Author Topic: upping my flashlight game  (Read 1155 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
upping my flashlight game
« on: July 11, 2022, 09:04:12 PM »
Looking for a better EDC light (again), but willing to spend a bit more this time around.

My only criteria are <=5/8" wide, single-function on/off switch (no cycling through light levels), ~100 lumens (or more), and shouldn't cost more than the mid 2 figures.

I thought the Stylus Pro would be a good choice, but it's not quite working out for me. I'd like to try the Fenix LD05 V2.0 CW, but am having trouble locating one right now.

I don't mind a light with different levels. I just want the lower levels to be something I have to deliberately switch to.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: upping my flashlight game
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 09:37:26 PM »
I bought this two-pack LED flashlight a couple of years ago on Amazon.  Works with three AAA batteries or one 18650 rechargeable LiIon cell.  I use mine with the 18650 and get around 700-800 lumens out of it with that battery.  Twenty smackers for the two-pack.  One function on-off button on the back of the flashlight.  All aluminum, rugged, both lights work well, light up my back yard pretty well at night.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VNCWZBF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&th=1

If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 10:52:16 PM »
Thanks, but those are way too thick. I'm looking for a max width of 5/8".

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 11:24:16 PM »
I've got an O-light with rechargeable battery that can be set at any brightness level and it will stay at that when it's cycled on and off.  Great little light, but it's too fat, about 7/8 inch or so.  They make an AA light that's the right diameter, but I believe it always comes on in low mode. 
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 12:10:34 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BWVR3C7

260 lumens, smaller than a key fob.

It does have a multifunction button, unfortunately. There isn't a lot in the EDC flashlight space that doesn't have one these days. It is fairly easy to use as far as multifunction buttons go, though.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 12:31:46 AM »
Anyone have the Olight i5t Plus? I'd like to know how it works.

Has anyone used the 5.11 lights? They have a store in my area, so I might look at one of those.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 01:17:37 AM by Perd Hapley »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 07:48:46 AM »
I bought this two-pack LED flashlight a couple of years ago on Amazon.  Works with three AAA batteries or one 18650 rechargeable LiIon cell.  I use mine with the 18650 and get around 700-800 lumens out of it with that battery.  Twenty smackers for the two-pack.  One function on-off button on the back of the flashlight.  All aluminum, rugged, both lights work well, light up my back yard pretty well at night.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VNCWZBF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&th=1

I just jumped in for a 2 pack. I've been looking for something cheap but bright for walking Seren, especially in the winter. I have a small LED inspection flashlight but it really doesn't kick out nearly as much light as I'd like it to, so it's going to be retired to the arm rest of the sofa as an emergency light.

One of the new ones will go into the Subaru and the other one will go on a lanyard for Seren walking.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

griz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 08:08:24 AM »
Anyone have the Olight i5t Plus? I'd like to know how it works.

Has anyone used the 5.11 lights? They have a store in my area, so I might look at one of those.

This site

https://1lumen.com/review/olight-i5t-plus/

says they always start in low and require another soft click to go to high.  Probably better to try one in person, they have some slightly different models so it's not always clear.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2022, 09:14:15 AM »
A Fenix PD32 has been my daily driver for three years. Its 1" body is outside your diameter criteria so everything I'm about to say may be moot.

https://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=60154.msg1346856#msg1346856

Wear it on a belt loop. Gets used every day. Tailcap on/off with side-button mode select. Mode memory so it stays set through the on/off cycle. Fenix's perpetual 20% off codes can be found with a cursory search.

Brad
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 09:29:14 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2022, 01:11:26 PM »
I just jumped in for a 2 pack.

Me too.  Nice to have a few extra at that price

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2022, 04:35:30 PM »
Damn!

I ordered them this morning, and they were waiting for me when I got home from work.

I loaded one with 3 fresh AAA batteries, and the other one with an 18650 I have sitting around (not sure of the charge state).

Light output seemed to be identical.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2022, 04:56:19 PM »
I use 18650s in both of mine so I won't be surprised by leaking AAA cells one day.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2022, 08:39:18 PM »
What are the gooder flashlight brands?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2022, 03:33:22 AM »
My "work flashlight" is a 200 lumen thing that fits in my pocket.

My "sitting under the counter" flashlight is a 1,000 lumen (rated...) thing that says "go somewhere else."
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2022, 07:11:02 AM »
I use 18650s in both of mine so I won't be surprised by leaking AAA cells one day.

Yeah, I'll probably go that way eventually, but I figure for now I can use AAAs in the flash I use for walking Seren. It gets used regularly and shouldn't pose any problems that way. Hopefully. Maybe...

I also included in the order a box of Amazon Basics AAA batteries. I have a bunch of remote controls and other devices that use the 3As, so I'll chew through them fairly quickly no matter what.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2022, 12:23:06 AM »

Fenix

Streamlight

Surefire

I have a Streamlight ProTac 2L that meets your criterion for diameter, but it has a multi-function switch that drives me nuts, and it's above your price range.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2022, 01:11:57 AM »
Some affordable options from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Hatori-Flashlight-Battery-Powered-Handheld-Emergency/dp/B01M2XK4R3/ref=sr_1_86?crid=1RFYTKE2QNTYS&keywords=LED%2BFlashlight&qid=1657947675&s=hi&sprefix=led%2Bflashlight%2Ctools%2C98&sr=1-86&th=1

Like so many of the LED flashlights on Amazon, you can find the same lights as these from a number of sources, with different names. I'm sure they all come out of the same factory in China. I've had mixed luck with Amazon's lower-priced flashlights. Most are okay, but a couple have been stinkers.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2022, 06:22:00 AM »
Been using those Amazon lights to walk Seren for the last couple of days.

They're OK. They don't have a reflector, so as you go from flood light to spotlight the beam changes from round to square (shape of the emitter). But, unlike the other similar flashlight I got a couple of years ago, the spotlight beams on these aren't well focused. They're... muddy. Still fairly bright.

I like the on-off switch. Those "72 presses of the end cap to get to the light output you want, and running past it several times" switches are annoying.

I would, however, find them to be a bit more useful if the on-off switch were on the barrel instead of the end cap. It's workable, but a bit annoying.

Construction seems to be sturdy. I'm not sure how much use the pocket clip is going to be. The lanyard is a bit on the small size and won't fit over my hand to go around my wrist. Those are minor issues, though.

All in all, not bad for $20.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2022, 06:25:05 AM »
Some affordable options from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Hatori-Flashlight-Battery-Powered-Handheld-Emergency/dp/B01M2XK4R3/ref=sr_1_86?crid=1RFYTKE2QNTYS&keywords=LED%2BFlashlight&qid=1657947675&s=hi&sprefix=led%2Bflashlight%2Ctools%2C98&sr=1-86&th=1

Like so many of the LED flashlights on Amazon, you can find the same lights as these from a number of sources, with different names. I'm sure they all come out of the same factory in China. I've had mixed luck with Amazon's lower-priced flashlights. Most are okay, but a couple have been stinkers.

I picked up a very similar pen light at Home Depot a couple of years ago. Same size factor, same power, etc. I used it as my Seren walking flashlight but it was never really bright enough. Seren would see something and alert and I'd be clueless what she was seeing because it was out of my light's range.

Now that I bought the other lights from Amazon, the pen light (HD called it an inspection light) has gone into the arm of my couch to be used as an "oops, the power just went out and here I am sitting on the sofa" light.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2022, 06:54:26 AM »
I had a Nebo "Red Line" (I think...) light, and it was pretty decent, but I think that one of the (now fired) street racer counter help stole it. Only thing I didn't like was the switch, because I couldn't trust it in a pocket.
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2022, 09:27:57 AM »
I thought increasing my budget would really help, but it just seems to mean a wider selection of flashlights with 8 different modes.

I went to the local 5.11 store, and got one of their $30, 2xAAA flashlights. On paper, it's perfect. The switch seems to be just right. We'll see how it goes. Still might keep an eye out for that Fenix.

Thanks all.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2022, 09:48:02 AM »

Modlite

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2022, 06:52:29 PM »

I have a Streamlight ProTac 2L that meets your criterion for diameter, but it has a multi-function switch that drives me nuts, and it's above your price range.

Looks like some of the ProTacs can be set to run only on the high setting. I think I'll get one of those as backup to the 5.11.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2022, 08:09:30 PM »
I have a ProTac 2L-X. It has alternate brightnesses but you have to work to get to them (multiple partial presses before clicking). If you click it on it will be on full brightness. If you click it again it will be off.