Author Topic: The Brittney Griner Thing  (Read 11375 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: The Brittney Griner Thing
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2022, 12:35:39 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2022, 01:12:28 PM »
^^  :rofl:
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2022, 01:16:58 PM »
I agree with Boomhauer that she was released largely because of her race, gender, sexual orientation, and political leaning.  Only one of those impacts my feelings toward her.

You left out celebrity. Even if she checked all those other boxes, I have to wonder if Biden & Co. would have been so hot to bring her home if she were, for example, a burger slinger at McDonald's or a sandwich artist at Subway.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2022, 01:23:21 PM »

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2022, 03:22:07 PM »
This could be interesting:

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/12/09/karine-jean-pierres-insistence-that-it-was-either-brittney-griner-or-no-one-doesnt-pass-smell-test/

NBC originally reported that the US was offered a deal of Griner OR Whelan. That was edited by them to make it Griner only. It's the MSM, so of course you can't really trust NBC. Nevertheless, common sense would dictate that we came in with the offer of Griner AND Whelan for the big fish, with Russia counteroffering one for one instead of one for two.

We may never know, and it may make no difference to the public, but I sure would like to know.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2022, 07:01:41 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2022, 06:57:54 PM »
Brittney Griner Flees Back to Russia in Terror After Seeing American Flag
https://babylonbee.com/news/brittney-griner-flees-back-to-russia-in-terror-after-seeing-american-flag
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #107 on: December 22, 2022, 07:01:39 PM »
Sincere or just a publicity stunt?
Not like writing him is going to get him released.

Two weeks after she was released from a Russian penal colony, Brittney Griner has urged supporters to write to Paul Whelan, an American detained in Russia.
Griner had been detained on drug charges for nearly 10 months, before returning home in a prisoner swap.

Mr Whelan, sentenced to 16 years on espionage charges, was left behind.

"There remain too many families with loved ones wrongfully detained," Griner wrote. "I hope you will join me in writing to Paul Whelan and continuing to advocate for other Americans to be rescued and returned to their families."

Brittney Griner urges fans to write American detainee Paul Whelan
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64069272
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2022, 07:05:55 PM »
So Ms. Griner suddenly self-identifies as an American?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #109 on: December 23, 2022, 07:56:28 AM »
When getting you released doesn't score any PC Brownie Points

American woman who was jailed in Russia at same time as Brittney Griner speaks out after completing her sentence and returning home without help: 'The government left me helpless while fighting for a WNBA star'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11566643/American-woman-jailed-Russia-time-Brittney-Griner-speaks-out.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #110 on: December 23, 2022, 05:53:21 PM »
Sincere or just a publicity stunt?
Not like writing him is going to get him released.

Brittney Griner urges fans to write American detainee Paul Whelan
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64069272

Michelle Obama could do the thing where she posts a photo of herself holding a sign.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #111 on: December 24, 2022, 03:01:11 PM »
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #113 on: December 24, 2022, 04:14:16 PM »
the American we did not hear about
https://abcnews.go.com/US/american-woman-released-same-day-griner-recounts-horror/story?id=95675778

If this woman is actually guilty of attacking someone with a knife (I don't know) she got off easy.

It is only injustice if she is innocent.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #114 on: December 24, 2022, 05:43:07 PM »
If this woman is actually guilty of attacking someone with a knife (I don't know) she got off easy.

It is only injustice if she is innocent.

"if"
the article says the boyfriend was beating her up and she defended herself
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #115 on: December 24, 2022, 05:44:35 PM »
three posts up

LOL, oop's sorry WLJ!!

Pb

• friend
« Reply #116 on: December 25, 2022, 08:06:06 AM »
the article says the boyfriend was beating her up and she defended herself

No it doesn't say that.  Here is what it says:
Following a broken wedding engagement, she briefly lived with roommates, one of whom was a man who Krivanek said beat her. In December 2021, she was arrested and detained for attacking him with a knife that she said she used to defend herself.

