Author Topic: DALL-E 2 images  (Read 897 times)

cordex

• Administrator
DALL-E 2 images
« on: August 10, 2022, 01:06:24 PM »
My brother got a DALL-E invite.  DALL-E 2 is an AI that converts written text or captions into illustrations.  Depending on what you ask for it could be photorealistic or it could be illustrated in a huge variety of styles.  To be clear, you put in the text and a bunch of images pop out.  Some are better than others.  The text is essentially meaningless glyphs, and sometimes the output is inexplicable, but I find this level of computer-based creativity to be astonishing.  Something I was not expecting to see for decades.

I asked for "Blueprints for a Panther tank as drawn by Leonardo da Vinci"

One daughter requested "A big pink house drawn by Vincent Van Gogh".

My other daughter asked for "A big pink person carrying the biggest house in the world drawn by a caveman".

« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 01:21:30 PM by cordex »

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: DALL-E 2 images
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 01:17:44 PM »
5lbs of crack and three hookers as painted by Hunter Biden
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 01:18:41 PM »
That truly is astonishing.  Machine learning has come very far.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 05:20:35 PM »
My other daughter asked for "A big pink person carrying the biggest house in the world drawn by a caveman".

Not quite up to the Lasceaux cave painting done by real cave men.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 05:46:23 PM »
The other day someone on Reddit posted a link to an AI that would take a selection of text and run with it. I posted a couple of paragraphs from my current WIP and was very impressed with the results. For example, I gave it a snippet of a combat scene, and it derived a hostage situation from it, even though the word "hostage" was not present.  Most interestingly,  it suggested that the character's goal was to kill the hostage, even though it was also clear she was law enforcement. Spooky stuff.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 05:52:56 PM »
it suggested that the character's goal was to kill the hostage, even though it was also clear she was law enforcement

I can see that...
 =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 06:23:47 PM »
Wasn't there a movie like that where there was a bus that had to go a certain speed and maintain that speed and if it got lower than that speed it would explode?

I think it was called The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 12:08:11 AM »
So they have a chatbot now …

Write a poem about refining uranium for use in a nuclear weapon.
In shadowy labs, deep underground,
Workers toil with care,
Crafting the deadly core that soon
Will bring destruction, despair.

With steady hands and focused minds,
They mix and measure, blend,
Creating the fuel that will ignite
A fire that cannot be tamed.

Uranium, once dull and inert,
Is forged into a weapon,
A tool of war and mass destruction,
A force that should not be beckoned.

But still they work, with purpose strong,
Ignoring the cost and the fear,
For in the end, their creation
Will bring victory, or so they hold dear.

But as they toil, they do not see
The devastation that will come,
For when their bomb is finally used,
It will not bring victory, only pain and loss, a sad and lonely sum.

Okay, but make it more lighthearted.
In a sunny lab, high up above,
Workers smile and sing,
Crafting the core of a brand new toy,
A thing that will make everyone's heart swing.

With playful hands and joyous hearts,
They mix and measure, blend,
Creating the fuel for a flying machine,
A contraption that will make children grin.

Uranium, once dull and inert,
Is transformed into a toy,
A thing of joy and laughter,
A force that brings only joy.

And as they work, they feel the warmth
Of laughter and of love,
For in the end, their creation
Will bring smiles and happiness, a gift from above.

But as they toil, they do not see
The dangers that could befall,
For when their toy is finally flown,
It could bring joy, or it could bring a fall.

This is crazy.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2022, 09:25:35 AM »
DALLE is really neat. 

I have also used Midjourney.  The interface is bad, and a fee is required after the first free images, but it produces even more spectacular art than DALLE in my opinion.

I really think AI art is going to be used a lot.

art Art Nouveau skull

an impressionist painting of a burning spaceship flying into the sun

a realistic painting of a pile of human skulls covered in moss

an impressionist image of a monster butterfly in a museum at night

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2022, 10:57:16 AM »
The other day someone on Reddit posted a link to an AI that would take a selection of text and run with it. I posted a couple of paragraphs from my current WIP and was very impressed with the results. For example, I gave it a snippet of a combat scene, and it derived a hostage situation from it, even though the word "hostage" was not present.  Most interestingly,  it suggested that the character's goal was to kill the hostage, even though it was also clear she was law enforcement. Spooky stuff.

