what I think was a plan to get Hilary elected in the same way Biden was.  They just weren't prepared for Trump's turnout.  That led to 3 supreme court appointments and hundreds of lower level federal judge appointments that were pushed through.  Pushed through because a previous Democrat Senate majority leader got impatient and removed the filibuster rule for that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #146 on: June 26, 2022, 07:34:29 PM »
Related:
Stephen Hunter: The Assault Weapon Massacres of 1964
https://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/stephen-hunter-the-assault-weapon-massacres-of-1964/?goal=0_0d355b7f6d-e01f6f802c-424828993&mc_cid=e01f6f802c&mc_eid=d123d81d4a

Possibly you’re old enough to remember the great massacre spree of 1964? Classrooms shot up, strip malls decimated, Scout troops blown away, fast foot restaurants turned into mortuaries.

And all because, in its infinite stupidity, the U.S. Government dumped 240,000 high-capacity .30-caliber assault rifles into an otherwise innocent America.

Remember when that happened? No? Me neither, despite being a historian. That’s because it didn’t happen, despite hundreds of thousands of M-1 Carbines being dumped on an unsuspecting public in 1963 for less than a hundred bucks apiece. NRA members could buy them for a 20-dollar bill. No background check either.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #147 on: June 26, 2022, 08:03:40 PM »
^^^That was a really interesting article to read.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #148 on: June 27, 2022, 09:51:39 AM »
That's probably not far off the mark, even if you were being sarcastic. I expect CA and other lib states will be tightly embracing "domestic hate speech/group/terrorist/white supremacist.

I usually try to keep one foot of my sarcasm at least somewhat on solid ground.

Case in point

In guidance sent out to California law enforcement shortly after the Bruen decision was handed down, AG Rob Bonta reminded issuing authorities of the “good moral character” clause, and as UCLA law professor Eugene Volokh points out, appears to endorse an ideological test for those wanting to exercise their Second Amendment right to carry a firearm in self-defense. Here’s what Bonta said:
Bonta says issuing authorities in the state can not only personal references from applicants, but can scour their social media pages looking for anything that they can point to as a basis of denial. Volokh says the whole scheme sounds unconstitutional to him; not just as a violation of the Second Amendment rights of Californians, but as an infringement on their First Amendment rights as well.
Next up for California: an ideological test for concealed carry applicants?
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2022/06/27/next-up-for-california-an-ideological-test-for-concealed-carry-applicants-n59758
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #149 on: June 27, 2022, 10:49:04 AM »

The Federal Gun Free Schools Act- unconstitutional as it is- still exempts people with state carry permits, even to carry in a school.