The convicted woman claimed her boyfriend beat her.  This may or may not be true, we don't know.  She said she was defending herself with a. knife.  That may or may not be true, we don't know.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #117 on: December 25, 2022, 01:21:23 PM »
No it doesn't say that.  Here is what it says:
Following a broken wedding engagement, she briefly lived with roommates, one of whom was a man who Krivanek said beat her. In December 2021, she was arrested and detained for attacking him with a knife that she said she used to defend herself.

The convicted woman claimed her boyfriend beat her.  This may or may not be true, we don't know.  She said she was defending herself with a. knife.  That may or may not be true, we don't know.

We all know that a woman would never ever not ever lie about a man's actions,  especially in the case of a failed romantic endeavor.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #118 on: December 25, 2022, 05:41:17 PM »
We all know that a woman would never ever not ever lie about a man's actions,  especially in the case of a failed romantic endeavor.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

thank you!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #119 on: May 13, 2023, 12:57:16 PM »
Prior to the tip, Griner and her teammates stood for the national anthem, and the No. 1 pick of the 2013 WNBA Draft received a loud ovation from the home crowd as she was introduced.

"Hearing the national anthem, it definitely hit different," Griner said. "It’s like when you go for the Olympics, you’re sitting there, about to get gold put on your neck, the flags are going up, and the anthem is playing, it just hits different.

"Being here today ... it means a lot."

Seeing what it's like in the world outside the US can do that.
See if it lasts

Brittney Griner plays in first game since detainment, says hearing national anthem 'definitely hit different'
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/brittney-griner-plays-first-game-detainment-hearing-national-anthem-definitely-hit-different
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #120 on: May 13, 2023, 02:14:27 PM »
U.S. Leftists are OK with drugs.  Russia is Leftist, therefore Russia should be OK with drugs.  Right?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #121 on: May 13, 2023, 02:42:39 PM »
U.S. Leftists are OK with drugs.  Russia is Leftist, therefore Russia should be OK with drugs.  Right?

Since 2016, Russia is now right-wing [sic] fascist. Fascist means "agrees with Trump." Trump is mean, and hates anything you like, plus he hates the blacks and womens and gays, etc.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #122 on: July 03, 2023, 11:58:00 AM »
Just in case you were wondering what the other half of that deal was up to. He's running for office.

The former arms dealer, who the U.S. traded in exchange for WNBA star Brittney Griner, is running for office in Russia as a member of a far right political party.

Viktor Bout, 56, has joined Russia's Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) and is now running to be elected to the regional legislature. The LDP currently holds 23 of the 450 seats in Russia's legislature. The party is to the right of Russian President Vladimir Putin's dominant United Russia Party.

Former Russian arms dealer traded for Brittney Griner runs for office under far-right political group
https://www.foxnews.com/world/russian-arms-dealer-traded-brittney-griner-runs-office-far-right-political-group
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #123 on: July 03, 2023, 12:04:26 PM »
Another million dollar cry baby

Cloud created a stir on Friday when she wrote on Twitter that "Our country is trash in so many ways and instead of using our resources to make it better we continue to oppress Marginalized groups that we have targeted since the beginning of times" and that "Black/brown communities& LGBTQ+ man we are too powerful to still be attacking issues separate."

"I’m blessed to travel the world for my career. I’ve been in plenty of countries that I would have my human rights, healthcare, free/assisted schooling, don’t have to fear mass shootings or white supremacists, don’t have to be concerned about the highest maternal mortality rates," she wrote.

"Less police murders, no mass incarceration based on race, adequate minimum wage, rights to my body as a woman, I MEAN I CAN KEEP GOING.

"Cause these are things that America is capable of…and when I say trash this is what I’m referring to. We choose to allow politicians to line their pockets and spit false and hateful ideologies to pit us against each other.

Wonder if she spend some time in a Russian prison her attitude would change?

WNBA champ Natasha Cloud expands on America criticism after calling country 'trash'
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/wnba-champ-natasha-cloud-expands-america-criticism-calling-country-trash
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #124 on: July 03, 2023, 11:47:04 PM »
Weird that she doesn't emigrate to one of those obviously superior nations.  ???