Author Topic: Uvalde, Texas elementary school shooting  (Read 24618 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Uvalde, Texas elementary school shooting
« Reply #225 on: May 29, 2022, 06:43:55 PM »
Although I spoke on the mental health system above, we all remember that not every mass murderer has mental illness.

My impression of the "mental health system"* is that they're mostly interested in getting people back out the door without followup once the noise, drama and overt symptoms have subsided.

(*I'm not sure where to put scare quotes around that.  Many options work.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #226 on: May 29, 2022, 06:49:27 PM »
Although I spoke on the mental health system above, we all remember that not every mass murderer has mental illness.

Yeah...  No. In the context of the mass shootings we are talking about I firmly believe that a sane person would not commit such and act and a mental illness of some sort is required to do such evil.
Even if we delve into mass murder perpetrated by governments (Nazis, communists, et al) it takes a degree of insanity to indiscriminately murder your fellow human beings.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #227 on: May 29, 2022, 07:23:16 PM »

My impression of the "mental health system"* is that they're mostly interested in getting people back out the door without followup once the noise, drama and overt symptoms have subsided.

(*I'm not sure where to put scare quotes around that.  Many options work.)

As far as mental hospitals go, they just drug the *expletive deleted*it out the people and leave them to drool.  I wish I was exaggerating but that’s all that’s happened to the in-law extended family members that have been in them.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #228 on: May 29, 2022, 07:36:53 PM »
Yeah...  No. In the context of the mass shootings we are talking about I firmly believe that a sane person would not commit such and act and a mental illness of some sort is required to do such evil.
Even if we delve into mass murder perpetrated by governments (Nazis, communists, et al) it takes a degree of insanity to indiscriminately murder your fellow human beings.

I think you are stretching the definition of insanity into areas it doesn't belong.  Some people are just plain evil.  Some people are conditioned/pressured into participating in evil acts.  They aren't necessarily insane.  I don't think it is healthy (culturally) to define that as insane.  Doing so makes people think they can never do such things since they are sane.  Anyone can find their way into evil actions if they go down the wrong path or justify in their head that what they are doing is right.  The "ends justify the means" can be used to justify all sorts of things and no one wants to think of themselves as wrong or evil. 

You see people online after this incident who connect strict gun control with preventing kids from being slaughtered.  I might call them stupid, but not insane.  Those beliefs can justify lots of evil acts in the right circumstances.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #229 on: May 29, 2022, 08:03:37 PM »
I wonder how many people will notice the sudden shift in Big Media's concern for children, once the abortion decision becomes official.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #230 on: May 29, 2022, 09:14:39 PM »
It's Kinzinger, so not a real conservative, but I think a lot of Rs are going to go along with him and we'll see "over 21" legislation probably pass.

I would only hope that someone on the R side attempts to amend the legislation to include 21 for voting as well. If an 18 year old is too irresponsible to own a gun, they are too irresponsible for the rest. The voting would certainly cause lib heads to explode.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/republican-rep-kinzinger-brainer-raise-minimum-age-buy-firearm
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #231 on: May 29, 2022, 09:43:57 PM »

"Ordinary Men", the story of police reserve battalion 101.
  this may alter your viewpoint, it did mine.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #232 on: May 29, 2022, 10:54:43 PM »
It's Kinzinger, so not a real conservative, but I think a lot of Rs are going to go along with him and we'll see "over 21" legislation probably pass.

I would only hope that someone on the R side attempts to amend the legislation to include 21 for voting as well. If an 18 year old is too irresponsible to own a gun, they are too irresponsible for the rest. The voting would certainly cause lib heads to explode.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/republican-rep-kinzinger-brainer-raise-minimum-age-buy-firearm

They should then raise the age for military draft, abortion, and trans surgery as well.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #233 on: May 30, 2022, 12:46:03 AM »
They should then raise the age for military draft, abortion, and trans surgery as well.

And marriage.

But I don't think most of the young people today care much about marriage. They just "hook up."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #234 on: May 30, 2022, 08:02:12 AM »
Kinzinger has upgraded to an AR15 ban.

If Swalwell is now into being open-minded and not beholden to special interests, perhaps he'd be open to simultaneously discussing abortion bans?

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2022/05/29/adam-kinzinger-will-now-consider-a-ban-on-ar-15s-earns-the-eric-swalwell-seal-of-approval/

Actually, I think this is a time for Rs to copy Ds and add all kinds of things to any anti-gun legislation.

Minimum age 18 to buy a gun? Minimum age 18 to vote.
"Reasonable" restrictions on AR15s? Ban all abortions after the first trimester.

Make the dems explain "open-minded" and "reasonable" when they balk at these restrictions for stuff they think is important.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #235 on: May 30, 2022, 11:06:42 AM »

Can’t raise voting age to 21 that easy.  Pesky 26th amendment.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #236 on: May 30, 2022, 11:11:15 AM »
According to Joe a 9mm will blow "the" lung out of someone thus... well, see below

Biden, talking about "rational gun laws," says this morning that a "9 mm bullet blows the lung out of the body."