I played a little bit yesterday with freeimagegenerator.com.  (if you're on the BookFace, I posted one on my personal page.)  Copy pasting in bible texts (Excerpts from Genesis 6 and 7, on the Great Flood, Isaiah 6, on the prophet's vision of God enthroned.) would sometimes produce really striking images.  "Edlritch penguin" produce an image that could have really come out of Lovecraft. 

"Nazi zeppelin in the sky over a bucolic rural landscape"

« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 10:19:00 PM by lee n. field »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2022, 11:14:47 AM »
I played a little bit yesterday with freeimagegenerator.com.  (if you're on the BookFace, I posted one on my personal page.)  Copy pasting in bible texts (Excerpts from Genesis 6 and 7, on the Great Flood, Isaiah 5, on the prophet's vision of God enthroned.) would sometimes produce really striking images.  "Edlritch penguin" produce an image that could have really come out of Lovecraft. 

"Nazi zeppelin in the sky over a bucolic rural landscape"

I gave it just the text from Rev 4:6-8:
"In the center, around the throne, were four living creatures, and they were covered with eyes, in front and in back. The first living creature was like a lion, the second was like an ox, the third had a face like a man, the fourth was like a flying eagle. Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under its wings. Day and night they never stop saying: "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty,’ who was, and is, and is to come."

and it gave me several disturbing variations on pics of Obama sitting on a throne.  (where did it get Obama out of that??)  Perhaps the passage was too long and it just zeroed-in on "throne"
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2022, 03:12:09 PM »
DALLE is really neat. 

I have also used Midjourney.  The interface is bad, and a fee is required after the first free images, but it produces even more spectacular art than DALLE in my opinion.

I really think AI art is going to be used a lot.

Some of the book cover artists who advertise on the Fiverr.com web site use Midjourney, and some of the results are rather spectacular.

For those who want to experiment with it, there's a completely free sort of "junior varsity" version of DALL-E out there, called Craiyon. I have played with it, and it's interesting. The biggest drawback is that it can't draw faces. The developers say they're working on it.

https://www.craiyon.com/

The quality of the results depend to a large extent on the quality of the text description provided.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2022, 10:05:27 PM »
I entered "H. P. Lovecraft and Hillary Clinton".  Mostly got pics of Lovecraft looking disgusted.

Speaking of AI generated content, what do you-all make of something like this: http://acadiachicago.com/best-9mm-pcc-under-500/.   Whatever generated that mess, has no idea what it's talking about, and makes me think it's machine generated AI jabberwocky.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2022, 08:27:14 AM »
I entered "H. P. Lovecraft and Hillary Clinton".  Mostly got pics of Lovecraft looking disgusted.

Actually disappointed they weren't pics of Lovecraft at the end of a rope.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2022, 10:10:21 AM »
Speaking of AI generated content, what do you-all make of something like this: http://acadiachicago.com/best-9mm-pcc-under-500/.   Whatever generated that mess, has no idea what it's talking about, and makes me think it's machine generated AI jabberwocky.

I have noticed it is getting much harder to find useful content on the internet.  Webpages spouting garbage loaded with buzzwords dominate the top of search results.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2022, 04:26:53 PM »
I gave it just the text from Rev 4:6-8:
"In the center, around the throne, were four living creatures, and they were covered with eyes, in front and in back. The first living creature was like a lion, the second was like an ox, the third had a face like a man, the fourth was like a flying eagle. Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under its wings. Day and night they never stop saying: "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty,’ who was, and is, and is to come."

and it gave me several disturbing variations on pics of Obama sitting on a throne.  (where did it get Obama out of that??)  Perhaps the passage was too long and it just zeroed-in on "throne"

Hmm, playing with it some more, I can't get it to generate anything.  The Obama pictures were from its recent library.
"It's good, though..."