Author Topic: Five Planets and a Moon  (Read 703 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Five Planets and a Moon
« on: June 22, 2022, 07:25:22 PM »
For the next few days, you can see five planets and the moon in alignment in the predawn sky. I'm always up at that time anyway, and we've finally been getting a streak of cloud free days, so I'm going to check it out. Won't happen again until 2040.

https://www.space.com/five-planets-align-rare-skywatching-june-2022
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 09:16:26 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Five Planets and a Moon
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 07:39:46 PM »
Fascinating!

A conjunction of the Moon with avocado salad!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 09:16:13 PM »
Oops!  :rofl:

Fixed in the OP.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 12:02:56 AM »
TOAST! NEEDS TOAST!
Blog under construction

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 10:02:10 AM »
I'll probably check it out, too . . . but from where I'm at, it would take a lot more effort than its worth to go to a vantage point where I'd have a good chance of spotting Mercury.

I'm waiting for the eclipse of April 8, 2024 - my home is in the path of totality.  =)   Hope it isn't overcast that day.  :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 10:11:36 AM »
I checked it out this morning. It was pretty neat. I'll be looking tomorrow morning as well. This is the first celestial event in the last couple of years where I got both no clouds and an unobstructed view. A couple of the last ones were cloud free but blocked by mountains.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 12:30:41 PM »
Looked at it this morning - saw 4 of 5 planets, as expected no Mercury. Hauled out my old Celestron C90 telescope, viewed Saturn's rings then turned it towards Jupiter and saw all 4 of Jupiter's Galilean satellites.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2022, 12:35:17 PM »
Looked at it this morning - saw 4 of 5 planets, as expected no Mercury. Hauled out my old Celestron C90 telescope, viewed Saturn's rings then turned it towards Jupiter and saw all 4 of Jupiter's Galilean satellites.

Yeah, I needed binos to see everything.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2022, 12:39:05 PM »
 I start work at 5am and have been watching this for weeks, still haven't seen Mercury.  Uranus is halfway between Venus and Mars by the moon right now, but you can't see it without optics, I've got a Celestron 127EQ I've been setting up on the weekend.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2022, 01:04:45 PM »
That's no moon
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2022, 03:35:37 PM »
I went for a walk very early this morning and didn't even think about this.  I did get to see a raccoon and her kit though.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2022, 05:31:35 PM »
I've got mountain pollution on the west side and tree pollution on the east side.  I may be able to get a peep through a small break in the trees.  I'll check my XASTRO program to see exactly where they'll all be.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2022, 06:21:28 PM »
Uranus is halfway between Venus and Mars

Speak for yourself . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht