Author Topic: heating up the carry lawsuits, it is getting interesting  (Read 562 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: heating up the carry lawsuits, it is getting interesting
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 11:58:04 PM »
What's the TL;DR version?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 12:09:53 AM »

We use to have a policy against “drive by” postings.  Not that I object to the topic, but some kind of commentary would be nice.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 01:12:46 AM »

well, most of us imagine that it will be yrs of lawsuits, but there already has been yrs of lawsuits - culminating in Bruen.
The 9th wants to drag its feet in the Young case - discovering it really can't, same with CA , same with ATF ... imo a yr or two tops national reciprocity in places like CA/NY/NJ and constitutional carry most places 
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2022, 01:50:39 AM »
well, most of us imagine that it will be yrs of lawsuits, but there already has been yrs of lawsuits - culminating in Bruen.
The 9th wants to drag its feet in the Young case - discovering it really can't, same with CA , same with ATF ... imo a yr or two tops national reciprocity in places like CA/NY/NJ and constitutional carry most places

What is the Young case? And how is the Ninth Circuit dragging its feet in the Young case?

What does the Ninth Circuit have to do with New York and New Jersey?

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2022, 12:03:55 PM »
Yes, I don't want to watch a nine minute video.  What is happening?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2022, 01:27:34 PM »
Thanks to The Firing Line, I found the actual document for Young:
http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2022/08/19/12-17808.pdf

Young is a case out of Hawaii that challenges Hawaii's "may issue" [but generally won't] carry permitting system. Since it is a law similar to the New York "may issue" law that was recently struck down by the Supreme Court, Young had been on hold pending a decision in the NYSRPA v. Bruen case. In the wake of Bruen, the SCOTUS bounced the case back down to the Nirth Circuit to be reevaluated using the criteria established by NYSRPA.

Apparently rather than decide the case themselves on that basis, the Ninth Circuit decided to kick the can back to the district court to be re-decided -- using the criteria established under NYSRPA. Whether this is a delaying tactic or good jurisprudence depends, I suppose, on one's perspective.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2022, 04:44:15 PM »
 Young himself used to be a frequent contributor on cal-guns and other forums.
 I thought most of "us" were up to date on the lawsuits for "our" side.
Legally, we have been prevailing .

I'll make an effort to resist the urge to drive by, sorry guys