Author Topic: On That Student Loan Forgiveness  (Read 8084 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: On That Student Loan Forgiveness
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2023, 06:43:36 PM »
Biden said he has something in the works

Oh and he also said he thinks the court misinterpreted the Constitution

I saw a quick article that executive team is going to pull something from the 1965 Higher Ed Act.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2023, 06:50:38 PM »
Apparently this letter addressed to Elizabeth Warren from Harvard Law School’s Legal Services Center in 2020, spells out what can be done under the 1965 Higher Ed Act.

https://www.warren.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Ltr%20to%20Warren%20re%20admin%20debt%20cancellation.pdf

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2023, 09:21:30 AM »
Student loans and the mortgage industry are indentured servitude, except you're never freed or released. The USA population loves its chains. The gilding on the cages is shiny. That which can't continue won't. We all need to be ready for when the music stops.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2023, 10:14:10 AM »
Student loans and the mortgage industry are indentured servitude, except you're never freed or released. The USA population loves its chains. The gilding on the cages is shiny. That which can't continue won't. We all need to be ready for when the music stops.
Property and income taxes strike me as much more significant examples of indentured servitude.

Mortgages and college loans are much more manageable and avoidable if people want to. If they are clear examples of indentured servitude then I would think all debt would have to be considered the same.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2023, 10:25:12 AM »
Property and income taxes strike me as much more significant examples of indentured servitude.

Mortgages and college loans are much more manageable and avoidable if people want to. If they are clear examples of indentured servitude then I would think all debt would have to be considered the same.

Yeah, all of a part. It's the system.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2023, 10:25:39 AM »
Property taxes, at least where I live at, I can see where that money goes.

The school district, city, and county publish their budgets and expenditures every year.

You see the expenditures for infrastructure projects, snow removal, parks, schools, police, fire, etc. 

I kind of like backing out onto a maintained throughfare when I leave my property.

Uranus is a gas giant.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2023, 10:34:13 AM »
Indentured servants typically got something they wanted from the agreement too - room and board, transport to the colonies, etc.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2023, 10:38:49 AM »
Indentured servants typically got something they wanted from the agreement too - room and board, transport to the colonies, etc.
We get nice gilded cages, gee gaws galore and don't forget the abundant bread and entertaining circuses. It could be worse.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2023, 10:46:21 AM »

The school district, city, and county publish their budgets and expenditures every year.

You see the expenditures for infrastructure projects, snow removal, parks, schools, police, fire, etc. 

I kind of like backing out onto a maintained throughfare when I leave my property.

Yeah except the politicians just pocket the money and then two years later claim “we need to raise taxes again to fix the roads, this time we will for reals guys“ and people like you scream at us that we hate the roads and kids when we don’t want to raise taxes.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2023, 11:23:21 AM »
Yeah except the politicians just pocket the money and then two years later claim “we need to raise taxes again to fix the roads, this time we will for reals guys“ and people like you scream at us that we hate the roads and kids when we don’t want to raise taxes.

In the midwest they go to jail for that, pocketing money.

Maybe not in Iowa anymore, because the current House, Senate and Governor's office (All GOP) just passed and signed a bill to limit the powers of the State Auditor's office. They all got pissy when the Auditor sued the governor for misspending Federal Covid Dollars.

Politics flip flops, this is going to come back in spades to haunt the Iowa GOP.

Uranus is a gas giant.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2023, 11:26:28 AM »

So, if property taxes were abolished you think all those services would come to a screeching halt, or that accountability for how taxes are spent would stop?

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2023, 11:27:20 AM »
In the midwest they that fall out of favor go to jail for that, pocketing money.

fixed

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2023, 11:30:06 AM »
So, if property taxes were abolished you think all those services would come to a screeching halt, or that accountability for how taxes are spent would stop?

Like all tax cuts, another increase of fees or taxes occurs elsewhere.

Remove property taxes, next thing a 20 year old shitbox now has a $3000 registration fee for plates.

Uranus is a gas giant.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2023, 11:42:33 AM »
Like all tax cuts, another increase of fees or taxes occurs elsewhere.

Remove property taxes, next thing a 20 year old shitbox now has a $3000 registration fee for plates.

A) :rofl:
B ) If property taxes are abolished levying absurd fees on car registration isn’t going to be any more popular.  Most places have sales tax.  Bump that up 2-3% and you’ll get all the property tax money. 

I know politicians love to “punish” folks for wanting freedom.  The fact that we don’t punish them at all, let alone vote them out, is another symptom of our cultural rot.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2023, 11:45:47 AM »
Every time a property tax increase get voted down the taxable value of everyone's houses jump. They just got another tax increase voted down, bet the taxable value of the house will jump again.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2023, 12:32:29 PM »

I know politicians love to “punish” folks for wanting freedom.  The fact that we don’t punish them at all, let alone vote them out, is another symptom of our cultural rot.

That's the problem, vote then out, even if it means voting for the other party.

Another problem that basically caused me to quit the republican party is that at primary time the local party wouldn't even throw a little support to a challenger running against an incumbent. I was extremely active in the county party, even the treasurer for many years, I just up and quit one day because of it. If you even suggested that we should even look at the primary challenger at a meeting you got bullied down.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2023, 12:35:03 PM »
That's right, we haven't been voting hard enough  :P

HankB

• friend
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2023, 12:52:45 PM »
. . . In the midwest they go to jail for that, pocketing money . . .
In Chicago - where I grew up - I assure you that is rarely the case. The politicians have found that the easiest way to avoid jail while lining one's pockets is to fund infrastructure projects with enormously inflated price tags and award the contracts to friends/extended families/campaign contributors. This is a GREAT way to convert public funds into private profits, and as long as those involved are somewhat discrete, the personal enrichment goes on . . . and on . . . and on.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2023, 01:13:30 PM »
That's right, we haven't been voting hard enough  :P

Keep voting the incumbent in and keep getting the same results, who is to blame for that?

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2023, 01:32:09 PM »
In Chicago - where I grew up - I assure you that is rarely the case. The politicians have found that the easiest way to avoid jail while lining one's pockets is to fund infrastructure projects with enormously inflated price tags and award the contracts to friends/extended families/campaign contributors. This is a GREAT way to convert public funds into private profits, and as long as those involved are somewhat discrete, the personal enrichment goes on . . . and on . . . and on.

Chicago is its own bag of problems.

Uranus is a gas giant.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2023, 03:15:12 PM »

You think Iowa (or Minnesota) is immune?  Might be smaller scale graft but you can bet it still happens.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2023, 03:36:57 PM »
But they tried voting for the other party just like you suggested.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2023, 04:51:10 PM »
You think Iowa (or Minnesota) is immune?  Might be smaller scale graft but you can bet it still happens.

Before the State Auditor's office got neutered, they had a pretty good record (GOP and Dem Auditors) in catching them. Next year I'm probably going to be agreeing with you.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2023, 04:51:44 PM »
But they tried voting for the other party just like you suggested.

No they haven't, the Democrats are still in charge.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2023, 02:34:55 PM »
To vote for “the other party” would be to vote in democrats who would turn my area into a smaller version of that absolute shithole Atlanta and make the corruption of the GOP now look like noting.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!