Author Topic: Battleship Texas Rebuild 2022  (Read 2154 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Battleship Texas Rebuild 2022
« on: June 06, 2022, 02:22:30 PM »
I thought I would just start a new thread for this.  A company in Galveston has acquired a floating dry dock and brought it to Galveston.  They said the first job on location will be to rebuild the Battleship Texas.  Supposedly some work will be required on the dock before the Battleship can be brought over.  Still should happen this year.  I imagine it will be a bit of an event when they move it. 

Battleship Texas Dry Dock Arrives in Galveston
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhtQ161zfKQ
Short video of the floating dry dock arriving in Galveston.  This is where the Battleship Texas will be rebuilt soon. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP94GSctWv8
Longer live version from Saturday.  They talked about where the dry dock came from and other stuff during the stream.

https://battleshiptexas.org/donate/
They have a few neat gifts in their catalog.  I am definitely getting the Zippo.  I would love to get the sword. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Battleship Texas Rebuild 2022
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 06:07:11 PM »
Does this relate to the dry dock they are preparing in Galveston for the USS The Sullivans?  Or are we talking about two distinct dry docks?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 06:29:13 PM »
USS The Sullivans is in Buffalo, NY, not Galvaston, TX.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 06:41:05 PM »
Oops, yes.  Sorry, I misread one of the posts.

I wonder if things like this would be better memorialized by selling small certified, serialized, and labeled portions to hundreds of individuals.  They would be cherished individually by those having interest.  They do sell sections of the deck planking from some famous ship, and I know they sell attractively labeled and certified small portions of some famous airplanes.

They also keep the nose art from a lot of famous planes in a museum somewhere,  rather than the whole plane, which was scrapped.

And from the descriptions of the USS Sullivans' condition, I wonder if it could ever be made safe for visitors.

Terry, 230RN

REF:
https://planetags.com/
https://www.museumofflight.org/Plan-Your-Visit/Calendar-of-Events/7539/nose-art-after-dark
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 06:56:47 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 07:13:25 PM »
Finally some good news.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 09:26:10 AM »
Oops, yes.  Sorry, I misread one of the posts.

I wonder if things like this would be better memorialized by selling small certified, serialized, and labeled portions to hundreds of individuals.  They would be cherished individually by those having interest.  They do sell sections of the deck planking from some famous ship, and I know they sell attractively labeled and certified small portions of some famous airplanes.

They also keep the nose art from a lot of famous planes in a museum somewhere,  rather than the whole plane, which was scrapped.

And from the descriptions of the USS Sullivans' condition, I wonder if it could ever be made safe for visitors.

Terry, 230RN

REF:
https://planetags.com/
https://www.museumofflight.org/Plan-Your-Visit/Calendar-of-Events/7539/nose-art-after-dark

If you look on the Battleship Texas Foundation website linked in the OP, you can get steel paperweights made from metal off the ship.  You can also get 1911 grips made from wood taken off the ship.  I don't know if other muzeum ships do that or not.  They are in the middle of a major rebuild of the Texas so they have metal sections being replaced. 

Eventually, the ships will either deteriorate enough they can't be maintained in the water at all or something different will have to be done.  I heard the Battleship Texas will be moved to some sort of permanent dry dock. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2022, 09:28:17 AM »
Mikasa is embedded in concrete but I'm read even that has it's problems
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2022, 04:57:31 AM »

Corrosion, which concrete promotes.

The curator of the New Jersey made a video a while back talking about various mooring options and their upsides/downsides and includes various methods of putting them on land

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2022, 04:13:34 PM »
FYI, the Battleship Texas is supposed to leave its San Jacinto mooring and be moved to the mobile dry dock in Galveston tomorrow (8/31).  They are supposed to livestream it on their youtube channel.  There are a few videos posted showing preparations. 

https://www.youtube.com/c/BattleshipTexas/videos

There should be an update at this link, but I can't pull it up right now.  The internet at work is slow and the page won't load up.  The text of the last email is below.
https://battleshiptexas.org/departure/

We're still on for August 31st - Here's the Latest
Battleship Texas will be departing San Jacinto for repairs at Gulf Copper Galveston on August 31st! San Jacinto will be closed when the ship gets underway that morning, but you will be able to watch the ship from various locations along the Houston Ship Channel. Bayland Island, the Texas City Dike, Galveston Naval Museum at Seawolf Park, and Pier 21 will all be good viewing locations. We will also be live streaming throughout the day on our YouTube Channel and in our Facebook Group. battleshiptexas.org/departure will feature live tracking, the official live stream, and live updates all through the day, to give you the most up-to-date information as it happens.

This is an ESTIMATED schedule, it IS subject to change. There will be LIVE UPDATES on battleshiptexas.org/departure throughout the day which will be more reliable than this schedule. This is an ESTIMATED schedule.

3 AM: Work starts at San Jacinto - our livestream will start around this time and continue through the entire day. Please remember that San Jacinto is closed until after Battleship Texas is underway.

6 to 7:30 AM: Battleship Texas gets underway and enters the Houston Ship Channel - this is one of the slowest and most complex steps of the day. The timeline from this point forward is at the discretion of the Pilot and based conditions encountered during towing and may differ from this schedule significantly. Please remember that San Jacinto is closed until at least 9 AM.

11 AM to 12 PM: Battleship Texas will cross under the Fred Hartman Bridge and enter the bay - the ship's speed will still be at the discretion of the Pilot and based on conditions encountered during towing, but we will not exceed 6 knots. Do not attempt to watch from the Fred Hartman Bridge, it is illegal and extremely unsafe to park on the bridge.

2 to 3 PM: Battleship Texas will pass near the Texas City Dike - the end of the Texas City Dike will have an excellent view at this time. Because the Texas City Dike has a direct line of sight down the Houston Ship Channel, you may see the ship begin to come over the horizon earlier than this, but the closest approach will be around this time frame.

3 to 4 PM: Battleship Texas will enter the Galveston Ship Channel - The ship will be visible from Galveston Naval Museum and Seawolf Park at this time and will get a good view of the ship turning into the Galveston Ship Channel.

4 to 5 PM: Battleship Texas will arrive at Gulf Copper Galveston - This will be visible from the Pier 21 area in Galveston. The ship will wait at Gulf Copper while the riding crew prepares for dry docking and waits for the appropriate tidal window. At this point we may pause streaming, depending on how long it will be until the next steps.

Late August 31st to Early Morning September 1st: Battleship Texas will be maneuvered onto the dry dock and lifted out of the water. This process will be very slow once it begins. If we stopped, we will resume streaming at this time.

This is an ESTIMATED schedule, it IS subject to change. There will be LIVE UPDATES on battleshiptexas.org/departure throughout the day which will be more reliable than this schedule. This is an ESTIMATED schedule.

If you want to help, you can find the commemorative Colt Python they are selling on the site to help raise money. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2022, 07:01:49 PM »

Mikasa es Sukasa?

Concrete is essentially a sponge. It takes forever to dry out once it gets wet, which means that it rarely, if ever, dries out.

It gets even worse if the concrete is in a marine environment because of the salt contamination. The chloride ions supercharge the corrosion reaction.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2022, 09:47:16 PM »
I'm sorry, I watch WAY too much anime. When I read "Mikisa", I think of Misaka Mikoto in "A Certain Scientific Rail-gun".
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2022, 09:56:04 PM »
Mikasa es Sukasa?

Concrete is essentially a sponge. It takes forever to dry out once it gets wet, which means that it rarely, if ever, dries out.

It gets even worse if the concrete is in a marine environment because of the salt contamination. The chloride ions supercharge the corrosion reaction.

Mikasa

Mikasa Memorial Warship
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/mikasa-memorial-warship

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_battleship_Mikasa
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2022, 08:12:12 AM »
I had no idea she was concreted because of the Washington Naval Treaty.

Interesting.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2022, 09:20:23 AM »
The Battleship Texas is in the Houston Ship Channel and on the way.  Coming up on the Baytown bridge now. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe74Ib49f0Q

Youtube says the livestream won't play in restricted mode.  You might not be able to play it if you aren't logged in. 

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2022, 09:38:18 AM »
Don't think they could handle the load.
Video got jerky then cut out
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2022, 09:56:08 AM »
I thought they were going to do a continuous livestream.  They just posted a short video talking about current status.  I assume they will stream more later.  As they get closer to Galveston, there are public boat ramps and parts to view from.  I couldn't take off today or I would want to head that way. 

They mentioned they might allow tours at some point in dry dock.  I would love to see that. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2022, 10:01:17 AM »
I had no idea she was concreted because of the Washington Naval Treaty.

Interesting.
I remember hearing there were provisions in the Treaty to prevent navies from keep a fleet off the books in mothballs or in some sort of auxiliary status.  Drachinifel did a video about the treaty.  I hadn't realized it was our countries' idea. 

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2022, 12:12:34 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2022, 12:14:29 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2022, 12:32:26 PM »
I never realized just how close the rear turret was to the fantail on Texas.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2022, 01:54:56 PM »
 Battleship Texas Underway Update 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n90FQhqJtao
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2022, 03:40:58 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2022, 04:11:26 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7op4Ut2qS4

Current livestream.  Looks like they don't have much further to go, but I don't know that area.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2022, 04:19:46 PM »
Is is me or is she down by the stern?
Could be her lines fooling me.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2022, 04:38:51 PM »
Easing her into the floating drydock
- Calvin and Hobbes