Author Topic: The Rosary and the AR-15  (Read 791 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
The Rosary and the AR-15
« on: August 26, 2022, 06:31:49 PM »
Article goes on about the Rosary is a symbol of far right extremism. Along the way it attacks Christianity, guns, masculinity, white supremacy, and western civ. 
Don't think I've even seen a more hate filled tirade

How the Rosary Became an Extremist Symbol
The AR-15 is a sacred object among Christian nationalists. Now “radical-traditional” Catholics are bringing a sacrament of their own to the movement.
http://web.archive.org/web/20220814164500/https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/08/radical-traditionalist-catholic-christian-rosary-weapon/671122/
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 06:59:29 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: The Rosary and the AR-15
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 06:56:06 PM »
I must hang out with the wrong crowd. All these years as an NRA instructor, gun reviewer, and everyday carrier -- and I have never encountered anyone who drapes rosary beads on their firearms.

I suspect that my late wife would not have been happy about being characterized as a Christian terrorist.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 11:43:49 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 07:04:10 PM »
"Rad-trad". I'm sure they think they are clever. They are The Atlantic after all.

I see they mention Crusaders, and that is something of a thing. I have this t-shirt, though it's more about the Knights Templar:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010117IAM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 07:06:23 PM »
That's a new one on me.  Anything to create confusion and discontent in the ongoing destruction of American values.

So I checked.

I always carry a Rosary concealed in a neat little plastic pouch.  The Hail Mary beads are 5 mm (0.195") and the Our Father beads are 6.81 mm (0.269") in diameter. I hope that's not against any caliber laws or classifies it as a Destructive Device or AOW.

And how could you call me a conservative? Just because I think the Inventors of our country knew what they were doing and that modern judges can't understand English?

Pshaw!

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 07:16:11 PM »

I see they mention Crusaders, and that is something of a thing. I have this t-shirt, though it's more about the Knights Templar:

Something they often leave out about the Crusades is that the Crusades were a response to Muslim invasions of Christian lands.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 08:50:20 PM »
"Rad-trad". I'm sure they think they are clever. They are The Atlantic after all.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010117IAM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As an avid fan of the Assassin's Creed series of video games, Templars always make me twitchy.   Those guys are up to something.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 08:50:44 PM »
Something they often leave out about the Crusades is that the Crusades were a response to Muslim invasions of Christian lands.

Don't you know it's racist to point out the truth?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2022, 09:57:07 PM »
A Canukian "anti-hate" researcher" justifying his phony-baloney job.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2022, 10:01:30 PM »
I'm closer to atheist than agnostic, definitely not religious. My AR-15's or equivalent definitely have nothing to do with any religious beliefs. I doubt I'm the only one...

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2022, 10:19:05 PM »
I must hand out with the wrong crowd. All these years as an NRA instructor, gun reviewer, and everydat carrier -- and I have never encountered anyone who drapes rosary beads on their firearms . . .
Ditto. Raised Catholic, I never saw anyone doing what was described in the link at the OP, so I guess I hang out with the wrong crowd, too. The closest thing I ever saw to "weaponizing" a rosary (outside of demon fighting movies) was in an antique "Vampire Hunting Kit" dating back to before the Civil War.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2022, 01:59:30 AM »
I clicked on the link for the weaponized Rosary - I'm gonna get some one of these days, I was raised Catholic , who knows ... maybe it is time to start attending Mass again.
I was seriously into a fundamentalist Church for awhile but I never felt like I was accepted.
 ( one particularly annoying gal there is for abortions and antigun  )
 other than planning on attending a few meetings to celebrate 27 years of sobriety - I no longer go to AA either ...
 Maybe it is time to go annoy my fellow Catholics again.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2022, 03:20:19 PM »
Sounds like the author saw one Instagram page with artwork and invented a whole story out of it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge