Author Topic: License required to have a dog?  (Read 2247 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
License required to have a dog?
« on: July 28, 2022, 03:20:49 PM »
Benton County, OR, requires a license to have a dog. Any dog.

https://www.co.benton.or.us/records/page/dog-licenses#:~:text=Benton%20County%20dog%20owners%20must,establishing%20residency%20in%20Benton%20County.

A requirement for vaccinations I can see, especially things like rabies which can be transmitted to humans and is essentially 100% fatal if untreated. But a license just to have the pet?

Oh, and this was from me doing searches on a current story about a bunch of dog owners ordered to get rid of their pets because "PIT BULL EVIL KILL EVERYONE DEAD DEAD DEAD!!!!"

https://www.kbtx.com/2022/07/28/10-families-iowa-town-told-give-up-dogs-by-authorities/

I know several families with pitties. They're big lap dogs, chill and sweet. Of course, they've been properly socialized and you darn sure wouldn't want to make an aggressive move towards their kids, but that could apply to any dog closely attached to their family. Heck, I had and aunt and uncle who's syrup-sweet golden would lose her mind if she thought they were being threatened. Decreeing dogs canis non grata simply because of their breed is silly reactionism. I know it stems from the pit bull panic of the late 90s and early 2000s, but I figured we were beyond that now.

Brad
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 05:01:00 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

grampster

• friend
Re: License required to have a dog?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 03:42:13 PM »
It's fistful's fault. :P :old:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 03:49:30 PM »
They'll license or tax anything.  Got teeth?  Tax them.

On the pit bulls, same old story.  Pre-assumption (presumption) of guilt before any incidents occur.

Sounds familiar to us gun owners, don't it?

"if it saves one ankle, it's worth it."

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 04:13:33 PM »
If it moves tax it.
If it doesn't move tax it.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 04:28:22 PM »
Dog licenses are required in Michigan, but the law is weakly-enforced. I've had dogs my entire life (I'm 44) and only one time did animal control officers go door-to-door giving "friendly reminders" to get your annual dog licenses.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2022, 04:29:11 PM »
I thought it was pretty much ubiquitous to have to license pets throughout the US.

Both my dogs and cats have Hillsborough County licenses (well the cats had one, because I only renew them when I take them to the vets.) When I lived in AK I needed Municipality of Anchorage licenses for all my dogs, but I could purchase a Kennel license that covered them all. Like a contractor pack at Home Depot. Licenses are generally cheaper if the dog is fixed as well.

As an anecdote I found a loose dog in my neighborhood several months back with just a county tag on, and I was able to call Animal Control, give them the license number, and they gave me the phone number listed for the owner, so I could get the pup home.

ETA after I saw Declaration Day's post: the only enforcement I've ever seen in FL is if your pet ends up in the pound, you'll need a valid license to get it back. I can't imagine our officers going door to door.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 04:40:30 PM »
Pet licenses are required where I live.  It's $10 a year for a fixed animal.  That license cost is actually higher than the cost of a regular drivers license.  I think the concept is a little silly.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 04:54:20 PM »
Licenses are required in Virginia, too.

I generally ignore the living hell out of the requirement. Every couple of years I buy a license.

I'd be a lot more willing to license Seren if people were required to license their crotch fruit.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2022, 05:04:49 PM »
In CA, early on it was just a city by city requirement. Later it went county level, with discounts for spay/neuter (or penalties if you didn't, depending on how you look at it).

In Idaho it appears to be city by city, and being out in the country, Steve is license free.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2022, 05:16:21 PM »
Steve is license free.

Steve has you licensed. You just don't know it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2022, 05:33:27 PM »
Most of Oregon has required dog licenses since forever.  Washington state was like that when I lived there in the '70s.  I believe the fees support the county shelters to some degree.  The license also makes it easier to track down the owners of dogs when they get loose.
I think the licensing mindset goes back to before leash laws became ubiquitous.  It made it easier to get dogs back to their owners when the pups went on walkabout.
All of that said, NC doesn't require licenses and I like it that way.  Our dogs are never off leash or lead, and both of them are chipped, so we aren't too concerned about them getting loose.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2022, 05:38:38 PM »
I have been a criminal for decades, not buying the required city or county dog licenses. Each dog has an ID tag with my name, email and phone number in case of loss as well as being chipped.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2022, 05:39:37 PM »
I have been a criminal for decades, not buying the required city or county dog licenses. Each dog has an ID tag with my name, email and phone number in case of loss as well as being chipped.

Can't say as I blame you for going that route.  Got to keep some small amount of freedom where we can. :laugh:
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2022, 08:17:09 PM »
Pit bulls were bred to attack other animals.  I don't think it is a coincidence they are vastly disproportionately involved in attacking other pets, killing children, etc.  Genetics effects behavior.  The personality trait tendencies of various breeds are pretty predictable.

Pit bulls are crap choice for a pet animal.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 09:43:11 PM by Pb »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2022, 09:35:21 PM »
I thought it was pretty much ubiquitous to have to license pets throughout the US.

Ditto. I'm 78 years old. We have always had to license our dogs.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2022, 09:46:57 PM »
Pit bulls were bred to attack other animals.  I don't think it is a coincidence they are vastly disproportionately involved in attacking other pets, killing children, etc.  Genetics effects behavior.  The personality trait tendencies of various breeds are pretty predictable.

The pit my sister had must have been defective then. Dog was a big softie. I only saw her get angry at another dog once, and it was because the dog (a chocolate lab) was pestering her. She didn't even snap at the other dog, just growled. The dogs were separated and both went back to being chill.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2022, 10:24:23 PM »
My personal opinion is that the perceived problem with pit bulls comes from the result of irresponsible breeders and irresponsible or worse owners.
My neighbor across the road has several pits. When he first moved in he was letting them run loose. They caused some problems. 
The big male has gotten aggressive with me several times in my own yard including one instance when it was inside my fenced yard
 Two years ago it got aggressive towards my wife as we tried to get in my Jeep in my driveway. I got between the dog and my wife while she got in the car. The damn thing was maybe 10 feet from me and I drew and fired. I was only 6 weeks post surgery on my dominant arm and *expletive deleted*ing missed. I put it in the dirt about 6 inches in front of his feet. It moved about 5 feet to one side and resumed aggressive posturing.  Unfortunately it was enough that I no longer felt I had a clear line of fire.  The owner also came running at the time. I told him I purposely put the round in the dirt in an attempt to scare off the dog but if the dog ever came at me again I would not be so charitable. He's kept it and the others chained up since. But they get loose from time to time.
I don't blame the dog or the breed but that won't stop me from killing it if it gives me cause.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2022, 08:20:42 AM »

Agreed. It doesn't mean that every pit bull is going to snap and maul someone, but aggressive behavior was purposefully selected over many generations and it seems quite foolish to ignore that. People seem capable of recognizing what pointers or sheepdogs are "naturally" good at but feign ignorance about pit bulls. When one of them suddenly rips the face off a child the owner usually says "He never acted that way before, he was always so sweet!"  :facepalm: Well, once is all it takes.

I'm not in favor of outlawing or euthanizing all of them or anything, but I'll never understand why someone would pick that breed as a family pet when there so many options without the aggressive lineage.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2022, 04:25:12 PM »
For as long as I have lived, I have a memory of requiring official "dog tags", including grandpa's hunting beagles and walkers.

Now, if it actually created any responsibility it would be better. If I could actually report people for leaving dog *expletive deleted*it on the walking paths, or playing frisbee with their giant dogs in the "dog free" park like the rules don't apply to them, and the government would confiscate their dog and revoke their license, then we would be getting somewhere.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2022, 04:40:38 PM »
Other than having to get dogs and cats vaccinated, we've never had to get a license of any sort.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2022, 08:42:06 PM »
How come no one ever has to say "It's not the dog, it's the owner!" about labs?

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2022, 09:25:17 PM »
How come no one ever has to say "It's not the dog, it's the owner!" about labs?

I have.  It’s just there’s so many labs that are total goofballs that people ignore the bad ones.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2022, 09:48:26 PM »
I have.  It’s just there’s so many labs that are total goofballs that people ignore the bad ones.

OK.

I should have said, "It's not the breed, it's the owner!"

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2022, 11:00:11 PM »

This.  We do the same thing.

It'll be a cold day in hell when I pay the .gov for the "privilege" of owning a dog.

Tangentially related,  I do pay the $5 annually to have my bee hives inspected.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2022, 10:59:46 AM »
"Tangentially related,  I do pay the $5 annually to have my bee hives inspected. "

How many bee tags come with the inspection?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.