Author Topic: Facebook Marketplace question?  (Read 572 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Facebook Marketplace question?
« on: August 08, 2022, 01:02:15 AM »
Just glanced at it... Saw a harley with a $1,000 price, and a zero turn mower for $800... WTF? Just trying to dodge some sort of listing charge?
Blog under construction

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Facebook Marketplace question?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 04:38:57 AM »
Not a listing dodge but a good old scam. They yank photos from legit listings, put a false listing up and when you contact them do one of the various scams such as the “I’m out of town, send a money order” type scan.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 05:56:27 AM »
Or a pissed off soon to be ex wife…
What we have here is failure to communicate.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 06:25:48 AM »
For some reason the popular prices are 800, 1000, and 1200.

1. Price too good to be true.
2. Check sellers other listings see exact same picture 100 times in different towns.
3. Fb likes to enable fraud so they made step 2 harder, so search on the listed item, see same pic in many places.
4. Scam. Always
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 07:08:50 AM »
Sounds legit to me! Send them cash! They'll mail you your mower!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 07:15:59 AM »
I’ve had good luck buying and selling on FK Marketplace in the bast.  Ya just need to be able to identify the scams vs real honest listings.

In the case of the Harley and mower, most likely a scam or they have serious issues and don’t work.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2022, 10:33:52 AM »
Regarding serious issues:

I know some folks who drive some seriously hooptie-looking vehicles, because they bought them used for stupid small amounts of cash, and then spent $100, and two weeks of evenings in the garage, to make them run again and pass inspection... One phrase you'll hear in car parts stores occasionally: "How much do you want for it?" I know a guy who has several Chevy Cobalts in his family which he has gotten that way...
Blog under construction

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2022, 11:59:27 AM »
Facebook marketplace is just as reputable as the platform that hosts it. The vetting of users and posting restrictions ensure the quality of listings.  <sarcasm>

One of the "customs" over there is to list things as Free when the seller wants a start a bidding war. The internal average has regressed way below the universal mean.

In my experience it is a legitimate trading platform with a few genuine bargains.  But if it looks too good to be true, it either is too good to be true or it already sold. 
7-11 was a part time job.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2022, 06:39:13 PM »
I will do business on there. But I have been buying and selling to strangers a long time. Gun forums like TFL were actually great training grounds for what a good transaction looks like. These days I am finding more reputable people on Craigslist than FB market if that says anything.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2022, 07:55:59 PM »
Just glanced at it... Saw a harley with a $1,000 price, and a zero turn mower for $800... WTF? Just trying to dodge some sort of listing charge?

I don't think I've ever come across a listing charge on FB.  I've bought and sold on it.

Much like Craigslist, the "price" in the subject line is often not the price the seller actually wants, it's just an attention grabber... or it's a scam listing.  Read the ad, find the real price, and look for a local area code.  Then make an intelligent decision on if you want to pursue the listing.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!