Author Topic: Don't think Brandon is raising your taxes?  (Read 2504 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Don't think Brandon is raising your taxes?
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2022, 08:58:43 AM »
Facebook removes House republican's posts on FB criticizing the plan and about paying back your loans for violating FB community standards

'Big Tech's at It Again': House GOP's Post About Student Loan 'Forgiveness' Plan Gets Censored
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2022/08/25/big-techs-at-it-again-house-gop-shares-their-post-about-student-loan-forgiveness-plan-that-got-censored-n2612222
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2022, 10:14:30 AM »
Oh, don't kid yourself.

There's been a growing undercurrent of discontent among a lot of Biden's support groups because he wasn't living up to his promises.

Those disaffected liberals were prime candidates for staying home and simply not voting.

This will help energize them to vote.

Ummm.  That’s what I said.

WLJ

• friends
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2022, 10:37:02 AM »
This will at least triple, guaranteed.

Especially after you figure in the usual dem handling charge.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2022, 11:50:37 AM »
They're just addressing the financial harms of the COVID-19 pandemic under the pretense of following the Heroes Act

As it turns out, the legal basis Biden is using for his plan comes after the general counsel for the Department of Education "determined that the Higher Education Relief Opportunities for Students (“HEROES”) Act of 2003 grants the Secretary authority that could be used to effectuate a program of targeted loan cancellation directed at addressing the financial harms of the COVID-19 pandemic."

The HEROES Act is a 2003 law passed by Congress as part of America's response to the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 in order to provide federal student loan payment relief for American service members fighting in the Global War on Terror.

I've had financial harm because of C19 So where's my $20,000?
This is a *expletive deleted*ing big rabbit hole they want to go down.

Infuriating: Here's What Biden Is Using to Justify His Student Debt Plan
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/spencerbrown/2022/08/25/legal-basis-for-bidens-loan-debacle-n2612211
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2022, 03:55:53 PM »
My motorcycle payment identifies as a student loan.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2022, 05:58:54 PM »
Well, hooray I guess. They can go on vacation now:

WASHINGTON, Aug 25 (Reuters) - Americans bearing heavy college debt loads welcomed U.S. President Joe Biden's announcement on Wednesday that he would forgive $10,000 in student loans, and some shared hopes they can jettison extra work hours and perhaps take a vacation or return to school.

"I would not have second thoughts when planning a trip or going on a vacation," said John Paul, 49, a restaurant manager in Washington DC who said he took out loans for his son's tuition.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-student-loan-forgiveness-has-borrowers-hoping-vacations-medical-school-2022-08-25/?taid=63077f3c70c2360001ba4f46&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2022, 09:15:12 PM »
Interesting rebuttal by the White House. Any dems mentioned?

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/08/25/petty-the-official-white-house-twitter-account-is-outing-members-of-congress-who-took-ppp-loans/

I've asked several times on twitter for a democrat list but I don't seem to get an answer.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2022, 09:57:17 PM »
 :rofl:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2022, 02:29:08 AM »
We moved in with my wife's aunt because of the rise, and CONTINUED rise, in food and fuel. Where's OUR relief? My VA disability and Social Security Disability dang sure didn't rise to meet inflation!
:old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2022, 05:08:57 AM »
We moved in with my wife's aunt because of the rise, and CONTINUED rise, in food and fuel. Where's OUR relief? My VA disability and Social Security Disability dang sure didn't rise to meet inflation!
:old:

I make $28.75 hourly. I figure with the twin factors of inflation and rise in costs due to COVID my raises have been effectively washed back several years to when I was making $5 an hour less.

And I’m in discussions with a large construction company to make $35-40/hr but I don’t know if it’s going to make any difference to take it and probably will actually make me come out worse due to the fact I’d have to sell my $100k house and buy in a $250-300k house area, probably doubling to tripling my mortgage payment.

I don’t see how the hell anyone that is living on a severely reduced income like SS or a modest retirement that would have been decent back a decade ago is making it.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2022, 08:21:44 AM »
Good response to rabid moron Elizabeth Warren:

You made $430,000 lecturing at Harvard & have the nerve to question why college  costs $12,000 today?

https://twitchy.com/fuzzychimp-313137/2022/08/26/chief-clowny-elizabeth-warren-steps-on-hypocrisy-rake-while-lecturing-mcconnell-on-student-loans/

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2022, 08:20:11 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2022, 09:00:46 AM »
Great ad on student bailout by American Action Network.  :rofl:

https://youtu.be/GEA72wFG6o4

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2022, 08:16:58 AM »
Not being on twitter, I don't really know how "replies" work ( I actually don't know what "DM" means), but it appears Brandon's White millennial staff are posting fake replies to his twitter account:

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/09/03/bidens-potus-account-shares-grateful-dm-and-for-some-reason-people-are-not-buying-it/

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2022, 10:30:44 AM »
Not being on twitter, I don't really know how "replies" work ( I actually don't know what "DM" means), but it appears Brandon's White millennial staff are posting fake replies to his twitter account:

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/09/03/bidens-potus-account-shares-grateful-dm-and-for-some-reason-people-are-not-buying-it/

Methinks someone trolled Biden's account with that direct message.  And Biden (more likely one of his social media handlers with a gender studies degree) fell for the troll.
I am not a twatter user, but I do not believe DMs are supposed to show up in the regular twatter thread, unless the user deliberately copies them over.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2022, 12:43:26 PM »
Methinks someone trolled Biden's account with that direct message.  And Biden (more likely one of his social media handlers with a gender studies degree) fell for the troll.
I am not a twatter user, but I do not believe DMs are supposed to show up in the regular twatter thread, unless the user deliberately copies them over.

The problem with the troll theory is that @POTUS is a proteected account and only allows DM's from accounts that he is following.  So if that were a real DM, then it would have had to come from one of 12 people.  https://twitter.com/POTUS/following

More likely someone made it up whole cloth and posted it to the account not realizing that any rando can't slide into POTUS's DMs. 

Or Kamala did it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2022, 08:41:08 AM »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2022, 12:56:37 PM »
"Millions of Americans over 50"

So why haven't these losers paid off their loans? One of the big talking points is how much more school costs now than it did 25 years ago, when these "over 50s" were in school. Why is it taking them 30 years to pay off student loans from when tuition was "25% of what it is now"?

I mean, I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone here who might be in this position, but it's just astounding to me that people take longer to pay off $30K-$50K in student loans than it takes them to pay off a house.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/09/05/cnn-tries-to-stir-up-sympathy-for-the-millions-of-americans-over-50-who-just-as-irresponsible-as-young-student-loan-borrowers/

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2022, 04:07:47 PM »
A fair percentage of the over 50 student loan holders may be parents that signed on to the loans.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2022, 04:29:42 PM »
A fair percentage of the over 50 student loan holders may be parents that signed on to the loans.

I'm sure there are, and CNN mentions that later in the article.  But they opened up with this moving story:

If it weren't for her student loan debt, Lark Abelson would already be retired.

The 63-year-old took out $5,000 in loans more than 20 years ago to get an associate degree in computer technology from Wor-Wic Community College in Maryland to try to make a better life for herself and her younger daughter. But she wasn't able to find work in the field and remained in low-paying retail jobs that prevented her from paying back the debt. After enrolling in income-driven repayment plans several times, she went into default a few years ago.

Abelson, who lives outside of Ocean City, Maryland, was afraid to quit her job and rely on Social Security because the federal government can withhold part of her monthly checks to repay the debt.

But the federal student loan debt relief plan that President Joe Biden announced in late August has given Abelson new hope. Though she hasn't checked her balance lately, she thinks it will wipe out what she owes. She's already asked to be notified when she can apply for forgiveness and has taken the first step toward signing up for Social Security benefits.

"Because I know this is coming through, I actually started the process of claiming Social Security the day after Biden announced it," Abelson said of the debt relief plan. "I am more than grateful."

Thank goodness the fed.gov has given this woman some money to pay off a debt that she doesn't even know the balance of so that she can get more government money free from any attempts to recoup her debt.  My heartstrings remain resolutely unplucked.

Not to mention that I checked interest rates 20 years ago and they were at 8%.  Her payment was $60 a month, and it would have been paid off a decade ago.  It sucks that she couldn't find a job with whatever BS Tech cert she paid for, but come on.  $60 a month?  They should dock her SS check.  Or her income tax returns.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2022, 08:43:57 PM »
I'm guessing that her comp sci degree was one of those with absolutely no skills involved.

I took ONE computer class in college. I thought it might be important. It was in 1986.

The teacher, who was some sort of snooty tenure monster, announced the first day of class that personal computers were a fad, and that people would forever need to log onto mainframes for anything serious.

That was about 15 minutes into the first day's meeting.

I stood up, told him he was an idiot, and immediately dropped the course. Along with several other folks.

FWIW, my father was one of the guys who started one of the first software companies - but back then it was decks and decks of punch cards.

www.cincom.com
Blog under construction

HankB

• friend
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2022, 08:45:31 AM »
I'm sure there are, and CNN mentions that later in the article.  But they opened up with this moving story:

Thank goodness the fed.gov has given this woman some money to pay off a debt that she doesn't even know the balance of so that she can get more government money free from any attempts to recoup her debt.  My heartstrings remain resolutely unplucked.

Not to mention that I checked interest rates 20 years ago and they were at 8%.  Her payment was $60 a month, and it would have been paid off a decade ago.  It sucks that she couldn't find a job with whatever BS Tech cert she paid for, but come on.  $60 a month?  They should dock her SS check.  Or her income tax returns.
I agree.

And I can't help but wonder if while she couldn't come up with $60 a month for her debt, whether or not she still could still find money for beer, cigarettes, and cable TV.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain