Author Topic: 2025  (Read 420 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« on: July 07, 2024, 05:35:59 PM »
I ain't countin' no chickens, but I am wondering what a second Trump term might be like. I guess the rest of us are, too, so here's a thread for speculation.

A big problem with his first term (if I remember correctly) was that a lot of Republicans that might normally have staffed a presidential administration refused to be involved. I think that's how we ended up with the Scaramucci incident. It seems the party is much less divided now, so that wouldn't be so much of a problem. Maybe he could be more effective a second time around, even if he'll be a lame duck half the time.

Also, since American politics has been insane for about 8 years running, how about this scenario?

Jan. 2025: Donald Trump becomes president. Again.

Dec. 2025: Donald Trump is removed from office, following impeachment for ?

Summer 2028: Donald Trump becomes the Republican presidential nominee. Again.

Dec. 2029: Donald Trump is removed from office, following impeachment for ?

Summer 2032: Donald Trump becomes the Republican presidential nominee. Again.

:laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: 2025
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2024, 06:17:44 PM »
Also, since American politics has been insane for about 8 years running, how about this scenario?

Jan. 2025: Donald Trump becomes president. Again.

Dec. 2025: Donald Trump is removed from office, following impeachment for ?

Summer 2028: Donald Trump becomes the Republican presidential nominee. Again.

Dec. 2029: Donald Trump is removed from office, following impeachment for ?

Summer 2032: Donald Trump becomes the Republican presidential nominee. Again.

Can't happen. If Trump wins this election, it will be his second term. Even if he were to be impeached a day after he took the oath of office, he would not be eligible to take office for a third term.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2024, 06:21:18 PM »
Yep
what the 22nd says

No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once

That's why LBJ was eligible to run in 1968 (he declined to do so) but Trump would not be if elected in 2024 and then removed from office
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2024, 06:23:39 PM »
Can't happen. If Trump wins this election, it will be his second term. Even if he were to be impeached a day after he took the oath of office, he would not be eligible to take office for a third term.

I think he would also be ineligible due to the impeachment conviction, but it tickles me, so I'm sticking with it.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2024, 06:30:47 PM »
But you know within 5 minutes, if that long, of Trump taking the oath the dems will be calling for an impeachment vote. Rinse / repeat every other Tues there after.
This is assuming someone wearing a bomb vest doesn't take him out first. You know, for democracy
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2024, 07:13:36 PM »
This is assuming someone wearing a bomb vest doesn't take him out first. You know, for democracy

You know, we had that one moron set himself on fire for Palestine, so as much as we might have joked about the wacky lefty extremists and their noodle-armed "we'll kill all the MAGA extremists in combat" army, I have to say that the possibility of an American suicide bomber is not tinfoily anymore. They have lost their minds with the TDS and "We'll become a dystopian state on 21JAN" crap.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2024, 07:20:15 PM »
You know, we had that one moron set himself on fire for Palestine, so as much as we might have joked about the wacky lefty extremists and their noodle-armed "we'll kill all the MAGA extremists in combat" army, I have to say that the possibility of an American suicide bomber is not tinfoily anymore. They have lost their minds with the TDS and "We'll become a dystopian state on 21JAN" crap.

I wasn't joking, I think it's a very real possibility nowadays for the very reason you gave and I have almost no doubt they could find plenty of volunteers ready and willing to do it to save, in their minds, America from Hitler.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2024, 08:54:42 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2024, 09:53:46 PM »
Yep
what the 22nd says

No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once

That's why LBJ was eligible to run in 1968 (he declined to do so) but Trump would not be if elected in 2024 and then removed from office

Weird thought here:  The Evil Party could sabotage Trump this time around by admitting that he was in fact elected last time, and only lost it due to chicanery.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2024, 10:37:49 PM »
But you know within 5 minutes, if that long, of Trump taking the oath the dems will be calling for an impeachment vote. Rinse / repeat every other Tues there after.
Dems are already planning for another Trump impeachment, I'm sure.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2024, 10:42:13 PM »
I wasn't joking, I think it's a very real possibility nowadays for the very reason you gave and I have almost no doubt they could find plenty of volunteers ready and willing to do it to save, in their minds, America from Hitler.

And right on cue

New Republic Cover Image Portrays Trump As Literally Hitler
https://twitchy.com/amy/2024/07/07/new-republic-cover-image-portrays-trump-as-literally-hitler-n2398094

https://x.com/newrepublic/status/1810009748697448541

- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2024, 10:59:00 PM »
When your opponent is Hitler you can justify any amount of electoral shenanigans. Kinda like 2020.

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • We NEED a President with his good luck!
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2024, 03:41:44 AM »

Weird thought here:  The Evil Party could sabotage Trump this time around by admitting that he was in fact elected last time, and only lost it due to [their own] chicanery.

:rofl: !

Oh, the complexications!  Almost like a good mystery novel.

I ain't countin' no chickens, but I am wondering what a second Trump term might be like. I guess the rest of us are, too, so here's a thread for speculation.

A big problem with his first term (if I remember correctly) was that a lot of Republicans that might normally have staffed a presidential administration refused to be involved. I think that's how we ended up with the Scaramucci incident. It seems the party is much less divided now, so that wouldn't be so much of a problem. Maybe he could be more effective a second time around, even if he'll be a lame duck half the time.

It's pleasant to speculate that all the Republicans in name only might suddenly start thinking, "Gee, maybe there's some election appeal to his premises that I ought to start following."

And maybe some Dems, too.

...and they lived happily ever after.

I wouldn't mind seeing another semiconservative Justice on the Bigass Court appointed.  Who can read the English Language.

And who isn't too scaredy-cat to offer opinions beyond the immediate very narrow restrictions of the cases they have to examine.

Like the whole of the "tax measure" of NFA 34 being a falsely-based reprehensible affront and insult to our Constitutional principles.

Like f'r instance the $2,800.00 tax stamp to own a silencer / suppressor.

Just f'r instance.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: July 08, 2024, 04:43:35 AM by 230RN »
Sooner or later, law output will become greater than Court input.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2024, 06:57:54 AM »
When your opponent is Hitler you can justify any amount of electoral shenanigans. Kinda like 2020.

I got a feeling we ain't seen nothing yet.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2024, 11:44:34 AM »
I've heard someone speculate that "they" are more than happy to let Trump inherit Joe's mess for 4 years, and take the blame for it. I don't know if the propaganda machine can really make people forget how badly Joe mangled things, vs Trump's relative (or absolute) competence. Then again...

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2024, 11:47:28 AM »
I've heard someone speculate that "they" are more than happy to let Trump inherit Joe's mess for 4 years, and take the blame for it. I don't know if the propaganda machine can really make people forget how badly Joe mangled things, vs Trump's relative (or absolute) competence. Then again...

90% of the MSM will happily play along and most of their audience have the memory of a goldfish
- Calvin and Hobbes

JN01

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2024, 06:01:11 PM »
With a Republican in the White House, Antifa, BLM, and the Hamas gang will resume burning down American cities.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2024, 06:06:29 PM »
With a Republican in the White House, Antifa, BLM, and the Hamas gang will resume burning down American cities resume peacefully expressing their ideas for the benefit of all.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2024, 06:10:33 PM »
With a Republican in the White House, Antifa, BLM, and the Hamas gang will resume burning down American cities resume mostly peacefully expressing their ideas for the benefit of all.

FIFY
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2024, 07:12:36 PM »
More real news from The Bee

Dems Announce Comprehensive Plan To Win Election By Calling Trump 'Hitler' Again
https://babylonbee.com/news/dems-announce-comprehensive-plan-to-win-election-by-calling-trump-hitler-again
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2024, 08:16:33 PM »
I saw Trump tacitly and indirectly admit to a problem in his 1st administration by saying that now, in a SECOND administration, he "knows who the good people are" and that he'll be making the RIGHT appointments this time.

As always - we'll see about that. But there's reason for optimism. Cautious optimism, of course . . . but optimism nonetheless.

I've had none whatsoever for the current administration.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2024, 09:20:42 PM »
Hopefully if he is elected, and has a majority in the House and the Senate they get stuff done while they can.  They missed opportunities the first time.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2024, 01:50:43 AM »
Hopefully if he is elected, and has a majority in the House and the Senate they get stuff done while they can.  They missed opportunities the first time.

The Stupid Party's track record makes this highly unlikely.  And I'm being generous.
Formerly sumpnz