Author Topic: CMMG Dissent  (Read 1152 times)

MechAg94

• friend
CMMG Dissent
« on: June 14, 2022, 10:26:53 AM »
https://cmmg.com/dissent

CMMG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFTZMX8Uoe4

CMMG Dissent Teaser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YqEYw-oAN0

Comment on the first one is VSO gun channel will be posting a review later this week.  I am sure some full reviews will be out soon.
Looks interesting.  I don't know if I want this one.  However, I was eyeing the PSA Jakl which is similar.  I guess we will see what the price looks like.  If they make an MK47 version, I may have to jump on that.  The PSA Jakl I was able to handle at the NRA show.  It is bit heavy compared to an equivalent AR pistol.  I guess all the recoil hard ware and compact support structure needed will do that.

This seems to be a current trend in rifles to develop a buffer-less AR design that allows for a folding stock and overall compact package.  I like the idea.  I hope the options aren't super expensive.  The PSA Jakl goes for $1100 on their website.  Looks like this one is $1999.   The Brownells BRN-180 pistol uppers are in the $900 range. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
Re: CMMG Dissent
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 10:34:36 AM »
Cool, I really like the idea.  Probably going to be too expensive for me to jump on it though.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 10:37:13 AM »
I could see myself picking that up as an upper.  It looks like it goes on a standard lower.

6.5" is pretty dang short for 5.56 though.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 10:40:32 AM »
I could see myself picking that up as an upper.  It looks like it goes on a standard lower.

I agree on the barrel length.  I would prefer at least 10" for 5.56. 

You can get a Brownells BRN-180 pistol upper in the $900 range. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 10:41:39 AM »
My MCX Canebrake has a folding stock -- er, I mean, pistol brace. I'm not sure I see a lot of utility. Obviously it makes for a smaller package for storage/carry, but I'm not that crazy about shooting it with the stock folded. I mean, it's fun to do so, but I don't know that I would do so defensively. I don't have a lot of expertise, so I might be missing something on that front.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2022, 10:47:04 AM »
Other than just "fun", the folding stock SBR pistol is pretty much a "so I can conceal it in a normal looking backpack" gun.  Or fit nicely under the seat.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2022, 10:58:08 AM »
My MCX Canebrake has a folding stock -- er, I mean, pistol brace. I'm not sure I see a lot of utility. Obviously it makes for a smaller package for storage/carry, but I'm not that crazy about shooting it with the stock folded. I mean, it's fun to do so, but I don't know that I would do so defensively. I don't have a lot of expertise, so I might be missing something on that front.
I didn't mention the Sig MCX Virtus pistol.  That is pretty compact.  Also expensive and very hard to find. 

I don't think I ever considered shooting without the folding brace.  That would be contact distance only.  My idea is it is a very compact package that can be stashed in a bag/backpack.  I also wouldn't want to shoot it without sound suppression.  (What dogmush said  =)  )

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2022, 11:00:25 AM »
I'm getting to the point that I don't like shooting ANY rifle without sound suppression.  I'm going to go pay to put a Nomad .30 in jail this afternoon.

But yeah, the super short 5.56's can be especially harsh, moreso if they have a brake.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2022, 11:08:34 AM »
I'm getting to the point that I don't like shooting ANY rifle without sound suppression.  I'm going to go pay to put a Nomad .30 in jail this afternoon.

But yeah, the super short 5.56's can be especially harsh, moreso if they have a brake.

The Canebrake with .300blk subsonic is practically movie quiet. My 11" PWS 5.56, not so much.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2022, 11:16:08 AM »
My 10.5 5.56 with my Form 1 can is reasonably quiet.  I shot my PTR-91 unsupressed last weekend (and in a drainage pipe for some of it) and it was pretty fricking loud.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2022, 12:10:05 PM »

You are better served with .300BO since that cartridge was designed for short barrels.  Bonus points for going subsonic with a can attached.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2022, 12:19:24 PM »
Not until subsonic .300blk is under $1 a round. I have enough expensive to feed guns.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2022, 01:28:07 PM »
Not until subsonic .300blk is under $1 a round. I have enough expensive to feed guns.

Yeah, prices on that are ridiculous right now. I bought 1000 rounds not long before the craziness, and I'm getting low and not shooting much of it these days because I don't want to spring for more at these prices (though I guess I'll eventually have to bite the bullet).

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2022, 02:04:16 PM »
I have been shooting with OSS (Huxworx) 30 cal and 5.56 suppressors lately.  They work well.   

I have a Zastava M85 AK pistol in 5.56.  I put a 4 piece muzzle brake on it like this link.  It actually does a decent job of keeping the muzzle blast from being obscene to the shooter.  I never tried it on an AR. 
https://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30405

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2022, 04:37:42 PM »
To steady a braceless pistol, put a piece of webbing or a bungie on it, and wear it over the back of your shoulder, pushing forward on the firearm.
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2022, 03:56:04 PM »
MAGA Dissent.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2022, 04:37:54 PM »
And…they decided to market the gun as some sort of Christian Nationalist Statement (note Lord’s Prayer on arm)

Nitpick: that isn't The Lord's Prayer.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 06:37:23 PM by Angel Eyes »
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2022, 08:00:06 PM »
I built an AR pistol and had to use a linear compensator to reduce muzzle flash and sound.  Could only imagine the bark the CMMG will make….