Author Topic: Kydex pocket holsters?  (Read 1504 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Kydex pocket holsters?
« on: August 28, 2022, 02:32:24 PM »
I finally bought the LCP Max I've been mulling for a few months now. I figure a kydex holster will be thinner/less printy in the pocket than the cloth or leather type. Right?

Looking at this one.
https://www.vedderholsters.com/pocket-locker-holster/

I like that that one can be ordered with a "tab," an extension to the sweat shield, so the holster can be pushed off with the thumb.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 02:47:43 PM by Perd Hapley »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Kydex pocket holsters?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 03:32:29 PM »
I finally bought the LCP Max I've been mulling for a few months now. I figure a kydex holster will be thinner/less printy in the pocket than the cloth or leather type. Right?

For thin and unprinty, check out Mika.

Looking at this one.
https://www.vedderholsters.com/pocket-locker-holster/

I like that that one can be ordered with a "tab," an extension to the sweat shield, so the holster can be pushed off with the thumb.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 04:13:47 PM »
For thin and unprinty, check out Mika.

How are those made?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 04:46:17 PM »
"For thin and unprinty, check out Mika."

Uhm... Da fuq?

It asked me for the MAKE of my firearm...

I typed in Smith & Wesson and hit enter....

It added a holster to my cart.

Uhm... just WTF fits in that holster? It never gave me options for a model.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 04:48:36 PM »
Same thing with the waistband holster... No ability to pick the freaking model of the gun that you're going to stuff in the holster.

It must be a technical problem with the website. At least I hope to hell that it is.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2022, 05:13:42 PM »
Same thing with the waistband holster... No ability to pick the freaking model of the gun that you're going to stuff in the holster.

It must be a technical problem with the website. At least I hope to hell that it is.

Or they are just assuming you are going to be carrying a J frame instead of stuffing an N frame into your pocket. Website (owners/developers) shouldn't make assumptions. They can be wrong too many times. ;)

bob

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2022, 05:17:23 PM »
What I don't like about the website is that it says the holsters are, "solidly constructed of a combination of lightweight materials," but doesn't say what those materials are.

But they must be better than this thing.

http://jacksonleatherwork.com/2015/02/great-quality-holster/

Can't imagine how that one works.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2022, 05:20:55 PM »
I think when it asks which make, it intends you to enter the model as well.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2022, 05:51:08 PM »
For a thin Kydex holster that doesn’t print, try Aholster.

https://aholster.com/pocket-aholster/
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2022, 05:53:33 PM »
N=1

Kydex skeletonized OWB holster for Kahr CW-9. Came with the gun.

Need a fork lift to draw it.

Decided I did not like molded holsters.   But they look cool.  Gave up trying to unprint autos in pocket, so I carry a laser-sighted J-frame without a holster, just looks like a pocketful of junk with the cylinder disrupting the gun's lines.  Also reduces "tactical as all get-out and ready for a small war with a chip on my shoulder" look if I'm investigated.

I do carry a five-shot speed loader in the other pocket which actually is full of junk. I figure if I need 5 + 5 I've got a problem I can't solve with a gun.  Yeah, I know, the speed loader is "tactical," but "forgivably tactical" since hey, I've only got a little rinky-dinky 5-shooter, Officer.  (Or DA.)  Think, like HeroHog, "I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!"

On the other hand, retired, and I no longer circulate in areas where I might need any shots.

=D

N=1

N is me.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 06:18:15 PM by 230RN »

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2022, 06:03:54 PM »
The G43 is in the right pocket. Weekends, there is sometimes the J-frame in the left pocket. Some weekend nights, the shirttail is no longer inside the pants...
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2022, 07:35:11 PM »
I think when it asks which make, it intends you to enter the model as well.
That is what I was thinking.  The site does say they are "custom handmade holsters".
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2022, 10:38:57 PM »
The G43 is in the right pocket. Weekends, there is sometimes the J-frame in the left pocket. Some weekend nights, the shirttail is no longer inside the pants...

Is the G43 in something that protects the trigger while it's in your pocket, or do you not have a round in the chamber?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2022, 06:58:56 AM »
That is what I was thinking.  The site does say they are "custom handmade holsters".

