Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Your utensils?

(1/5) > >>

Bogie:
I'll admit it. I'm a gear whore.

Back in the day, I'd get attaboys at work, and they would usually come with a gift card for the mall across the highway.

Well, there was a Williams-Sonoma store in that mall, and I bought a LOT of pans and other gear. Mostly Calphalon (both anodized and coated), but also All-Clad, etc...

Jen destroyed a bunch of them because she'd get trashed and then decide that she wanted munchies, and she couldn't be trained to not use steel sharp things in them...

I rescued a few from that.

But for the past few years I've been rebuilding my kitchen gear. Not from Williams-Sonoma tho (the local mall where that is located now (a) doesn't want the business of people like me; and (b) seems to welcome the business of people walking around with large messenger bags on their chests and 3' of Indonesian hair, trailing an aroma de skonk...), but from...

Aldi.

I haven't bought a pan or other cooking stuff there that I have not liked.

T.O.M.:
If your looking for cast iron, try thrift store or estate sales.  A lot of these youngsters have no appreciation for cast iron, so sell off or give away the stuff they inherited at low prices. 

Bogie:
I just toss stuff in the dishwasher, so I'm not really the target market for cast iron... I like to cook, and I like kitchening, but when you're doing a 70 hour work week, low maint stuff is good.

French G.:
Yeah, I can get bad, I have a huge All Clad stir fry pan that has been in heavy use for twenty years. Outside is black. Found a Revere solid copper pot for $5 at goodwill, getting close to making cookware and re-tinning copper for fun and profit since there is a market for it. Local town has a shop that beats Williams Sonoma hands down which is good since they seem to judge the color of your money unlike W-S who won't bother to help the working class dressed folks.

Bogie:
I've considered firing up the milling machine sometime and making a Very Heavy Griddle for stuff like pancakes...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version