Author Topic: Field trip to restaurant supply store  (Read 2148 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Field trip to restaurant supply store
« on: August 03, 2022, 04:40:53 PM »
I picked up some plastic forks, splenda, and some burger/omelet cheese... I'm gonna need a bigger freezer... Next trip is going to be sausage and bacon...

https://www.restaurantdepot.com/docs/default-source/regional-flyers/rd---august-2022/midwest_aug22.pdf?sfvrsn=a6652db1_4

Forks are serviceable, and are disposable anyway... The sweetener was under 1/2 the price of Aldi's version. We'll see if the cheese is okay...

They say "restaurants only," but they'll take anyone's money.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Field trip to restaurant supply store
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 07:15:34 PM »
Wow. Every restaurant supply store I've been to is only non-food goods -- utensils, kitchen equipment, appliances, paper goods, etc.

The food service wholesalers take care of the edible supplies.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 07:22:42 PM »
Holy crap. If I lived near there I'd do all of my shopping there.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 08:55:12 PM »
This is another few miles, in Maplewood. They are more "not-a-restaurant" friendly, but there is not the huge selection either.

https://gfsstore.com/?dsr_id=MP185
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 06:48:59 AM »
Their prices aren't great, either.

I can get the Rao's pasta sauce (which is a VERY GOOD pasta sauce) at my local grocery for $8 and change, or I could go to the local warehouse store and get it for $5 and change.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 10:22:13 AM »
Some of the stuff they are pretty good on. Other, I suspect that they are more selling convenience. The Depot place has a HUGE meat section. Next trip is stuff like sausage...
Blog under construction

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2022, 03:30:07 PM »
Their prices aren't great, either.

I can get the Rao's pasta sauce (which is a VERY GOOD pasta sauce) at my local grocery for $8 and change, or I could go to the local warehouse store and get it for $5 and change.

Yeah, I am addicted to $8 pasta sauce. Tried Michaels of New York brand and it was good but even more expensive. Wish I could make my own as good, but I cannot.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2022, 07:00:19 PM »
Restaurant Depot doesn't require being in the food business anymore?  I used to have a membership because my school was a 503something and I taught cooking skills in my Montessori class.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2022, 09:46:22 PM »
They signs say so, but they seem to like money...
Blog under construction

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2022, 01:46:15 PM »
They signs say so, but they seem to like money...
Sort of like Grainger for industrial tools and components - they say they sell to "companies" (and they do) but I've never had them turn down my money.

Some of the prices at the restaurantdepot look pretty good . . . others don't beat local supermarkets, especially during a sale.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain