Author Topic: Amazon/ Rings of Power  (Read 2905 times)

grampster

• friend
Amazon/ Rings of Power
« on: September 03, 2022, 01:22:06 PM »
I'll admit I've been looking forward to last night.  The new Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power series was to begin.  There has been some internet warbling about it not being very good.  I usually take those sorts of comments with a grain of salt.  The cost was nearly a billion dollars it is said.  For that kind of money you'd think It'd be pretty good....It is a Lord of the Rings adventure, albeit 1000 years before The Hobbit.  I read all the books. The first time every one of them continuously 24 hours a day with naps while I recuperated from a foot surgery in the early 80's.  Then a couple times after that over the years.  I've seen the movies and really enjoyed them.  I'm not a nit picking fan, but I was pleased at how the movies were compared to the books.

Well, mark me disappointed with Amazons major foul up.  The first two episodes were on last night.  I kept nodding off during the first episode.  If there was a plot, I must have been nodding off when it was displayed.  I managed to stay awake for the beginning of the 2nd episode, but I quickly became bored and actually picked up my phone to see if I had any messages.  I wound up turning it off and going to bed.  In the words of the immortal whatsizname, "I am disappoint."

They must have spent all the billion dollars on special effects and background, and forgot to check for good writing.  The players make up was fairly good, except for the elves who didn't look very elfish except for the pointy ears.  The dwarfs were done pretty well, but the hobbits were a scroungy bunch and not very hobbit like at all.  I think I may have had a glimpse of an ogre just a nanosecond before I turned it off. 

Sigh...

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Amazon/ Rings of Power
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 02:31:44 PM »

They must have spent all the billion dollars on special effects and background, and forgot to check for good writing. 

I haven't watched it, and don't know if I will, but that seems to be the consensus: Outstanding visuals, but absolute crap writing.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 02:44:53 PM »
How many here have read The Silmarillion?
I have and from what I've seen on YT I have no intention of seeing RoP.

Not helping that Amazon, studio, and some of the actors are calling anyone who doesn't like it racist and bigoted

Epic Backfire! The Rings Of Power BLASTS Fans After Bad Reviews But THIS Time It Doesn't Work!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Eyt8H9NFU
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 04:31:09 PM »
They hate heritage American values.
They hate Christianity.
They hate heritage American culture.
They hate classical Western literature and everything stemming from it, in any form.
They hate White European culture.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that they to invert, converge, pollute and attempt to ruin anything that has to do with The Lord of the Rings.

Knowing the small crowd that hangs out here I feel confident they hate you as well.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 04:39:25 PM »
They hate heritage American values.
They hate Christianity.
They hate heritage American culture.
They hate classical Western literature and everything stemming from it, in any form.
They hate White European culture.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that they to invert, converge, pollute and attempt to ruin anything that has to do with The Lord of the Rings.

Knowing the small crowd that hangs out here I feel confident they hate you as well.

Need a They Hate Me tee-shirt
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2022, 05:08:55 PM »
Here is what other's think of it.  The Hollywood reviewers, of course, believe that anyone who didn't like it, were "racists".  LOL.

"However, the reviews tell a different story. Many of the people panning “Rings of Power” say it’s a visual masterpiece with an impressive score, but the dialogue is clunky and it’s difficult to connect with the characters. They are not angry about diversity initiatives. They just think it’s an unworthy adaptation.

“Complete disaster of a show, boring story, horrible characters (especially Galadriel), poorly written dialogs [sic], and it’s just two first episodes of the show. Above else, no respect for Tolkien and his work,” one person shared.

“The first episode was painful to watch. Not even the gorgeous CG backgrounds could save this mess. The dialogue was baffling. It sounded like they asked an AI to write it. The acting was uninspired and the protagonist was unsympathetic and unlikeable,” another agreed.

“While the visuals do not disappoint, not once did they manage to make me care about any of the characters,” another person shared.

“They forgot to spend their big budget on what matters: the dialogue is robotic and lifeless, the way the story is written conveys little to no emotion, and everything feels generic as if it was an unlicensed adaptation. The soul is just not there.”

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2022, 06:12:37 PM »
... "The soul is just not there.”

Soulless with a different spirit.

Tolkien believed in the transcendence of the Virtuous, the True and the Beautiful as well as a transcendent spirit of evil that brings corruption, death and destruction.

Draining the material of its life and housing it in a technologically amazing golem is more or less what should have been expected.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2022, 07:04:30 PM »
Is Lord of Rings a movie series or something?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2022, 07:24:31 PM »
Is Lord of Rings a movie series or something?

Amazon's woeful attempt at a series and playing off the LoTR.  750 million dollars of disjointed, plotless dreck so far.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2022, 07:33:41 PM »
Amazon's woeful attempt at a series and playing off the LoTR.  750 million dollars of disjointed, plotless dreck so far.
Sorry grampster  =(
The Peter Jackson movies actually exceeded my expectations, I was pleasantly surprised at that adaptation. Not perfect but a solid achievement.
Then the Hobbit movies didn't stack up and from everything I was reading leading up to the Amazon series, it was an easy call they were going to be a trainwreck.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2022, 07:59:37 PM »
I have and from what I've seen on YT I have no intention of seeing RoP.

Not helping that Amazon, studio, and some of the actors are calling anyone who doesn't like it racist and bigoted

Epic Backfire! The Rings Of Power BLASTS Fans After Bad Reviews But THIS Time It Doesn't Work!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Eyt8H9NFU

They don't have the rights to the Silmarillion,  only some appendices was what I heard.  Hence the contrived story with original characters.  They're adding a bunch of nonsense to the Second Age that Tolkien didn't write.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2022, 08:59:06 PM »
Amazon is Buffalo Bill, and lotr is the skinsuit.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2022, 09:22:33 AM »
^ Nice one!

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2022, 03:52:25 PM »

Yeah. Once. Too tedious for a regular re-read.

To be perfectly honest, if Tolkien hadn't been sort of the first to do an epic Fantasy work in the more or less modern era, I wouldn't even say he was a great writer. Even the Hobbit/LOTR series can be tedious to read. It's a great story, don't get me wrong, but there are parts that are just plain wordy and boring.

After what Amazon did to WoT series, I'm not even going to attempt to watch their interpretation of Tokien's world until I see some sort of stellar feedback.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2022, 04:39:37 PM »
The bad news for Amazon: You have a giant global disaster on your hands.
The good news: The Memes!  :rofl:

Still watching but that was at the very beginning

Here's Nerdrotic

The Rings of Power is ABYSMAL | Amazon's Billion Dollar DISASTER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnEXip1KsLk
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2022, 04:55:39 PM »
OMG

Miscast
Badly written
WTF? dialog
Awful acting

This could have been spectacular but instead we got

Thanks Jeff
Now where are my *expletive deleted*ing rocket engines?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 05:15:52 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2022, 12:24:20 AM »
I've come up with a name for the people writing fantasy for Amazon:

RingRafes.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2022, 12:42:01 AM »
[Shelby] But remember, no hate watching!  No fooking hate watching! [/Shelby]

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2022, 01:05:40 AM »
Watched the first 2 episodes.  Less woke than I feared so far.  More woke than I’d hoped for though. 

The proto-hobbits were disjointed and not especially coherent.  Adding random black actors seemed strange.  I mean, white chick with a black husband and producing white kids was kinda strange.  At least they should be consistent.

And the meteor guy needs a lot more explanation (guessing he must become Gandalf or something, probably a Maia at any rate).  And the black lady as Durin’s wife didn’t make a lot of sense.  I don’t care especially, but a medieval kind of setting, with Scottish accents just doesn’t work with black actors.  An accent other than Scottish and maybe it might have worked a little better.  The black guy playing an elf?  Eh, whatevs.  Don’t mind that so much.

Galadriel is too wooden.  When she’s not cartoonish.  She needs to be more than a revenge obsessed automaton.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2022, 10:03:47 AM »
RoP is to Peter Jackson's LotR what Ghostbusters 2016 is to Ghostbusters.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2022, 10:06:38 AM »
I saw that Amazon is deleting negative reviews.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2022, 10:13:48 AM »
I saw that Amazon is deleting negative reviews.  :laugh:

Also IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2022, 12:23:19 PM »
Needs Orc orgies

Part of me would have loved it if Amazon had done a George R.R. Martin and sexed up Middle-earth a little, giving us orc orgies and horny hobbits (and, in the process, perhaps giving a whole new meaning to “Lord of the Rings”)

Oh and more you're a racist if you don't like it

Amazon’s ‘The Rings of Powers’ Is Not for Purists or Racists
https://www.haaretz.com/life/television/2022-09-04/ty-article/.premium/amazons-lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power-is-not-for-purists-or-racists/00000183-0789-d0be-a7ef-cfbf72ec0000
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2022, 12:34:53 PM »
Also IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes

I don't know who owns rotten tomatoes, but I believe imdb is still owned by Amazon.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2022, 03:22:55 PM »
Turns out the reviews are more entertaining than the actual show.