Author Topic: Battleship Texas Rebuild 2022  (Read 2150 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Battleship Texas Rebuild 2022
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2022, 09:48:45 PM »
 First Walk Around The Dry Dock | Battleship Texas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl8ZPyWGkrg
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2022, 08:27:55 AM »
It would be more interesting if the idiot would explain the things he's pointing out. So far, I'm only 5 minutes into it and I have two big questios:

1. Right at the start, he showed some kind of a fin beneath the bow, with two holes in it. I've listened three times and I still can't understand what he said it's called. He said it's unusual, that very few ships have it. But he didn't explain what its purpose is.

2. He has made multiple references to the round plates being for things like fire pumps. That makes no sense -- unless those are former inlets for sea water that were plated over in a previous repair.

3. He mentioned that the "coating" is in pretty good shape -- but no explanation of when it was coated (the 1989 refurbishment?) or what it was coated with.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2022, 09:05:33 AM »
It would be more interesting if the idiot would explain the things he's pointing out. So far, I'm only 5 minutes into it and I have two big questios:
Idiot?

1. Right at the start, he showed some kind of a fin beneath the bow, with two holes in it. I've listened three times and I still can't understand what he said it's called. He said it's unusual, that very few ships have it. But he didn't explain what its purpose is.
"this is the deadeye for the paravanes"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadeye
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paravane_(water_kite)#Military_applications
I assume it was fitted for minesweeping.

2. He has made multiple references to the round plates being for things like fire pumps. That makes no sense -- unless those are former inlets for sea water that were plated over in a previous repair.
"... blanks for sea chests ..."
When a sea chest is "blanked off" it is blocked and sealed, but behind the blank would likely still be the inlet and equipment for handling the raw seawater.  Blanking is often temporary (although for a museum ship it is probably permanent).

3. He mentioned that the "coating" is in pretty good shape -- but no explanation of when it was coated (the 1989 refurbishment?) or what it was coated with.
"The coating, the 1989 coating is really intact"
This was an epoxy coating.  Above the waterline was a zinc-rich epoxy primer, epoxy intermediate coating, and a silicone alkyd top coat.
Underneath the waterline received six coats of an anti-corrosion epoxy coating, the last being colored black.
http://battleshiptexas.info/html/History/1988-1990.html

HankB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2022, 10:29:12 AM »
Thanks for posting the dry dock link, WLJ.

I listened to "deadeye for the paravanes" at least 5 or 6 times before I figured out what he was saying, and then had to go to wikipedia to figure out what it was. (Clearly, I'm no swabbie.) I'm still not sure how useful something at the bow would be for guiding paravanes whose fins would presumably guide them 'way out to the side, or how they'd thread a new cable through when they lost one.

No wonder hardly any ships have them today.

I was also mildly surprised at how rough the hull was underneath - I wonder how many knots were cut off the speed and range of the ship, or if it's just a case of the ship itself being SO big by comparison the protuberances and such are inconsequential.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2022, 11:25:41 AM »
USS New Jersey, I believe, still has some of the equipment for paravanes in place.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2022, 03:29:02 PM »
USS New Jersey, I believe, still has some of the equipment for paravanes in place.

I watched a video by the curator of the New Jersey. He said that the attachment point in the New Jersey was in bad shape and had to be removed when it was last refitted for activation, but that the other battlewagons that were reactivated for use in Southeast Asia still had them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2023, 07:16:30 AM »
Drach visits the USS Texas

Far worse inside than I expected but I guess I should have considering her age and the fact she wasn't all that well taken care for quite a long time. Armor deck is warping from rust in places.
A cool look at the inside showing a mix of Dreadnought and WW-II era equipment.

USS Texas in Drydock - 2023 (Lets go inside!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgfGGNNUYas
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 08:43:40 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2023, 11:34:08 AM »
Not that it was an option for much of Texas' existence but one of the best things that New Jersey has had done is air conditioning for much of the interior. IIRC Ryan said 80 percent in one video. That keeps the humidity down and extends the life of just about everything, including paint. While I think that as an irreplaceable artifact she needs to be in climate controlled indoors I understand that the Foundation does have plans to get at least some of the interior air conditioned at her new berth.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2024, 10:38:08 AM »
Back in the water

Warning: His choice of music is shall we say not to my liking.

First Drone Footage of Battleship Texas Now at Pier D in Galveston after Leaving Dry Dock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZXqcsG8Jtc
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2024, 06:29:24 AM »
Thanks for posting the dry dock link, WLJ.

I listened to "deadeye for the paravanes" at least 5 or 6 times before I figured out what he was saying, and then had to go to wikipedia to figure out what it was. (Clearly, I'm no swabbie.) I'm still not sure how useful something at the bow would be for guiding paravanes whose fins would presumably guide them 'way out to the side, or how they'd thread a new cable through when they lost one.

No wonder hardly any ships have them today.

I was also mildly surprised at how rough the hull was underneath - I wonder how many knots were cut off the speed and range of the ship, or if it's just a case of the ship itself being SO big by comparison the protuberances and such are inconsequential.

Just another example of video and written presenters who make the implicit assumption that the whole world can read their minds and everyone has exactly the same body of experience.

I wouldn't expect to have to explain "starbboard" and "port," but maybe "abaft" would need a word of explanation or a parenthetical substitute.

Yeah, you could assume your audience would be interested in and conversant with your subject matter, but some others might not want to dig into an on-line dictionary for every other sentence.

I was interested in the battleship, but as a landlubber, I echo Hank B's complaint.

"Put your head on your reader's shoulders" was the best writing advice I ever heard (Winthrop "Winnie" Palmer).  Could be just as  relevant to video presentations as well.

COMMUNICATE, dammit!

Terry, 230RN

See Reply #36 below for correction.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 02:43:10 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2024, 09:45:05 AM »
"Put your head on your reader's shoulders" was the best writing advice I ever heard (Winthrop "Winnie" Palmer).

To do so you must first have a head on your shoulders.

Good to see the old girl back afloat. Hoping they make a comprehensive documentary of the refit.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2024, 02:41:31 PM »
Actually, I typed that wrong.  It should have been "Put the reader's head on your shoulders," as Winnie Palmer put it, but I'll leave it alone in the original above.

<chagrin>

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2024, 12:12:00 PM »
USS New Jersey's turn

Live links

Underway on Battleship New Jersey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToDAq0HeF94

LIVE LOOK: USS New Jersey to move down Delaware River to dry dock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGYPZKYpVB4
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2024, 06:16:45 PM »
 LIVE: Battleship New Jersey continues voyage down Delaware River
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbahiEILxUk
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2024, 05:32:12 PM »
NJ being eased into drydock

Battleship New Jersey moving to Philadelphia Navy Yard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5cDqdV56ZY
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2024, 06:23:23 PM »
Drach is on the ship during the above

Live Drydock from a Drydock during Drydocking - Aboard USS New Jersey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSne0Co_iLs
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 07:24:04 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2024, 07:29:12 AM »
The New Jersey was built at the Philadelphia Navy Yard.

Nice homecoming.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2024, 07:11:35 PM »
 In The Drydock: First Look At The Ship On The Blocks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuyU2obzIQc
- Calvin and Hobbes