Author Topic: Cancelled My Newspaper  (Read 518 times)

HankB

• friend
Cancelled My Newspaper
« on: August 22, 2022, 02:05:23 PM »
Well, after a good 25 years of subscribing, I finally cancelled my subscription to the Austin American-Statesman newspaper.

This decision was a long time coming - inertia, I guess - but their shady shenanigans finally got to be too much, and I decided I'd had enough. Some aggravations were tiny, others larger, but cumulatively they made it clear they didn't want me as a subscriber so I unsubscribed.

1. I subscribed for 7 days a week. After they got my last check, they discontinued delivery on Saturday and holidays, and "compensated" subscribers by offering additional on-line access. Nope - that's NOT what I paid for. Can you say "Swindle?"
2. Delivery used to be reliably before 6 AM. They moved printing from Austin to San Antonio so now I was lucky if I got it before 8 AM. Or at all.
3. They showed diversity of views by running editorials "From the left" and "From the right" both of which usually had people bashing Trump and those who voted for him.
4. They banished Mallard Filmore comics to the sport section as being too political, but kept Doonesbury on the comic page. Then Mallard disappeared entirely.
5. They wanted to go entirely to on-line billing, and were charging an extra $5 "paper billing fee" to send me a bill for subscription renewal.
6. They put an anti-gun editorial by a Hollywood actor AS THE HEADLINE ON THE FRONT PAGE after Uvalde. Sure they put an "OPINION" label on it - but still - at the top of the front page?
7. In stories about race, they capitalize Black but not White and make cockamamie excuses about this not being racist.
8. Letters to the editor are carefully culled to make it look as if the overwhelming majority of Texans are flaming leftists.

Could go on, but this rag is no good for anything other than wrapping garbage. My only regret is that I didn't cancel a long time ago, but I put that down to inertia.

I'll close with a saying some people attribute to Mark Twain: "If you don’t read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Cancelled My Newspaper
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 11:52:53 AM »
Congratulations.

I gave up on the local bird cage liners years ago. In short order the price for the daily edition went from 25 cents to 50 cents to 75 cents and then up to a buck. At the same time, the newspaper shrank from four sections to three and then to two -- and about 80% of what was left was advertising, not news.

Their web site is a joke. The home page will feature articles that are weeks, if not months, old. They don't do any editing any more. Most of the reporters are freelance or part-time stringers who work out of their homes and submit their articles remotely. The paper just prints them as submitted -- there's basically no editorial oversight, other than perhaps trimming to fit the articles in between the ads.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 03:14:19 PM »
I used to pick up a copy of my small town weekly rag when I'd go to work on Thursday nights, in no small part to get a copy of the local farm store weekly sales flier.
The owner of the paper went on a 1/2 page rant against open carry and offered free "No Guns" signs to all the local businesses.  Her husband is a big gun guy, probably has 3× as many guns as I do and I knew he open  carried all the time. Laws for us peons buy not for her and hers.
Haven't bought a copy since.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 03:24:06 PM »
The Austin American-Statesman sounds suspiciously like the Idaho Statesman, which I subscribed to for like my first three weeks in Idaho before I couldn't take it anymore, then it took a couple of months to actually have the cancelation go through.

I was absolutely shocked at how lefty it was - more so than any California paper. It is owned by McClatchey. I see that the Austin American-Statesman is owned by Gannett. I suppose they just do what their big city blue state masters tell them to do. It's kinda sad that "local" newspapers are no long really local.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

griz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 03:45:37 PM »
My local paper used to actually be local.  They had reporters who traveled in the area and wrote about local stuff.  Despite their leftist slant, I would probably get it if they still did that, but now it's combined with the neighboring city's paper and all the news is just from news services and the local TV stations.  Sad, but papers are well on their way to obsolescence.

Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2022, 07:03:38 AM »
I am SO glad that I didn't stay in print journalism.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2022, 12:17:27 PM »
Ha! Got a letter from them offering me a discount if I resubscribed for 3 months and signed up for automatic credit card charges . . . but if I want to be billed, it will cost me $10 more.  :rofl:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2022, 02:56:45 PM »
Ha! Got a letter from them offering me a discount if I resubscribed for 3 months and signed up for automatic credit card charges . . . but if I want to be billed, it will cost me $10 more.  :rofl:

Got a similar offer from Verizon for home Internet. The offer purports to be able to provide home Internet for about 2/3 of what cable Internet is costing me -- but the speed would be less, and the offer requires signing up for auto-pay. I don't do auto-pay, so that's a non-starter out of the gate.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design