Author Topic: One week to first JWST image release  (Read 2354 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
One week to first JWST image release
« on: July 08, 2022, 09:54:03 AM »
James Webb Space Telescope images inbound. First release scheduled for July 12.

https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/countdown-to-the-webb-telescopes-first-images

Yeah, it's gonna be cool.

Brad

It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zahc

• friend
Re: One week to first JWST image release
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 10:57:17 AM »
I will enjoy it too but please remember that whatever images will be released to the public will be heavily processed to make them pretty to look at. They are basically artists renderings. Some people understand this and enjoy the results knowingly, but it bothers me that a lot of people don't and think they are looking at something they could see with their own eyes through a traditional telescope.

The great thing about astronomers is they always release the raw data, unlike the swindlers in charge of particle colliders, who basically only ever release the artist rendering and then assure everyone that the billions of dollars were worth it because they said so, and oh by the way the result shows that they need more billions.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 11:10:09 AM »
I will enjoy it too but please remember that whatever images will be released to the public will be heavily processed to make them pretty to look at. They are basically artists renderings. Some people understand this and enjoy the results knowingly, but it bothers me that a lot of people don't and think they are looking at something they could see with their own eyes through a traditional telescope.

A lot has to do with camera exposure times. Look at the Andromeda Galaxy through a telescope and all you'll see is a cloudy smug of light.
A long exposure with a camera is needed to produce those pretty pictures we're used to seeing since the light is so faint.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 11:15:05 AM »
The great thing about astronomers is they always release the raw data, unlike the swindlers in charge of particle colliders, who basically only ever release the artist rendering and then assure everyone that the billions of dollars were worth it because they said so, and oh by the way the result shows that they need more billions.
Climate scientists are bigger swindlers - green new deal, global warming, carbon credits, and on and on - their scam makes Bernie Madoff look like an alley hustler with a game of three card Monte by comparison.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2022, 11:16:39 AM »
Climate scientists are bigger swindlers - green new deal, global warming, carbon credits, and on and on - their scam makes Bernie Madoff look like an alley hustler with a game of three card Monte by comparison.

That would get you banned on facebook and twitter.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 11:56:51 AM »
"Space" - just another swindle pawned off on us by the round-earth cult. Enjoy your fake pictures of fictional "space," sheeple.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 01:02:04 PM »

There are a lot of parallels. Such as over reliance on simulation, over reliance on complex models that are extraordinarily sensitive to input assumptions, models that are so complicated that they can't be audited, models that are created by the researchers and never seem to give results other than the results they want, conclusions from the models never seem to indicate (because they can't) that the assumptions are wrong or that they need less money, severe group-think, untestability by third or disinterested partys, etc. Constant appeals to authority and experts being the only ones who can understand, etc.

I would say the primary difference is that climate "science" has been latched onto by political forces, and they haven't figured out a way to do that for high energy "physics". So the harm is much less in the "physics" case because they are merely wasting billions of public dollars pursuing their hobby, which at least employs a few grad students, and is several times less evil than the billions we give to banks for no reason at all.

Note that not all science mega projects are swindles. Astronomy is great because their objective is clear and noble, they generally release all their data and don't have anything up their sleeve. The money spent results in actual science. Similarly with things like the national ignition facility, fusion research to a large extent, etc. I'm not anti science or even anti spending big money on science, I'm just saying that what the particle accelerator people are doing is not science.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2022, 09:43:23 PM »
You can say that until they create a vacuum decay bubble and destroy the planet. Cause of science.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2022, 05:14:11 PM »
15 minutes
Biden is suppose to do the reveal

https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/#public
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2022, 05:17:18 PM »
Jeff Foust
@jeff_foust
In honor of the years of delays in the development of JWST, the White House event where the first full-color image will be released has been delayed from 5pm to 5:30pm EDT.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2022, 05:35:53 PM »
Biden must still be napping
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2022, 05:39:36 PM »
Drugs taking a while to kick in.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2022, 05:49:39 PM »
Zzzzzzzzzzz
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2022, 05:56:46 PM »
Is Harris president yet?
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2022, 06:15:19 PM »
Biden's and Harris's leadership  :rofl:

Looks like it's all Harris so far.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2022, 06:18:16 PM »
OMG the the self promoting is nauseating

Signing woman looks like she's trying to not crack up.

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2022, 06:25:42 PM »
Already over.
Could barely seen the image
Zero scientific info or analysis
It's was 99% politicians patting themselves on the back

Sigh
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2022, 06:32:12 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2022, 06:39:06 PM »
Suppose to be more tomorrow.
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2022, 04:35:27 AM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2022, 07:38:39 AM »
Whoa....

That image has a bunch of gravitational lensing!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2022, 09:09:20 AM »
My God, it's full of stars!

I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2022, 11:07:47 AM »
Whoa....

That image has a bunch of gravitational lensing!

Yup. Gravity will bend light. Kinda makes me wonder what effect light might have on gravity. After all, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Find that and you just might find the answer to the resolution of the unified theory of physics.  [popcorn]

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2022, 11:12:13 AM »
Yup. Gravity will bend light. Kinda makes me wonder what effect light might have on gravity. After all, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Find that and you just might find the answer to the resolution of the unified theory of physics.  [popcorn]

Woody

Then move on to trying to figure out ever even more complicated things, like figuring out women
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2022, 11:13:16 AM »
Gotta figure out what a woman is, first of all.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.