Author Topic: FFL buys and resells a stolen gun - twice.  (Read 500 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
FFL buys and resells a stolen gun - twice.
« on: November 11, 2022, 08:19:20 PM »
https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/2022/11/11/arrested-stolen-gun-n64266

Guy was blessed, considering.

Anyone else find it really odd that FFLs are apparently not required to check on guns they buy? Then again, maybe it's a good thing that people can sell stolen guns to legit dealers with no questions asked.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

castle key

• friend
Re: FFL buys and resells a stolen gun - twice.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 07:44:02 AM »
Well, you can sell a stolen gun to a non FFL pretty easily too.

It's called the "Church Parking Lot Loophole" better known as a gun buyback, where the church, municipal agency, or police department (none holding an FFL) buys any gun with no questions asked.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 12:29:44 PM »
Anyone else find it really odd that FFLs are apparently not required to check on guns they buy? Then again, maybe it's a good thing that people can sell stolen guns to legit dealers with no questions asked.

It's the "police loophole."

Stolen gun reports go into law enforcement databases. The cops are very protective of "their" data, so they go out of their way to make it difficult, impossible, and/or illegal for serfs to have any access to said data. This includes stolen gun registries. I have read of some departments that will run a serial number upon request to see if it's a stolen firearm, but apparently most will not, on the grounds that they have no legal duty to check a serial number for "civilians."

But they resist efforts to make the database available for public access.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 10:56:51 PM »
I knew a guy who ran a pawn shop in a Houston suburb years ago.  He said they would call in any firearms prior to completing the sale.  I guess the jurisdiction he was in didn't mind it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge