Author Topic: Buying a gun while Middle Eastern  (Read 1221 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Buying a gun while Middle Eastern
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 04:46:17 PM »
Next thing you know, the FBI is knocking on your door.

Lying on a 4473 will do that.  Unless you're Hunter Biden.

By the way, your subject line is misleading.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 05:02:03 PM »
On a tangent, I wonder how many gun buyers in states where recreational pot is legal, lie on the 4473?

I'll concede that a bunch of them who mark "no" are probably doing so because they think pot being legal in their state makes it okay. That's language that could be updated on the 4473, e.g., with some statement specifically that pot is illegal on the federal level. Though I guess they would need a separate statement for Oregon, where anything goes drug-wise these days.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 05:07:32 PM »
On a tangent, I wonder how many gun buyers in states where recreational pot is legal, lie on the 4473?

I'll concede that a bunch of them who mark "no" are probably doing so because they think pot being legal in their state makes it okay. That's language that could be updated on the 4473, e.g., with some statement specifically that pot is illegal on the federal level. Though I guess they would need a separate statement for Oregon, where anything goes drug-wise these days.

My neighbor the gunsmith who does the occasional transfer, runs into this all the time.  Washington has had legal pot for years, and people forget about the Federal issue.  Also of note was the comment that if you own guns and use pot, you are committing a Federal felony.  I suspect the Federal prison system does not have enough beds to accommodate all of these lawbreakers in the PNW.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 05:16:42 PM »
[shrug] Simple solution: deregulate.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 05:20:50 PM »

I was all for that until I got the firsthand knowledge of watching a town I shop in across the border in Oregon go from safe and low crime, to high crime and full of undesirables as the pot shops opened up and expanded.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 05:24:28 PM »
I was all for that until I got the firsthand knowledge of watching a town I shop in across the border in Oregon go from safe and low crime, to high crime and full of undesirables as the pot shops opened up and expanded.

Did you think I meant deregulate pot?  :lol:

Seriously, though, do you think pot deregulation across the country (federal and state) would change that dynamic?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 05:54:57 PM »
Did you think I meant deregulate pot?  :lol:

Seriously, though, do you think pot deregulation across the country (federal and state) would change that dynamic?

Knowing what a big loadie you are, yeah. :P  =D

Not sure what you mean on changing the dynamic. Do you mean if every town had a pot shop it would distribute the crime instead of concentrate it?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2022, 06:07:32 PM »
We have pot shops up the wazoo all over Washington.  All that I know from a crime perspective is that they are far more prone to be the victims of strong-arm robberies and burglaries because of the lack of access to the banking system, leading to large amounts of cash on hand.  And of course the burglaries to steal the actual product for personal uses or resale.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2022, 06:15:18 PM »
We have pot shops up the wazoo all over Washington.  All that I know from a crime perspective is that they are far more prone to be the victims of strong-arm robberies and burglaries because of the lack of access to the banking system, leading to large amounts of cash on hand.  And of course the burglaries to steal the actual product for personal uses or resale.

In fairness, I will say that one problem with the pot shops in Ontario, OR is that their parking lots are full of Idaho plates, so the border issue certainly comes into play. But the way the town has been steadily run down in the ~4 years I've been going there is just sad. I recall reading that they rake in more pot taxes in Ontario than in Portland, so it might not be the best place for an "average" comparison.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2022, 06:17:24 PM »

I got what you meant.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

griz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2022, 07:40:43 PM »
I think a more accurate title would be "Buying a gun while stoned".
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2022, 08:22:08 PM »
I got what you meant.

I did mean both.

There is no easy solution to crime at the pot dispensary, or to the racism alleged in the article. We'll have to admit we were wrong, and rebuild a culture based on the old, fuddy-duddy virtues we've been mocking or ignoring for 60-some years. We'll never see a libertarian utopia, but limited government would require us to govern ourselves.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2022, 08:27:22 PM »
A friend of mine who is an Iraqi immigrant (now a naturalized US citizen) bought his first pistol last month and didn’t get arrested. How very strange, given that being middle eastern and buying a gun results in arrest in this horrible, structurally racist country.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2022, 08:53:50 PM »
I think a more accurate title would be "Buying a gun while stoned".
I think that has more to do with it.  Of course, the store could have refused to sell to them. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2022, 09:55:27 PM »

I'm pretty certain the instructions cover that.

Nope -- not the instructions. It's right in the question:

e.  Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?
Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2022, 10:48:02 PM »
Bidness Idea:

We start a courier company. We call it Fistful of Dollars.

Instead of using uniformed armed guards and trucks, we just run ordinary cars with staggered times to remove the cash from the pot stores.
Blog under construction

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2022, 10:50:31 PM »
Heh, if they arrested everyone who smoked pot and filled out the 4473 cough ahem incorrectly, nearly everyone who had bought a firearm where that was required would be in jail.  Ain't enough jails.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2022, 12:45:35 AM »
Heh, if they arrested everyone who smoked pot and filled out the 4473 cough ahem incorrectly, nearly everyone who had bought a firearm where that was required would be in jail.  Ain't enough jails.
Not everyone smokes pot.  However, it might be good to freshen up so you don't smell like pot before going to the gun store....or sober up.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2022, 06:36:18 AM »
" I suspect the Federal prison system does not have enough beds to accommodate all of these lawbreakers in the PNW. "

Solution to that is easy...

Release all of the chill, non-violent pot smokers to make room for all of chill, non-violent pot smokers who commit the heinous crime of filling out a federal form incorrectly.

By the time I retire I fully intend that my gun buying days will be behind me and my pot smoking days will be ahead of me.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2022, 11:24:08 AM »
I keep hitting a paywall

So the guy lied on a 4473 and I take it the news site is calling it racist for prosecuting him for it?

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes