Author Topic: This is charming... Want a gun in New York?  (Read 651 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
This is charming... Want a gun in New York?
« on: July 08, 2022, 01:28:17 PM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: This is charming... Want a gun in New York?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 02:55:01 PM »
Cough up your social media accounts.

And a bunch of other crap.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/08/new-york-gun-applicants-will-have-to-hand-over-social-accounts.html

Adam Scott Wandt, a public policy professor at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice, said that he supports gun control, but that he worries the New York law could set a precedent for mandatory disclosure of social media activity for people seeking other types of licenses from the state.

New York’s law is rushed and vague, said Wandt, who teaches law enforcement personnel how to conduct searches on people through social media.

“I think that what we might have done as a state here in New York is, we may have confirmed their worst fears — that a slippery slope will be created that will slowly reduce their rights to carry guns and allow a bureaucracy to decide, based on unclear criteria, who can have a gun and who cannot,” Wandt said. “Which is exactly what the Supreme Court was trying to avoid.”
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 02:57:07 PM »
I haven't read  the new New York law. Does it define what "social media" is [are]?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 02:58:28 PM »
Cough up your social media accounts.

And a bunch of other crap.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/08/new-york-gun-applicants-will-have-to-hand-over-social-accounts.html

I still haven't seen anything about what happens if you don't have social media accounts to hand over. I'm going with, "no gun for you." There must be a lawsuit in there somewhere.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2022, 03:12:19 PM »
Wow ... combination First and Second Amendment cases ready-made for SCOTUS. How convenient!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 03:17:53 PM »
Found the text of the law.

https://www.scribd.com/document/580655753/Governor-Hochul-Conceal-Carry-Improvement-Act

It does not appear to include a definition of what constitutes "social media," so if I don't have Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or LinkedIn, as far as I'm concerned I'm done.

... (iv) a list of former and current social media accounts of the applicant from the past three years to confirm the information regarding the applicants [sic] character and conduct as required in subparagraph (ii) of this paragraph; and ...

On the other hand, if you parse the language of that requirement, what it actually asks is only for a list of those accounts that confirm that you're a good person. So New Yorkers who want permits should all sign onto some sites that are all about gardening or car repair, make a few benign posts, and call it good.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 03:18:35 PM »
It won't matter. If you do get a permit and ever have to use it you will go to jail like the Bogota guy.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2022, 03:39:58 PM »
It won't matter. If you do get a permit and ever have to use it you will go to jail like the Bogota guy.

=D
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2022, 06:12:24 PM »
Curse you autoincorrect.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2022, 08:01:02 PM »
This is yet another reason for requiring licensing for a "right" is nonsense.