Author Topic: Pelosi's Drunk Husband  (Read 2513 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Pelosi's Drunk Husband
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2022, 12:43:21 PM »
Or lie on a 4473

"We don't have time for that."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2022, 02:23:41 PM »
LOL.

I bet all congressmen do this, R or D.

That is one reason they mostly end up so stinking rich.

If I understand it correctly, insider trading is legal for congress critters, but not legal for us peons.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2022, 03:35:58 PM »
If I understand it correctly, insider trading is legal for congress critters, but not legal for us peons.

Yes, I think so. Seems obvious we need to somehow ban them from buying shares in any publicly traded company. Probably would take an amendment.

Then again, constitutional limits don't mean much to them.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2022, 03:48:43 PM »
^^

That is actually one of AOC's hobby horses.  Trying to ban legislators from owning stock in public companies.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2022, 03:52:23 PM »
^^

That is actually one of AOC's hobby horses.  Trying to ban legislators from owning stock in public companies.

Ironically in AOCs idea world there would be no public companies
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2022, 04:22:38 PM »
Ironically in AOCs idea world there would be no public companies

Problem ==> Solution.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2022, 06:32:57 PM »
Not sure I want to ban them from doing anything.  Start with just requiring them to report any income or transaction more than $1000.  Require immediate family members and members of household to do the same. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2022, 07:41:43 PM »
Not sure I want to ban them from doing anything.  Start with just requiring them to report any income or transaction more than $1000.  Require immediate family members and members of household to do the same. 

Family members would be great. My father was in aviation electronics from mid 60's to mid 80's. Worked with Lear and big oil companies. He told me several stories of being at a place discussing upgrades and someone would say we need to fly to somewhere and pick up congressman so and so's wife and take her here. The best one was when Bill Lear looked at him and said I guess we are having lunch in Vegas. Or so you want lunch in Vegas?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2022, 08:36:56 PM »
I would say gifts or in-kind services should be reported no matter the value. 

Where it gets hazy is talking about brothers/sisters/in-laws/cousins who are linked to the congressman.  How far do you go?

An example:  there was an online grocery store that burned down in the Netherlands after one of the farmer protests there.  The grocery store is part of a chain owned all or in part by the brother of the minister who did the "nitrogen" law that is screwing over farmers.  Bill Gates' foundation invested in the chain.  I am sure that had no connection at all the minister or the climate change legislation.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 08:50:10 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2022, 09:11:47 AM »

Insider trading is illegal for congress also.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2022, 09:33:58 AM »
Another small corner of the cake they get to eatL:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamandrzejewski/2020/05/29/perks-members-of-congress-give-to-themselves--the-selfie-report/

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/congress-members-perks-pay

Just samples.  Yes, we can start at term limitations to make elected offices (at all levels) less palatable, but don't forget they hold their own purse strings.

They charge what the market will bear and we can't outsource our governance to India.   =|

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2022, 10:22:38 AM »
Another small corner of the cake they get to eatL:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamandrzejewski/2020/05/29/perks-members-of-congress-give-to-themselves--the-selfie-report/

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/congress-members-perks-pay

Just samples.  Yes, we can start at term limitations to make elected offices (at all levels) less palatable, but don't forget they hold their own purse strings.

They charge what the market will bear and we can't outsource our governance to India.   =|

At least in India the bribery and other corruption is fairly openly conducted.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2022, 01:13:28 PM »
Insider trading is illegal for congress also.

I stand corrected.  I was responding with rather old information.  After the passage of the Stock Act, PUBLIC LAW 112–105, on April. 4, 2012, it became specifically illegal for congress critters to buy or trade stock using insider information.  Prior to that time it was uncertain whether insider stock trading was illegal for them, and if it was, there was serious doubt to whether they could actually be successfully prosecuted for same.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2022, 07:18:32 PM »
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2022, 09:37:09 AM »
The Associated Press headline says it all, published by hundreds of outlets: “Paul Pelosi gets 5 days in jail, 3 years of probation in DUI.”

That could cause a reasonable person to think that despite his wealth and political status, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s husband faced some amount of justice. After all, five days in jail and three years of probation isn’t nothing, especially for an 82-year-old man

The problem? It’s completely untrue.
Disappointing but not surprising
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2022, 06:48:39 PM »
Hell, I got more time than that in the Napa County Jail for possession of 1/2 of a joint back in '74.