Author Topic: Boars vs humans  (Read 793 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Boars vs humans
« on: August 15, 2022, 08:08:07 AM »
The boars are pretty aggressive.

Canned hunt gone sideways?

https://killtv.me/inmate/10902/
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Boars vs humans
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 09:43:28 AM »
That looks like fun. Target rich environment.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 09:45:53 AM »
Looks & sounds like there was a whole lot more shooting than hitting going on - "spray and pray" technique.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 09:51:44 AM »
I didn't know hunting was that exciting!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 09:56:46 AM »
Looks like the person holding the camera is in the line of fire.  Were they unarmed?  I wasn't sure if it was a good idea for them to spread out like that. 

Was this a situation where it was winter with not a lot of food and hungry hogs or were there just a lot of hogs and they were being aggressive?  I recall local hunter telling me years ago he was treed by a group of hogs.  It has gotten dark and they would pull back every time he tried to use a light to spot them.   He ended up waiting a couple hours before leaving.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 09:57:25 AM »
Thanks for posting the video.  I saw it come across Instagram, but couldn't find a better link.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2022, 10:42:42 AM »
I had a similar experience in Georgia back in the late 90’s, but with only 4 hogs, not as many as they had to tend with.

Mine involved walking up out of a swamp during bow season as light faded.  Met a boar head on as they were heading into the swamp on the same trail I was coming out of.  Glad I had my G20 on me as I knocked him down but the other 3 didn’t appreciate it and came right at me.  Decided skirting up a tree was the better option to get above them and it worked.  They decided to head out so I gathered my gear and their friend and headed to the truck.  Needless to say, no deer that day but had some good pork for the freezer.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2022, 08:23:47 AM »
How's it feel being the prey?

:rofl:

THIS VIDEO IS DEAD
R.I.P. August 15, 2022

But from long-term casual watching the hog situation, they're a real problem in some areas.   No or few natural predators.

Last I looked, they're now established near the mid-eastern border of Colorado.

Keeping an eye on it out of curiosity.  Can't do anything about it, though.

The do-gooders were talking about reintroducing wolves in Colorado.  Maybe they should bring them in to the eastern border.

Oh, the ranchers love all this.  I wonder if they'll establish a bounty on  either of those critters.  Twenty five bucks for two ears, like for coyotes.

Just for grins since the OP's video is dead:

https://youtu.be/89UliEiQQyU (13:36)

I feel bad that they aren't picking up their brass and are just littering the landscape with it. :rofl:

How and why:

https://lastshadow.com/aerial-hog-hunting/

Last Shadow provides you with the opportunity to help Texas farmers through a thrilling and unique hunting experience. Heli(copter) hog hunting is part of the great state of Texas’ hog depredation program. More than two million feral hogs roam free in Texas, infesting 99% of the state’s counties. They wreak havoc on the native plant and animal populations as well as the land and cause more than $50 million in damage to the state’s farming industry every year.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 09:02:52 AM by 230RN »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2022, 12:19:26 PM »
If people stopped shooting all the coyotes, maybe they would go after the baby hogs.  Or just go after easier prey like all the small dogs in back yards.

People want to get close to nature, but don't want to be part of nature.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2022, 04:00:06 PM »
If people stopped shooting all the coyotes, maybe they would go after the baby hogs.  Or just go after easier prey like all the small dogs in back yards.

People want to get close to nature, but don't want to be part of nature.
We've got coyotes in my area - I've SEEN them recently. But they're not doing their job right since people still let their damn cats run around loose. (Although they DO "disappear" a few from time to time.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2022, 05:34:21 PM »
Well, face it.

There is no longer a "balance" of nature.

We are heading toward a planet full of nothing living but humans, their pets, cattle, sheep, pigs, fish, and the plant fodder to feed them all.

Nothing else.  Well, trees for lumber. Oh, and plankton for oxygen.

But nothing else.

Oh, and yeast for alcohol generation.

But nada, null, zip for anything else.

Terry, Professional Bleakster, 230RN

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2022, 08:18:51 PM »
Hogs can be pretty aggressive.  I've had some close calls with hog groups hiking in FL. Mostly my dogs make enough fuss that they leave but I've had a couple hog groups that were aggressive enough I drew my gun, and once I popped a warning shot.  Usually the larger the group, the more likely they are to be aggressive.

Funny story: On one hike I thought I had spooked a hogzilla.  HUGE crashing in the trees coming right for us on the trail. Just as I was contemplating if I had enough ammo for this, a lost cow burst out of the underbrush and ran down the trail. It had apparently been sleeping and we will it up.

*Edited for typo and clarity*
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 01:19:29 PM by dogmush »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2022, 08:26:11 PM »
but I've had a couple hog groups that were aggressive enough I put my gun in their hand,

This is all we need - people arming wild hogs.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2022, 10:39:05 PM »
This is all we need - people arming wild hogs.
I had to reread that part also.   :rofl:    [ar15]

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2022, 01:18:00 PM »
Gotta keep it sporting :D