Author Topic: I just successfully repaired a small engine for the first time  (Read 1064 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
I have two push mowers, a Husqvarna with a Honda engine and a Lawnboy with a Kohler.  The Husky hasn't run for several years.  It *almost* runs; if I sprayed starting fluid in it it would start until the ether was used up.  The Lawnboy has been a champ, but lately it starts easily, runs for 30 seconds or so and dies and then won't start again for a while.  Either it has a fuel filter inside the tank that is totally clogged up, or it only runs when the automatic choke is closed.

I decided to do the Husky first for practice.  Took the intake apart and half-assed cleaned the air filter housing etc.  There were some small vent passages that were kinda blocked with debris.  Made sure all the linkages were working.  Then took the carburetor apart and cleaned that as best I could without a rebuild kit.  (the hardest part was grinding down a cheap screwdriver to get it to fit to unscrew the main jet.  Put it all back together and it started right up.  Smoked for a bit and was a little rough; I revved it up by manipulating the governor and it settled down and ran good.  I didn't have the discharge chute on or the height adjusted, but I mowed the front yard with it like that because I was afraid to kill it to set it up  =D
"It's good, though..."

Jim147

• friends
Re: I just successfully repaired a small engine for the first time
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 02:25:10 PM »
The gas we have these days kills everything.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 02:28:31 PM »

Ever since I moved to America where I can now get it, I put real gas into all my small engines.

Good job on the repair, Bob!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 02:31:12 PM »
All hail zcxvbob, the Mighty Conqueror! His exploits shall celebrated, his victories lauded, and his lawn revered!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 02:32:30 PM »

I use real premium gas, and I drain the tanks at the end of the season and run them dry.  Didn't matter, the carburetor bowl was full of rust.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 02:34:51 PM »
I shut off the gas and run the carbs dry, but I usually don't drain the fuel. I put Stabil in it for the Winter though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2022, 02:39:11 PM »
I use real premium gas, and I drain the tanks at the end of the season and run them dry.  Didn't matter, the carburetor bowl was full of rust.

Premium still contains ethanol, at least most of the time and in most places.

Echoing Ben on his StaBil suggestion.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2022, 02:42:57 PM »
Stabil puts a floating layer on the surface. Works fine if it is not disturbed. One of the guys we talk with suggested mixing an ounce or so of Seafoam with the gas instead if it is going to be moved around.
Blog under construction

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2022, 02:54:52 PM »
Stabil puts a floating layer on the surface. Works fine if it is not disturbed. One of the guys we talk with suggested mixing an ounce or so of Seafoam with the gas instead if it is going to be moved around.

Bad idea. Seafoam is one quarter isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol). Stick with StaBil.

Brad
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2022, 03:05:55 PM »
"Real premium" means no ethanol added.  =D  It's not that hard to find here, just expensive.  Oddly enough in Texas, it is *very* hard to find non-oxygenated gasoline.  Last time I looked for it there I had to drive to Lake Livingston and buy it at a marina.  (I was going to Livingston anyway)
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2022, 03:12:54 PM »
I fill up a two gallon gas can with regular gas, add two ounces of SeaFoam, and use that to run the push lawn mower and the pressure washer, both with Honda engines. Does the Collective recommend another additive instead?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2022, 03:22:43 PM »
I fill up a two gallon gas can with regular gas, add two ounces of SeaFoam, and use that to run the push lawn mower and the pressure washer, both with Honda engines. Does the Collective recommend another additive instead?

No reason to add it unless you're having problems with buildup in the fuel system. Most fuel has enough detergent properties to keep things clean. SeaFoam isn't good for long term storage due to the isopropanol content. It's both corrosive and hygroscopic, just like ethanol. If your goal is long-term storage, use ethanol free fuel and a shot of StaBil.

Brad
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2022, 03:32:50 PM »
"Real premium" means no ethanol added.  =D  It's not that hard to find here, just expensive.

If it isn't specifically marked "Ethanol Free" then it likely has ethanol content, premium or otherwise.

Have you checked Pure-gas to see if there's anything closer than the Lake Livingston marina? I see locations in Crockett and Conroe, but not knowing your exact location, I didn't know where to expand the search. We're lucky here... we already had a couple of places with ethanol-free fuel, then Circle K descended on us and built thirteen new locations which carry it.

Brad
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2022, 03:40:19 PM »
A lot of the Buc-ees stations have ethanol free gas (at least down my way).  That is generally what I use for my mower even though it is more expensive.  I put a little Stabl in it since I use it slowly. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2022, 04:32:22 PM »
If it isn't specifically marked "Ethanol Free" then it likely has ethanol content, premium or otherwise.

Have you checked Pure-gas to see if there's anything closer than the Lake Livingston marina? I see locations in Crockett and Conroe, but not knowing your exact location, I didn't know where to expand the search. We're lucky here... we already had a couple of places with ethanol-free fuel, then Circle K descended on us and built thirteen new locations which carry it.

Brad

Real premium is my terminology for ethanol-free premium, LOL.  Yes, it said non-oxygenated on the pump (it wasn't premium, tho').  Pure-gas is where I found the marina at Lake Livingston, but that was 2 years ago.  Conroe would be a *lot* closer, thanks.  My brother has given up and just buys ready-mixed 2-cycle fuel at Home Depot or Lowe's for $25 a gallon (all his small engines are 2-cycle and he doesn't use them often)  I went to Livingston when I had a lot of chain-sawing to do with my dad's old Stihl, and I had a quart of JASO-FD oil for it and wanted to mix my own.

Almost all the stations in SE Minnesota have non-ethanol gas available with warnings all over the pump that it's only for small engines, off-road use, and classic cars.  It is taxed and does not have dye in it, so I'll put it in anything I want. (but it's too expensive to put in my modern vehicles)

ETA: Last time I was home, I had a little chain-sawing to do that was too big for my brother's electric saw.  There was still a pint of fuel left that I had mixed a year earlier.  (I mix it a quart at a time in a 1L plastic pop bottle) Still looked good and smelled good.  I put about an ounce of his TrueFuel in the tank just to start the saw, then filled it up with the old mix.  Ran out of gas just as I was finishing the job; the saw ran great.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 04:47:05 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2022, 04:38:12 PM »

Obviously the solution is to outlaw all carbureted small engines, and mandate increased complexity of fuel injection, a suite of exhaust sensors, an alternator and a web of copper wiring to power the computer and its sensors, a battery and charge controller to regulate the voltage load across the system, a starter motor so that the paraplegic market segment doesn't feel left out from pressure washing or mowing, and a catalytic converter on the exhaust.

That won't drive the price of a new mower up at all.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2022, 05:06:22 PM »
And... They will chip them so that they can only be worked on at the dealer centers...
Blog under construction

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2022, 06:15:35 PM »
No reason to add it unless you're having problems with buildup in the fuel system. Most fuel has enough detergent properties to keep things clean. SeaFoam isn't good for long term storage due to the isopropanol content. It's both corrosive and hygroscopic, just like ethanol. If your goal is long-term storage, use ethanol free fuel and a shot of StaBil.

Brad

I've been using SeaFoam as a fuel stabilizer for decades, never had any water or corrosion problems.  I've used 2 year old SeaFoamed gasoline in a old carburated outboard with points with no problems.

You can also get SeaFoam Pro that has no isopropanol in it if your that concerned.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2022, 06:23:45 PM »
60 mile round trip for me to get real fuel. I put Sta-bil in my jugs every time I fill them up. Even this time of year when I use them in a week or two max. The Harry Furgason gets lead additive since I didn't replace the exhaust seats when I rebuilt it.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2022, 10:06:41 PM »
There are two gas stations in the nearest town and one has ethanol free premium gas that only costs a kidney and a first born. I use that for small engines, but usually run the big Dixie Chopper on regular. It doesn’t seem to care much.

I store in steel Jerry cans and use two ounces of Sta-bil in every can when I fill it up, whether ethanol free premium or regular.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2022, 09:36:24 PM »
I use 2 oz of Sta Bil in plastic 5 gallon containers.  Used to buy only the non-ethanol for the small engines, now all of them are rated for e15.

I've bought gas one summer, then used the last of it at the end of the next summer with no ill effects.  Even the Poulan Pro chainsaw works well with that combo, even when the gas is over a year old.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2022, 11:04:33 PM »
I shut off the gas and run the carbs dry, but I usually don't drain the fuel. I put Stabil in it for the Winter though.

Which do you use - the blue or the red Stabil?
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2022, 11:11:54 PM »

Buy an electric car mower
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2022, 11:31:00 PM »
FYI - a 30 y.o. Stihl chainsaw (Mod. 009) recently had the oil pump fail and, due to its age, parts aren't available.  The piston still has good compression however so if anybody is interested in parting it out - - PM me.
I bought a small Echo top handle model to replace the Stihl and it is a BEAUT !!  It weighs just over 5 lbs. dry, has a 12" bar (the Stihl 009 had a 14" bar), is considered a "pro" model, so much so that it has a sticker on the side stating that it is for "tree trimming professionals".  It is so light that I can hold it with one hand, pull out a piece of wood, zip through it, drop it, and pull the next length out to cut.  I can twist it around and use it up, down, left, & right, almost as it were a "lightsaber".  :laugh:  I compared it to a comparable model of Stihl but it was a heavier saw, with only a 10" bar, and cost $120 more than the Echo !!
This Echo dealer has been working on my string trimmers, mowers, and saws for over 5 years and I have come to value this gentleman's knowledge.  It was he who told advised me about the differences in Stabil and that the blue "marine" formula does a better job of protecting ethanol-based fuels.  After reading the new manual, I had to ask him about the "requirement" for a certain type of oil for mixing.  He said that it has less residue than less expensive oils, allowing the engines to run cooler and stay in "emissions compliance" for longer.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”