Shitty site instructions. I wonder how many customers he:

1. Has to reach out to to figure out what he's making, and

2. Has lost because they don't want to deal with guessing game websites.

As of right now I'm in category 2. I'm not going to assume that he's a better holster maker than he is in planning out a website. For too many quality holsters from far too many quality makers without having to head scratch it out.

Every time I think I'm finally going to try out a kydex holster I end up circling back and buying a leather holster. Just have never been able to make that leap.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 07:15:10 AM by K Frame »

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2022, 09:05:33 AM »
For a thin Kydex holster that doesn’t print, try Aholster.

https://aholster.com/pocket-aholster/

This is what I use for my LCP, I like it.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2022, 06:15:49 PM »
Or I could go this route:

https://bsholster.com/

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2022, 07:37:09 PM »
Or I could go this route:

https://bsholster.com/

I've often thought that shooting through my pants pocket was an unlikely happening, but a tactical option if I was ready to accept possible injury from muzzle blast and a slight disruption of the trajectory.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 09:18:36 AM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2022, 05:15:53 PM »
Ignoring all your fine advice, I have ordered the Vedder holster from the OP. It just makes sense to me, because it has a back-up method (the tab), in case the holster doesn’t come off the gun during the draw. There are some other makers that do the same, but the Vedder lays flat, instead of sticking out toward the wearer’s thigh.

There are a lot of people (on other sites) recommending the Mika holsters, but it’s weird that he doesn’t talk about what they’re made of. Also, a holster like that intentionally has no retention, which I don’t quite understand.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2022, 06:01:19 PM »
Well, frankly I don't understand the use of a pocket holster anyway. The one exception was where my winter coat pockets were too large and the gun would turn upside-down in there.  So experimentally, I fashioned a "holster" out of cardboard to prevent that and it worked pretty well but I never transferred the design to leather.

I've made a couple of holsters from "farmer's packs" of leather from the farm store for field carry (long before CCW became an option in Colorado.)  My best design was for my 1911 whose design goal was to be made out of one piece of leather.  Note even the stitching and retaining loop was with leather thong.  The retention strap can be kept under the hammer for Condition 1 carry.

Terry, 230RN

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2022, 06:55:43 PM »
I love pocket holsters. I've carried either a Taurus PT-22 or a Smith 042 in pocket holsters for over 20 years.

Great way to carry a small gun.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2022, 07:03:16 PM »
Well, frankly I don't understand the use of a pocket holster anyway.

Carry a striker fired gun without external safeties in your pocket without a holster for a while, and eventually you'll understand what a pocket holster is for, though it might be an uncomfortable lesson.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2022, 07:27:59 PM »
Ignoring all your fine advice, I have ordered the Vedder holster from the OP. It just makes sense to me, because it has a back-up method (the tab), in case the holster doesn’t come off the gun during the draw. There are some other makers that do the same, but the Vedder lays flat, instead of sticking out toward the wearer’s thigh.

There are a lot of people (on other sites) recommending the Mika holsters, but it’s weird that he doesn’t talk about what they’re made of. Also, a holster like that intentionally has no retention, which I don’t quite understand.

Here's mine.  The material is thin and "mostly stiff".  You can see that it's partially formed to the gun.  (Desantis Nemesis, my usual goto for pocket holsters, also does this.  But, the material is thicker.)

Retention is from sitting deep in a pocket.

I got this in, probably, 2009.  In intermittent use since, whenever my shifting whim has me carrying the Taurus 605.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2022, 10:11:48 PM »
Here's mine.  The material is thin and "mostly stiff".  You can see that it's partially formed to the gun.  (Desantis Nemesis, my usual goto for pocket holsters, also does this.  But, the material is thicker.)

Retention is from sitting deep in a pocket.

I got this in, probably, 2009.  In intermittent use since, whenever my shifting whim has me carrying the Taurus 605.

That is the first photo of a Mika holster I've seen that makes them look thin. The photos on his website make them seem very bulky.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2022, 10:29:17 PM »
I’ve tried pocket carry in shorts and jeans with a P365 and a Hellcat and always go back to IWB instead. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2022, 02:02:24 AM »
I’ve tried pocket carry in shorts and jeans with a P365 and a Hellcat and always go back to IWB instead.

What went wrong?