Author Topic: So, did you buy a diesel?  (Read 426 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
So, did you buy a diesel?
« on: June 17, 2022, 12:14:49 AM »
Looks like things are going to get even sportier around that... We already had about a month where we couldn't get DEF, and we are just now seeing more availability of diesel oil.

https://www.newsweek.com/diesel-exhaust-fuel-shortage-us-drivers-fuel-prices-russia-ukraine-war-1716503
Blog under construction

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: So, did you buy a diesel?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 12:59:44 AM »
I was in Wally World the other night and they had shelves stocked with 2.5 gal jugs of DEF with a May date on them. I bought a couple, I will probably go back for more. I would like to see one of the local stations put in a tank and sell it at the pump.

bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 07:42:02 AM »
Apparently the newer fertilizer plant in Weaver, IA has been making DEF the last few months instead of 32%. Heard this in coffee chats with folks in the ag world.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 09:18:34 AM »
I don't have a diesel myself, but I've heard some clever people have found a way around having to use DEF.  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 10:11:33 AM »
I don't have a diesel myself, but I've heard some clever people have found a way around having to use DEF.  >:D

Yep.  I stared using ABC.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2022, 10:16:58 AM »

This whole secondary fuel additive thing has perplexed me ever since I've heard of it.  I don't own a diesel but would love a concise explanation of what DEF is, why it's suddenly necessary, and what happens to a modern diesel engine if no DEF is present. 

Is DEF in a separate tank than the actual fuel?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2022, 10:34:04 AM »
Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is a mixture of urea and water that is used in the Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) process on newer medium and heavy duty diesel vehicles.

Briefly, the DEF is sprayed into the exhaust stream and on to a special catalyst (In a different catalytic converter) where the urea reacts and turns to ammonia.  The ammonia reacts with the various nitrogen oxides to break them down, lowering the tailpipe NOx levels to a point they pass EPA regs.  I think the water component of DEF helps with particulates as well, although most of those are caught and burned off in the Diesel Particulate Filter, which is also in the exhaust, but separate from the SCR system.

DEF is kept in a separate tank on the truck, and never mixes with the diesel.  As for what happens if you run it dry?  Obviously the exhaust is dirtier, and I'd expect the truck to throw all kinds of codes, maybe even drop into limp mode.  The whole SCR system is downstream and independent of the engine, so it shouldn't damage the engine, but I don't know enough about the catalysts involved to tell you if running the engine without DEF might damage the converters.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2022, 11:12:16 AM »
You can do a digital delete, but don't get caught.

We _finally_ got a multiple-case shipment of Rotella T6 this week.

Remember that damn near anything that affects trucking rolls downhill, and gathers mass...
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2022, 11:31:31 AM »
Yeah, it goes without saying that altering the emissions control system on any vehicle is a violation of the Clean Air Act that can make you liable for some impressive civil penalties as well as (probably) criminal violations in your state.