Author Topic: Civil Asset Forfeiture News  (Read 2172 times)

sumpnz

• friend
Civil Asset Forfeiture News
« on: August 26, 2022, 12:18:50 PM »
https://youtu.be/4TPVtpkb7ik

4th Circuit apparently rules that the government must prove their case, rather than the victim proving their innocence, in a civil asset forfeiture case.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Civil Asset Forfeiture News
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 12:23:24 PM »
Good news if it's both upheld and also followed by local LE.

I guess at this point it's an old guy thing, but I continue to be amazed at how many people's retort is, "Why are you carrying cash around?"
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 01:03:09 PM »
I just watched that video, and I came here to post about it. You beat me to it.

It's an encouraging decision. I wonder if the state of North Carolina (or the police department involved) will appeal to the Supreme Court. IMHO, it's shocking that the Supreme Court could ever have even indirectly approved the concept of civil asset forfeiture in the absence of a criminal conviction. It makes a mockery out of the constitutional principle of innocent until proven guilty.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 01:07:04 PM »
I just watched that video, and I came here to post about it. You beat me to it.

It's an encouraging decision. I wonder if the state of North Carolina (or the police department involved) will appeal to the Supreme Court. IMHO, it's shocking that the Supreme Court could ever have even indirectly approved the concept of civil asset forfeiture in the absence of a criminal conviction. It makes a mockery out of the constitutional principle of innocent until proven guilty.

I hope they do appeal to SCOTUS.  The Thomas/Gorsuch/Alito/Barrett/Kavanaugh wing will likely rule that forfeiture requires a conviction. 

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 01:08:18 PM »
I would NOT have counted on Scalia to rule that way however.  And definitely not Kennedy either. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 01:44:01 PM »
I hope they do appeal to SCOTUS.  The Thomas/Gorsuch/Alito/Barrett/Kavanaugh wing will likely rule that forfeiture requires a conviction.
This is one of those law enforcement areas where I am not so sure what the outcome will be.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 04:50:47 PM »
Would be nice to have CAF spanked hard. It was ripe for abuse when it began and it's only gotten worse over time.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2022, 07:40:06 PM »
I worry even our current SCOTUS will pull a two different jurisdictions thing like they do with double jeopardy. Kavenaugh especially was not worth the mess to get him confirmed. Though I get why pulling him from the confirmation process wouldn’t have been the right decision either.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2023, 10:50:55 PM »
Thread necro:

Dea up to shenanigans seizing money from travelers in Atlanta.

I’m surprised there haven’t been leo's participating in these things swinging from lampposts.

https://youtu.be/G3P6G1WkRtY?si=f5mYoAM14SwdE6ZU

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2023, 09:15:21 AM »
. . . I’m surprised there haven’t been leo's participating in these things swinging from lampposts . . .
They just haven't helped themselves to John Wick's stuff.

Yet.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2023, 05:41:21 PM »
Necro because Indiana State Supreme Court has ruled Hoosier State residents have the right to trial by jury in Civil Asset Forfeiture cases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFmq_DQfZQ4

Definitely a step in the right direction, but not nearly enough. Now if we could just get Congress off its ass to pass a law that CAF is straight up illegal in cases with no conviction...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2023, 07:20:43 PM »
I thought the seized asset itself, through some crazy twist of the law, was the actual criminal in custody, but could not defend itself and be found guilty or innocent since, well, it was not a person.

Did I misunderstand that? 

? ? ?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2023, 10:42:40 PM »
Iirc, the liberal Michigan Supreme Court a few years ago ruled CAF Constitutional based on some high seas maritime practice in the 1700s.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2023, 09:09:38 AM »
^ Yes, that's ringing a bell for me.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2023, 09:12:07 PM »
Iirc, the liberal Michigan Supreme Court a few years ago ruled CAF Constitutional based on some high seas maritime practice in the 1700s.
Was there an American flag with a gold fringe in the courtroom?  [tinfoil]   :rofl:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain