Author Topic: missing sailors/are we at war?  (Read 678 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
missing sailors/are we at war?
« on: January 13, 2024, 01:01:54 PM »
https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4406936-us-navy-sailors-reported-missing/

missing sailors were conducting an operation? that means they were in a firefight, doesn't it? were they a Seal team?
Are they calling it an operation to hide something?

I'm really suspicious that they were engaged in something that walks/talks/looks like war but they're calling it something else because .... they can't admit it for some reason as well as they dislike giving the money benefit families get ( well , iirc families used to get a cash b ennie  IDK if they still do )

I think they know very well what happened, that they're not missing at all .... however I am not even close to an expert on military or foreign affairs
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: missing sailors/are we at war?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2024, 01:50:59 PM »
The US hasn't formally declared war since June 5, 1942.

I'm not sure that the operations by the 5th Fleet is called.

I'm not sure what shooting at the Houthis is being called.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2024, 03:01:19 PM »
The United States has had FAR more "authorized" military activities than declared wars.

Gulf Wars I and II were both authorized, the first by the UN, the second by Congress.

The Korean War was authorized by the UN.

The Vietnam War was authorized by Congress.

And so forth and so on.

You don't have to declare war to engage your military.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2024, 04:36:23 PM »
It could be anything from a flight crew that went missing, to two dudes in a zodiac that they lost, to yeah some NAVSPECWAR guys not exfiling from Yeman on time.

Whatever they were or were not doing doesn't put us more at war than the missiles and airstrikes.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2024, 04:42:31 PM »
to yeah some NAVSPECWAR guys not exfiling from Yeman on time.

From what I read this morning, those air strikes have been in the planning stages for a while. Both for target designation and timing to minimizing civilian casualties. Given that, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we had snake eaters and/or CIA assets running around doing surveillance and painting targets over the last few weeks.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2024, 04:43:41 PM »
We're on a need to know basis and it's been determined we don't need to know.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2024, 05:02:00 PM »
ABC news is reporting that it was two SEALS that fell overboard during a boarding event off Somalia.  No other information besides that.
My guess is they were boarding a ship taken by pirates.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2024, 05:11:56 PM »
The United States has had FAR more "authorized" military activities than declared wars.

Gulf Wars I and II were both authorized, the first by the UN, the second by Congress.

And so forth and so on.

Exactly. The US has been perpetually at "NOT WAR", someplace, for some reason (or non-reason), since: choose what ever date you fancy, you won't be wrong
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2024, 08:06:45 PM »
Two Navy SEALs are missing off the coast of Somalia after one of them slipped while trying to climb a ladder on board a ship.

The military personnel were on an interdiction mission, climbing up a vessel when one got knocked off by high waves in the rough sea on Saturday, according to US officials.

Under their protocol, when one SEAL falls overboard, the next jumps in after them.

Both of them are still missing and a search and and rescue mission is underway.

The SEALs have not been identified yet and it is not clear what vessel they were trying to board or why.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12960415/Navy-seals-missing-coast-somalia-slipped-ship.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2024, 08:20:06 PM »
The US hasn't formally declared war since June 5, 1942.

And so forth and so on.

I keep hearing just another push and we will win the war on poverty and that the troops will be home by Christmas
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2024, 10:52:41 PM »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12960415/Navy-seals-missing-coast-somalia-slipped-ship.html

chit.

that's a bummer.
 any chance that they may be rescued? don't they have location beacons or something?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2024, 08:40:12 AM »
I keep hearing just another push and we will win the war on poverty and that the troops will be home by Christmas

We are winning the War on Poverty, and we have the Democrats to thank for it!

Oh, and we only need to throw a few more hundred trillion dollars at the problem and we'll have utopia!

Or, actually what the Democrats replaced poverty with -- the new plantation society with Uncle Sam as financial 'massa.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2024, 08:59:16 AM »

Oh, and we only need to throw a few more hundred trillion dollars at the problem and we'll have utopia!

Or, actually what the Democrats replaced poverty with -- the new plantation society with Uncle Sam as financial 'massa.
Democrats are recruiting voters into their FSA military arm - the Free Stuff Army.

We saw some of their first operations in 2020, code named Mostly Peaceful Protests.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2024, 02:26:33 PM »

It's Joe Biden's campaign for the Nobel Peace Prize    :rofl:

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2024, 09:50:18 PM »

The War on Poverty was going so well we are importing millions of poor from other countries.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2024, 12:36:32 PM »
Reported still missing
More info if you trust anything from the Wash Post

Navy SEALs lost at sea were searching for Yemen-bound weapons shipment
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2024/01/14/navy-seals-lost-at-sea-iran-weapons-yemen/
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2024, 08:00:21 PM »
Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia Eastasia.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2024, 09:33:39 PM »
Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia Eastasia.

It is now time for our two minutes of hate as we gaze at and scream with fury at the Orange Man, or Brandon.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2024, 08:33:04 PM »
If I read correctly, the first SEAL hot knocked off the boarding ladder by a wave, and a SEAL in one of the boats jumped in to help the first.  Story says it's protocol.  Still one hell of a thing to do, jumping into rough seas to help someone, knowing damn well you might not come back. 

No greater love hath man than he lay down his life for his brother.

I hope their suffering, if any, was brief, and whatever God(s) they chose grabbed them up.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark