Author Topic: Didn't realize GAF was in the solar roof game now  (Read 999 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Didn't realize GAF was in the solar roof game now
« on: March 15, 2022, 09:30:49 AM »
Pretty good general take on solar roofs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFwZQHZAJDc

Most interesting part for me was finding out GAF is now in the solar roofing market, and in a way that is more in line with traditional products. That has the potential for bringing solar roofs solidly mainstream.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Didn't realize GAF was in the solar roof game now
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 09:36:54 AM »
Well bummer, I just got my roof replaced a few years ago.

The roof on the front of my house would be a perfect location for solar panels. Basically faces due west, so it gets sun a good portion of the day.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 10:43:19 AM »

The roof on the front of my house would be a perfect location for solar panels. Basically faces due west, so it gets sun a good portion of the day.

You can always add panels on top of your existing roof.  That is usually the cheapest way to add solar and it may extend the live of that part of the roof.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 10:48:32 AM »
You can always add panels on top of your existing roof.  That is usually the cheapest way to add solar and it may extend the live of that part of the roof.

I would like to do that, but my stupid roof has great East and West exposure, some North exposure, and literally only ~200sq ft of Southern exposure. So if I do solar, I'll need to look at a ground install. While I have the space for a ground install, it will be long run for the electric to the main breaker.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 11:12:41 AM »
Oh, crap. My roof faces west... I thought that was good. It's South that's good.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 02:43:03 PM »
Oh, crap. My roof faces west... I thought that was good. It's South that's good.

Only in the Northern Hemisphere.

I wonder if you were just thinking that the afternoon is usually the warmest part of the day.

I would worry about hail damage, yet I never hear it mentioned. A regular roof can take some fairly large hailstones, but a solar panel?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2022, 02:49:34 PM »
Have asked that question of several local companies hawking home solar. Usual response is either deflection, denial, or confused silence.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2022, 02:55:54 PM »

Same here.  And my house (lengthwise) runs SSE to NNW with a very large ash tree near the SW corner shading over 1/2 the house.  The neighbors across the street have a maple and two oaks that are even larger and help to shade my house after about 3 p.m.  And I have a linden tree in my front that also shades my western exposure.
With all the large, mature trees around, I would be lucky to get more than 10% power from panels on my house.
  =( =(
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2022, 02:56:38 PM »
Would added solar panels be considered part of the house and therefore covered by insurance?  I would think that insurance companies would have the hairy eye on solar panel damage and possibly deny coverage because it was an unauthorized addition under their policies.

After all, insurance companies are in the business of collecting premiums, not of paying claims.  >:D

Terry, 230RN

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2022, 05:18:14 PM »
Would added solar panels be considered part of the house and therefore covered by insurance?  I would think that insurance companies would have the hairy eye on solar panel damage and possibly deny coverage because it was an unauthorized addition under their policies.

After all, insurance companies are in the business of collecting premiums, not of paying claims.  >:D

Terry, 230RN

Yes, solar panels are covered by home insurance.  At least mine are.  I simply notified them that they were being installed and gave them the basic specs/value.  I think I sent a photo, too.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2022, 07:11:47 PM »
FYI to those that are curious. 

My May power usage was a net of -187 kWH.  They owed me $1.60
My June power usage was a net of -169 kWH.  My bill is $2.97

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2022, 08:55:21 PM »
Have asked that question of several local companies hawking home solar. Usual response is either deflection, denial, or confused silence.

Brad
Hail wasn't my first thought, but we have it here sometimes.  Usually not very big.  However, since I have been in my house, I have been through two hurricanes (not full force) and at least one tropical storm.  I want to know what the wind rating is and how fragile they are.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2022, 09:27:38 PM »

South is best, but west isn't bad; you'll be capturing some of the energy that would be otherwise contributing to heat gain.  (I guess in the winter that's a bad thing, but the total solar energy available in the winter is probably not significant)

I've thought about putting solar panels on the south side of my detached garage.  That would have no affect on the heat gain of my house, but in summer when the days are 18 hours long it could collect a lot of energy.
"It's good, though..."