Author Topic: California AB2571  (Read 981 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
California AB2571
« on: July 15, 2022, 01:21:29 PM »
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=202120220AB2571

Of course, it's an "urgency" bill, which means that it goes into effect immediately.

Prohibits "advertising" firearms or firearms related items in a way that is "appealing" to minors.

According to my brother, ranges in Cali are shutting down youth geared events, Boy Scouts are cancelling events, and a lot of people are concerned that the way the bill is crafted, if the media can be viewed in california, it will run afoul of this law, so forums and blogs are telling people to not post any youth related events or even photos of their own children either shooting or hunting.

Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Pb

• friend
Re: California AB2571
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 01:32:22 PM »
Well, that's a First and Second Amendment violation if I ever saw either.  We will see if the courts have any balls I guess.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 01:37:40 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 01:50:09 PM »
Appleseed is probably furious over this.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2022, 01:52:53 PM »
Appleseed is probably furious over this.

If I didn't know better, I would actually think that this was targeted at groups like AS (among others) and the NRA youth programs.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2022, 02:44:21 PM »
My lay reading of it would exempt Appleseed and its volunteers from any punitive retaliation if they just made Appleseed events free in California.  Easy way to continue operations, at least for them.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

griz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2022, 07:14:04 PM »
I wonder if a movie was ever made in California that made guns seem appealing to minors?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2022, 07:39:38 PM »
I wonder if a movie was ever made in California that made guns seem appealing to minors?

It would have to be made by a "firearm industry member" in order to be prosecutable.  Obviously movies are art, and obviously not part of the firearm industry.

(c) As used in this chapter:
(1) “Ammunition” has the same meaning as provided in subdivision (b) of Section 16150 of the Penal Code.
(2) “Firearm” has the same meaning as provided in subdivisions (a) and (b) of Section 16520 of the Penal Code.
(3) “Firearm accessory” means an attachment or device designed or adapted to be inserted into, affixed onto, or used in conjunction with, a firearm which is designed, intended, or functions to alter or enhance the firing capabilities of a firearm, the lethality of the firearm, or a shooter’s ability to hold, carry, or use a firearm.
(4) “Firearm industry member” means any of the following:
(A) A person, firm, corporation, company, partnership, society, joint stock company, or any other entity or association engaged in the manufacture, distribution, importation, marketing, wholesale, or retail sale of firearm-related products.
(B) A person, firm, corporation, company, partnership, society, joint stock company, or any other entity or association formed for the express purpose of promoting, encouraging, or advocating for the purchase, use, or ownership of firearm-related products that does one of the following:
(i) Advertises firearm-related products.
(ii) Advertises events where firearm-related products are sold or used.
(iii) Endorses specific firearm-related products.
(iv) Sponsors or otherwise promotes events at which firearm-related products are sold or used.
(5) “Firearm-related product” means a firearm, ammunition, reloaded ammunition, a firearm precursor part, a firearm component, or a firearm accessory that meets any of the following conditions:
(A) The item is sold, made, or distributed in California.
(B) The item is intended to be sold or distributed in California.
(C) It is reasonably foreseeable that the item would be sold or possessed in California.
(D) Marketing or advertising for the item is directed to residents of California.
(6) “Marketing or advertising” means, in exchange for monetary compensation, to make a communication to one or more individuals, or to arrange for the dissemination to the public of a communication, about a product or service the primary purpose of which is to encourage recipients of the communication to purchase or use the product or service.

This basically bans Guns and Ammo, First Freedom, and a whole slew of magazines in California.  This is going to be absolutely shredded.  They included severability in its terms, but it'll be interesting to see how much of the context stays even with severability.

--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2022, 08:01:59 PM »
I wonder if US Armed Forces recruiting commercials are now verboten in California?

Or law enforcement recruiting activities?

I'd like to see some CA police ride-along and little "junior enforcer" programs, whatever they name them, get prosecuted via this... and just munch on my popcorn from the sidelines.
--Lysander Spooner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2022, 09:02:13 AM »
Who's going to put on a dress, and test this new law at their local DQ story hour?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2022, 09:09:24 AM »
Along those lines

Everytown’s new complaint against Georgia gunmaker Daniel Defense accusing it of “deceptively marketing” firearms to teenagers through its advertising and brand placement in video games and movies.
Daniel Defense has leaned on social media, especially Instagram, which has a young user-base, to promote its weapons, the complaint says, and the company does not restrict access to its accounts to users who are old enough to buy its products.

Everytown files Federal Trade Commission complaint against Daniel Defense
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2022/07/16/everytown-files-federal-trade-commission-complaint-against-daniel-defense-n60468
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2022, 02:22:12 PM »
My lay reading of it would exempt Appleseed and its volunteers from any punitive retaliation if they just made Appleseed events free in California.  Easy way to continue operations, at least for them.

I don't think that would work.

(4) “Firearm industry member” means any of the following:
(A) A person, firm, corporation, company, partnership, society, joint stock company, or any other entity or association engaged in the manufacture, distribution, importation, marketing, wholesale, or retail sale of firearm-related products.
(B) A person, firm, corporation, company, partnership, society, joint stock company, or any other entity or association formed for the express purpose of promoting, encouraging, or advocating for the purchase, use, or ownership of firearm-related products that does one of the following:
(i) Advertises firearm-related products.
(ii) Advertises events where firearm-related products are sold or used.
(iii) Endorses specific firearm-related products.
(iv) Sponsors or otherwise promotes events at which firearm-related products are sold or used.

I don't see how not charging for Appleseed events would make them exempt from this law.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2022, 02:25:33 PM »
If I didn't know better, I would actually think that this was targeted at groups like AS (among others) and the NRA youth programs.

So much for JROTC ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design