"There’s simply no rational basis for it in terms of self protection, hunting," he added, per pool report.

— Shelby Talcott (@ShelbyTalcott) May 30, 2022

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/05/30/joe-biden-clarifies-2a-and-says-theres-simply-no-rational-basis-for-defending-yourself-with-a-9mm-handgun-that-can-blow-a-lung-out-of-a-body/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #237 on: May 30, 2022, 11:13:26 AM »
    The inexplicable, heart-wrenching delay in Uvalde underscores the indispensable role of police.

— David Axelrod (@davidaxelrod) May 29, 2022
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/05/30/david-axelrod-accidentally-makes-the-case-for-gun-ownership-and-the-second-amendment-in-tweet-that-really-pisses-the-left-off/

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #238 on: May 30, 2022, 11:38:56 AM »

I was unclear (yet again  :laugh: ) in that it was kinda my point. There's the pesky 2nd amendment as well. Just kind of a "How do you like it when we do it to you?" thing.  =)

Though in the Universe where Ben rules the world, minimum age of 25 to vote, and no voting if you're a full time student. Get a job and some skin in the game, hippie.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #239 on: May 30, 2022, 11:48:10 AM »
I see the point you were trying to make.  As absurd as it is, they get away with gun control by saying “weeeelllll it’s not reeeeaaallly in infringement because you can still own a bolt action hunting rifle and an over/under shotgun”.  Kind of hard to say the amendment doesn’t really mean 18 years old.  And as hypocritical as it would be, no anti-2A judge will say you aren’t really abridging the right to vote for 18-20 year olds by increasing the voting age to 21, even though they can still vote once 21.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #240 on: May 30, 2022, 11:53:38 AM »
I wasn't sure if this goes here, or in the "Biden has lost all cognitive ability" thread:

Biden, talking about "rational gun laws," says this morning that a "9 mm bullet blows the lung out of the body."

"There’s simply no rational basis for it in terms of self protection, hunting," he added, per pool report.

Charlie Spiering
@charliespiering
Biden’s full quote on .22 vs 9mm ammo:

"The .22 caliber bullet will lodge in the lungs and we can get it out. A 9 mm bullet blows the lung out of the body. The idea of a high caliber weapon, there is no rationale for it in terms of self-protection, hunting."

I wonder if he knows what caliber most ARs are?

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/05/30/joe-biden-clarifies-2a-and-says-theres-simply-no-rational-basis-for-defending-yourself-with-a-9mm-handgun-that-can-blow-a-lung-out-of-a-body/

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #241 on: May 30, 2022, 12:06:37 PM »
I can't even...

I just came here to say that I identity as Ukrainian, and I'm keeping my "assault weapons."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #242 on: May 30, 2022, 12:17:40 PM »

Forgot about that.

Okay, back to "everything else": marriage, drinking, drivers' licenses, draft age, age of enlistment -- everything should be on the table (and in the bill).

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #243 on: May 30, 2022, 12:40:55 PM »
How about a compromise? Over 21, any assault weapon you want. Under 21, you're just not allowed to have those scary, lung-stealing 9mm ARs.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #244 on: May 30, 2022, 02:11:26 PM »
Can we beat the Christmas rush and hate him now?

Spending Memorial Day thinking about the soldiers who gave their lives defending our freedom to shoot schoolchildren.

— Michael Ian Black (@michaelianblack) May 30, 2022
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/05/30/actor-comedian-and-gun-control-advocate-michael-ian-black-found-a-clever-way-to-dishonor-the-fallen-on-memorial-day/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #246 on: May 30, 2022, 04:39:45 PM »
Here’s a man destroying his AR-15 with a hammer ‘as instructed by his local police’
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/05/30/heres-a-man-destroying-his-ar-15-with-a-hammer-as-instructed-by-his-local-police/

Jake, a gun owner.. He enjoyed shooting his AR15 for years. A believer in the 2nd amendment. A believer that he nor any other civilian should own an AR15. As he listens to me read the names of the Uvalde victims on my podcast destroys his gun as instructed by his local police. pic.twitter.com/bEtWonRuVC

— lamaritza m (@Icha20211) May 30, 2022

Perfect meme at one of the twitter links
https://twitter.com/JeromehartlF/status/1531333131852300288/photo/1

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #247 on: May 30, 2022, 04:46:16 PM »
    I smashed my car after Waukesha

— Deez (@De6tSl4ve) May 30, 2022
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #248 on: May 30, 2022, 04:47:26 PM »
Here’s a man destroying his AR-15 with a hammer ‘as instructed by his local police’

Fake news. AR owners don't wear hippie sandals. That guy is dressed like a Whole Foods shopper.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #249 on: May 30, 2022, 04:54:48 PM »
Fake news. AR owners don't wear hippie sandals. That guy is dressed like a Whole Foods shopper.

Wearing sandals while I read that.
- Calvin and Hobbes