Author Topic: COVID-19 question  (Read 1717 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: COVID-19 question
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2022, 12:25:53 PM »
I still see a few people in masks.  I don't ask them why; it's none of my business.  I'll be taking my mom to a doctor appointment this afternoon, I plan to wear a mask while I'm there.
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2022, 12:29:42 PM »
Many states are still requiring everyone in a healthcare facility to mask up: employees, patients, and visitors.  We get tired of having to explain to people that state law still makes us do this.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2022, 01:24:43 PM »
A few weeks back, had a guy in the store, asked why we weren't wearing masks... He, of course, was... "We've had the damn shots, most of us have had to miss work because of it, and we're tired of the mess."

"Well, I just tested positive..."

I have to admit that I let my inner Karen out...

"WHY ARE YOU IN A CAR PARTS STORE? GET OUT! GO HOME!"

I suspect that he wasn't actually "positive," but instead wanted to show his virtue to the world...
Blog under construction

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2022, 01:41:00 PM »
I've more or less stopped wearing masks when out and about.

That said, I have to make a one day rocket run to Chicago this week.  I'm flying, and intend to wear a mask.  Not because oh no, I'll die from covid, or virtue signaling or whatever... I've just gotten sick from being on planes before, I really would like to avoid it if possible this time.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2022, 01:43:40 PM »
Just go full-face SCUBA.
Blog under construction

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2022, 01:48:54 PM »
Just go full-face SCUBA.
He'll suffocate.
Can't take a valved tank on a commercial flight
7-11 was a part time job.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2022, 01:53:59 PM »
He'll suffocate.
Can't take a valved tank on a commercial flight

I am almost surprised the airlines haven't offered some sort of mask and breathing air system that is filtered air.  Buy a mask/hose for the flight and hook it up to the filtered supplied air system on board.  They already have the little blower nozzle above your head.  Not sure what certifications they might need for the air system. 

Hung over?  Pay a little extra for added oxygen. 

I guess that would get the FDA to horn in on airline regulations if they offered breathing air. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2022, 02:30:14 PM »
Heh... It doesn't have to be specially filtered. It just has to say "filtered" and mention "may help possibly stop Covid-19," and the Covidians will leap for it.

Blog under construction

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2022, 02:33:56 PM »
That idea has merit. As long as a mask is single use (or passenger supplied) with a blowoff valve so sleepers don't kink the hose.  Or just a nose hose like my smokey uncle Al had.
Probably other concerns too, but I like it.

I am almost surprised the airlines haven't offered some sort of mask and breathing air system that is filtered air.  Buy a mask/hose for the flight and hook it up to the filtered supplied air system on board.  They already have the little blower nozzle above your head.  Not sure what certifications they might need for the air system. 

Hung over?  Pay a little extra for added oxygen. 

I guess that would get the FDA to horn in on airline regulations if they offered breathing air.
7-11 was a part time job.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2022, 02:49:21 PM »
That idea has merit. As long as a mask is single use (or passenger supplied) with a blowoff valve so sleepers don't kink the hose.  Or just a nose hose like my smokey uncle Al had.
Probably other concerns too, but I like it.
I think single use would be the only way to go with the masks.  I wouldn't want a used mask.  A less expensive disposable would be better.  With positive pressure supplied air, you don't need to seal 100%.  If it was single use, they could make sure it had some sort of backflow nozzle to prevent air going the other way if someone coughed or sneezed. 

The airlines would likely have to have someone clean every attachment point between flights. 

Not sure if this could be tied into the oxygen system cabin containment were lost.  It would also be a good way to put everyone to sleep if the had a langolier situation. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2022, 07:17:52 PM »
They don't have to sterilize everything.

They just have to say that they do.

You know, like your formerly 24 hour grocery store now spends the time between 10pm and 6am doing...
Blog under construction

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2022, 07:22:24 PM »
Any and all mods must be FAA approved PLUS such a system would be useless weight and expense.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2022, 07:32:13 PM »
Expense? The Covidians would PAY to use it...
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2022, 09:10:50 AM »
Any and all mods must be FAA approved PLUS such a system would be useless weight and expense.
They already have an onboard air system and already have those blower nozzles at every seat.  Yes, it is an extra, but probably no more than a lot of other luxury stuff they have.  I don't expect something like this any time soon. 

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2022, 09:15:59 AM »
The cabin air on a passenger aircraft is already pretty dang filtered, and changed out every couple minutes. 

I can't imagine that people that balked at cloth masks on airplanes will gladly line up to have super dry cabin air fed into their faces.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2022, 09:30:01 AM »
The cabin air on a passenger aircraft is already pretty dang filtered, and changed out every couple minutes. 

I can't imagine that people that balked at cloth masks on airplanes will gladly line up to have super dry cabin air fed into their faces.
Supplied air masks are much easier to breath in than passive masks where you have to suck the air through the mask.

I doubt it would get a lot of takers right away.  Just thinking it would be better than everyone wearing cloth masks.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2022, 10:44:57 AM »
The people who want everyone to wear masks, and who still point horrified fingers at others about that, will PAY to do it...
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2022, 10:50:57 AM »
The people who want everyone to wear masks, and who still point horrified fingers at others about that, will PAY to do it...

I doubt it, I'm pretty sure those are the same aholes that bring everything they own on vacation, refuse to pay baggage fees, and then try and stuff their oversized duffle bag in an overhead compartment, while loudly proclaiming it's a "personal item".  They won't pay for it, they'll cry that it isn't both free and required.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2022, 10:56:19 AM »
Ah, but the Branch Covidians want _safety_. Or at least the illusion...

They're still wearing masks. And a bunch of 'em still do the 6' dance... I've seen one of them throwing stuff on the conveyor at a grocery, to avoid getting near it... Saw another at the same grocery wiping down the self-checkout...
Blog under construction